Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times

Advertisements

I am genetically blessed to be naturally skinny and have good looks, and the only place I have fat is my belly. It's incredibly difficult for me to eat less, and so my pants have gotten tighter in the last few years. That's the only body part that I hate.

And yes, it is discouraging that celebrities eat right and exercise and look physically fit, but I cannot do the same. I understand that they are highly motivated to look good because they know the public will judge them on their body, but even if they do struggle and hate it, they are still able to reap rewards from their efforts. I have not and cannot.

I'm not too concerned about my weight. I just want to shrink my belly fat. I've been doing cardio 30 minutes 6 days a week for the last 4 months and my belly has not even shrunken a single millimeter. Anyone else in my position would've lost something. Granted, overeating is my weakness, but it's hard to keep trying when there are 0 results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My wife contends that the false images of young, middle aged, and even senior women on Tv, print media, movies etc, make the average woman feel ugly.

So this question is for the ladies: Do you feel that all or parts of your body are ugly, gross, etc? Does this bother you a lot?

If it true, this is a shame because these women spend a small fortune on hair, makeup, clothes, they work out, spend money on plastic surgery, and on to of that, most of the still images are photoshopped. There's no way the average women can afford what these women in the public eye spend on their appearance.

I was told all throughout school - from elementary through middle, graduation and beyond - that I was ugly. My own mother was disgusted with how clothes never fit me right and my hair would never stay "in place." I went through my teens as a short, shapeless goof with fly-away hair, bad acne, and skin allergies so bad that I looked like I was suffering from hives all the time. My body has unfortunately not changed much - still short, stocky, nothing really all that refined or dazzling about my appearance. It is my opinion that most women are not as much trying to look like print and movie stars as they are striving not to be an awkward plain jane. No woman wants to be that.

So no, it's not necessarily the photoshopped images but the real world responses from my peers, family, and when the general public telling me that all parts of me are ugly. And yes, it bothers me because I've never wanted to accept being continuously categorized as "odd and ugly," i.e. being unattractive as friend, partner, being avoided, feelings trampled on and/or completely ignored an awful lot. I say for the women out there who care about their appearance and can change it if they want, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology