Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:52 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because getting somewhere faster is not always the goal.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Thanks. So you agree with me that carelessness and recklessness can happen regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am a slow walker due to physical reasons and am very much aware of it. So I always hug the wall on my right and am always telling people to come on past, etc.

The funny thing is, they almost never get there any faster. I'll have folks breathing down my neck and I'll encourage them to please go on ahead. Then we'll wind up in the same elevator, even though it took me longer to get there.

Same for making a big play to get ahead of someone on the road and then ending up at the same red light.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:20 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Same for making a big play to get ahead of someone on the road and then ending up at the same red light.
As many of us stated, it’s not always about getting there faster. As I stated for myself, it is my natural pace to eat fast walk fast talk fast. It has nothing to do with being in a hurry. Again, most people object to having their own pace be dictated by someone else, it’s not really about getting anywhere at a certain time. I don’t drive that fast, maybe I’ll go 57 in a 50 on a royal road with no intersections. So just don’t pull out in front of me going 52 that’s all I ask. The majority of the time there’s no one behind me on these roads yet people do that anyway.

People love to make it about extremes on these boards. If you’re not quiet, you must be a constant babbler who constantly interrupt people. If you’re not a slow poke, you must drive 100 miles an hour and weave in and out of cars. Most people are well in the middle. The word slow poke implies someone going significantly slower than the flow.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:07 AM

658 posts, read 722,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m guessing though that you don’t deliberately cut people off who are walking faster, and get in front of them. That is the difference.
How on earth could I possibly DO that if I can't even catch up to them in the first place? By nature of physics if they are walking fast they should be able to outwalk me if I'm slower than they are. What you're saying doesn't make any sense. Like I'm going to force myself to be in pain just to get my body in front of someone by running up alongside them and then jumping in front of them and stopping? Have you ever seen someone do that in a normal everyday social setting? Especially someone who has mobility issues?

Old 02-28-2019, 09:07 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
OK so now people tooling in the left lane cause crashes, people in the center lane cause crashes and people in the right lane cause crashes. Is there ANY lane for people who don't drive 100 MPH?

And people don't have the right to drive at all if they meet the criteria above? really? Whatever happened to freedom in this world, or does freedom only apply to you?
Oh cute, the old let's-jump-to-extremes Internet ploy.

Nowhere did I say anything about 100 mph, so just stop. Nor did I say people can't drive in the right lane. That IS where pokey drivers belong. Signs on the highways say "Slower traffic keep right", don't they?

I am saying if you won't or can't keep up with the flow of traffic and are not comfortable maintaining the speed limit on a major highway, stay to the right! That's a basic rule of driving. Forcing everyone to go around you is dangerous.

And yes, if you are so unsure of your driving skills that highway driving frightens you, stay off major highways. You are putting others in danger. Take local roads. Better yet, take a driving class or see a therapist to get over your anxiety about driving.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
As many of us stated, it’s not always about getting there faster. As I stated for myself, it is my natural pace to eat fast walk fast talk fast. It has nothing to do with being in a hurry. Again, most people object to having their own pace be dictated by someone else, it’s not really about getting anywhere at a certain time. I don’t drive that fast, maybe I’ll go 57 in a 50 on a royal road with no intersections. So just don’t pull out in front of me going 52 that’s all I ask. The majority of the time there’s no one behind me on these roads yet people do that anyway.

People love to make it about extremes on these boards. If you’re not quiet, you must be a constant babbler who constantly interrupt people. If you’re not a slow poke, you must drive 100 miles an hour and weave in and out of cars. Most people are well in the middle. The word slow poke implies someone going significantly slower than the flow.
And why is that seen as someone who has to then change to suit others when the "faster" people don't need to slow down to accommodate the slower ones? Why is it absolutely one sided that courtesy must be given to the fast people and not the slow people? Why is that?

And eating fast will give you gas. Fact.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh cute, the old let's-jump-to-extremes Internet ploy.

Nowhere did I say anything about 100 mph, so just stop.

I am saying if you won't or can't keep up with the flow of traffic and are not comfortable maintaining the speed limit on a major highway, stay to the right! That's a basic rule of driving. Forcing everyone to go around you is dangerous.
It isn't dangerous unless you have no ability to control your emotions. Why is it a grown adult can't be expected to learn to cope with things like this? If you are managing your time properly and haven't already made yourself late and you know your route, you have to expect that not everyone on the road is going to drive the way you dictate. That's life. Why should people who want to go fast or above the speed limit be treated as victims and the slower people treated as perpetrators? If someone is not going as fast as you want them to, what can you do about it except get your blood pressure up and seethe and lose the ability to make proper decisions? You're only in control of yourself and how you react to things. You can't control everyone else. Seems the "fast" people have a problem coping when other folks don't do what they want.

And you can still get a ticket for going over the limit just to pass someone. So go tell the police they're not supposed to ticket people for that because they aren't aware.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
And why is that seen as someone who has to then change to suit others when the "faster" people don't need to slow down to accommodate the slower ones? Why is it absolutely one sided that courtesy must be given to the fast people and not the slow people? Why is that?

And eating fast will give you gas. Fact.
There are a lot of downsides to eating fast.

Some people are more mindful, taking more time to do everything. They have that right just as the speedy people have a right to rush around.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You should be going fast when you pass someone. If you’re in the left lane for a mile and a half to pass a few cars, you’re doing it incorrectly. On two lane roads even more so, the longer you’re in the lane of oncoming traffic the greater the risk. You pass as quickly as possible and get back over.
Tell that to the cop who ticketed my husband for speeding up to pass someone on a highway.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:27 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
It isn't dangerous unless you have no ability to control your emotions. Why is it a grown adult can't be expected to learn to cope with things like this? If you are managing your time properly and haven't already made yourself late and you know your route, you have to expect that not everyone on the road is going to drive the way you dictate. That's life. Why should people who want to go fast or above the speed limit be treated as victims and the slower people treated as perpetrators? If someone is not going as fast as you want them to, what can you do about it except get your blood pressure up and seethe and lose the ability to make proper decisions? You're only in control of yourself and how you react to things. You can't control everyone else. Seems the "fast" people have a problem coping when other folks don't do what they want.

And you can still get a ticket for going over the limit just to pass someone. So go tell the police they're not supposed to ticket people for that because they aren't aware.
My blood pressure's great, thanks for your concern.

I'm retired, so I don't have to worry about time management that much. But I drive long distances all the time, and I see these poor driving habits and the problems they cause.

Again with the drama and extremes. No one is telling you to speed. We're saying keep the flow moving or stay to the right like the law says. It is DANGEROUS to do 50/55 in the center or left lanes on a posted 65 mph highway, just as dangerous as driving at too high a speed. It also causes slowdowns in high-volume areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology