Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,418,586 times

Advertisements

Cowardice or not, I consider it the ultimate act of selfishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I've heard it referred to that way.

I had a coworker who used to say it was the coward's way out, because instead of dealing with your problems you leave them PLUS the tragedy of your death for your loved ones to handle.
A person in serious depression can't rationally think about all these things, though. Do you think they can?

Old 01-07-2019, 09:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Cowardice or not, I consider it the ultimate act of selfishness.
And you have zero understanding of depression and mental illness.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:08 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
It's the complete opposite! Those that choose to continue on in the poor-excuse-for-a-world are the real cowards!

It takes courage to do something like that! And many suicides are unplanned, call it the straw that broke the camel's back!

Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Your psychology professor is ignorant. There are people in chronic, debilitating pain whose every waking moment is an inescapable, fiery hell. There are others born severely deformed or with horrible disfiguring diseases that make them an outcast, and/or severely make even basic life functions very difficult. Often they are extremely lonely on top of this due to their conditions. They are not able to ever wake from their living nightmares. And this professor dares call such people cowards? I can guarantee they've endured far more than this professor could endure. Let him/her switch lives with such people and see how long he or she would suffer.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
This is the very best description I've ever seen of the damage inflicted by suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPkDFO7WTW4
I am sorry for what you personally went through with your husband. I cannot imagine. In the suicide letter I wrote, I went out of the way not to blame anyone, including my ex-wife, from the choice I myself had made (and was so bad at carrying out). But I believe you are putting what your husband did on all the other suicides who weren't be your husband. Also, I don't know what showing a clip from "The Blacklist" talking about a suicide bomber has to do with the subject at hand.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Well, consider suicide bombers.

Such a coward to do it that way instead of facing your enemy and fighting.......so it might be said.

EDIT: replied off OP, not the post above.

But there is something to be said of how unhonorable it is not to allow the other side a chance for rematch......at least by those asking for a rematch.

THE THING IS that in war, there really is no honor to begin with. Honor is evenly matched while war is hitting with overwhelming force to win. One man taking out a platoon (hard/soft kills) with a Claymore AP mine is probably not honorable but it is effective and how the US has done it (conceptually speaking).

So what is the difference between that and the man who drove the truck into the Beirut Marine barracks, other than he had no intention of coming back?

Old 01-08-2019, 06:16 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, consider suicide bombers.

Such a coward to do it that way instead of facing your enemy and fighting.......so it might be said.
We're talking about people who kill themselves, not suicide bombers or people who do a murder/suicide. Those folks are evil. We're talking about people that for whatever matter can no longer take the pain of life and do away with themselves and only themselves. Suicide bombers are an entirely different matter.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
We're talking about people who kill themselves, not suicide bombers or people who do a murder/suicide. Those folks are evil. We're talking about people that for whatever matter can no longer take the pain of life and do away with themselves and only themselves. Suicide bombers are an entirely different matter.

IYHO.

After speed reading all the pages, I see no evidence that the conversation is limited only to one person. Such as the mention of the Goebbels and Cpt. Oates, where a person, supposedly in the former, felt an association to the organization to commit suicide. In the former, they took others with them, in the latter, he supposedly took no one but on the other hand, did that decision put a burden on others?

Depends on their background story. If a person sees no future in their life, such as pain, they may take the route of the suicide bomber or, as Robert Heinlein put it, "when the most popular form of suicide is take a rifle atop a tower and let the riot squad settle it".

Besides, A and B. A: Do we know the total background story of the prof who "started" this discussion?

B: As the post above pointed out.........

Whether they go out alone or they take others, intentionally or not, it usually starts with the decision of one person.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-08-2019 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
By the definition of the word, they are cowards.

cow·ard
/ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
noun: coward; plural noun: cowards
a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.
You don't think the act of taking one's life is dangerous and unpleasant? I cannot think of many ways to commit suicide that are pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology