Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times

Advertisements

I find it very sad how parents treat their kids when it comes to looks. Now past 65, I see young women are for the most part very attractive. (as long as they arent obese or way too thin. I hope you have bfs or husbands that tell you you're attractive, and you take it to heart. I bet in most cases they mean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,407,229 times
Yea, my parents did a number on me too when I was younger. I'm dark-skinned, and I grew up in a time when that was considered ugly. I was teased by both my parents and the kids at school because of my skin tone.

Fast forward about 40 years, and I love how I look, dark-skin and all. I don't consider myself beautiful at all, average I suppose. I take care of my skin and hair, keep my brows tweezed, I exercise, I have a positive outlook. I don't consider myself ugly either. Perhaps others do, but that's their problem, not mine.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
From the replies it sounds like parents are a bigger problem than “the media.”

Which shouldn’t be surprising.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My wife contends that the false images of young, middle aged, and even senior women on Tv, print media, movies etc, make the average woman feel ugly.

So this question is for the ladies: Do you feel that all or parts of your body are ugly, gross, etc? Does this bother you a lot?

If it true, this is a shame because these women spend a small fortune on hair, makeup, clothes, they work out, spend money on plastic surgery, and on to of that, most of the still images are photoshopped. There's no way the average women can afford what these women in the public eye spend on their appearance.
I've always known that I will never meet the ideal that popular culture decides is attractive. However, having the good fortune to be raised by parents who taught me it's OK not to conform, to accept what really doesn't need to be altered, and not to base my self worth on the superficial, it doesn't bother me that much. Did this mean some of the teasing didn't sting or that I don't get a bit discouraged with my appearance sometimes? Of course not. I have just learned its not the end of the world. Learned a long long time ago that media images are not reality. The intent is to create desire and dissatisfaction which takes money out of some pockets and puts it into others.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I think the images on TV do affect teen girls, some of them--pretty badly. They look at TV, and think all those cherry-picked actresses represent the average population, which isn't true at all, but many young teens don't know that. The teen years tend to be shaky ground self-esteem-wise, so teens are vulnerable in that way. As to whether adults are similarly affected, I don't know. I would hope not, but there probably are some that are.

It should not be overlooked that one of the main reasons those cherry-picked actresses look so good, is that most of them have been doing hard, all-around exercise for many years and eating nutritious foods (and not too much of them). Unfortunately, the majority of people, both men and women, do not follow this pathway in life and their physical appearances reflect this neglect.

Quite a few of the most well-shaped actresses have backgrounds, clear back to childhood, of participation in athletic programs. Instead of bemoaning their physical deficiencies, girls and women who don't like how they look, should start doing something about it, as I suggest. Those who say genetics plays a dominant role in a woman's appearance, underestimate the ability of humans to change and improve themselves with hard work over many years.

I've known some women who were physically not very interesting as teenagers, but who developed themselves into quite striking specimens, by their mid-twenties. So it can be done, but not by those who are too lazy or passive about their own potential. It takes a long time and it's a lifelong project, but those who really want to become better, can do it. Physical fitness can also increase psychological and intellectual strength, in many ways, directly or indirectly. Those who spend their lives hovering over computer screens and never develop strong and healthy bodies, will have shorter and much less rewarding lives.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:34 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It should not be overlooked that one of the main reasons those cherry-picked actresses look so good, is that most of them have been doing hard, all-around exercise for many years and eating nutritious foods (and not too much of them). Unfortunately, the majority of people, both men and women, do not follow this pathway in life and their physical appearances reflect this neglect.

Quite a few of the most well-shaped actresses have backgrounds, clear back to childhood, of participation in athletic programs. Instead of bemoaning their physical deficiencies, girls and women who don't like how they look, should start doing something about it, as I suggest. Those who say genetics plays a dominant role in a woman's appearance, underestimate the ability of humans to change and improve themselves with hard work over many years.

I've known some women who were physically not very interesting as teenagers, but who developed themselves into quite striking specimens, by their mid-twenties. So it can be done, but not by those who are too lazy or passive about their own potential. It takes a long time and it's a lifelong project, but those who really want to become better, can do it. Physical fitness can also increase psychological and intellectual strength, in many ways, directly or indirectly.
I hope you are not suggesting that a healthy someone who happens to be content with their less-than-celebrity appearance is automatically lazy or without ambition? Their interests simply may not fall there. There's nothing to "improve". If someone doesn't strain to attain some other person's taste in a face, eyebrow, lip, chin, nails, butt, boob, chest or whatever does that make them poor "specimens"?

Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I hope you are not suggesting that a healthy someone who happens to be content with their less-than-celebrity appearance is automatically lazy or without ambition? Their interests simply may not fall there. There's nothing to "improve". If someone doesn't strain to attain some other person's taste in a face, eyebrow, lip, chin, nails, butt, boob, chest or whatever does that make them poor "specimens"?
Oh yes, didn't you know ... it's a character flaw to look "less than."

It means you just aren't trying hard enough.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
None of my negative feelings about myself come from my family of origin. My mother wasn't particularly looks-obessed even though she was (and is) slender, pretty, and always looked nice when out and about; prettiness was not emphasized over personal accomplishments, but my sister and I were always told that we looked nice when it was appropriate by our parents, extended family, and family friends.

That being said, despite modeling in the past, I still sometimes struggle both with how I am perceived and how I perceive myself as I don't have a typical "'look." An insecure teenaged girl still lives deep inside me and sometimes wishes that she was a small, wavy-haired blonde or that she looked more like her older sister. Some days I look into the mirror and think I'm good to look at; others I think that I'm hideous. Sometimes, I needlessly worry what's going to become of me when I begin to "lose my looks." (My sister and mother are still attractive, so perhaps the decline will be a slow descent? ) From talking with many of my friends, female relatives, and acquaintances over the years, I think that it is fairly typical for a woman of any age to be ambivalent about her appearance.

Most of the time, though, I have perspective on the matter and am very grateful for my strong and healthy body that does want I want it to do when I want it done with a minimum of fuss, for my clear skin, for my family's genetics/good eating habits and an active job that have kept me slender. After having lost patches of hair due to an extremely stressful job that I once had (fortunately, it later grew back), I learned to be thankful for my thick, naturally curly hair. Good health and overall wellness are priceless and go beyond mere appearance although both contribute greatly to general attractiveness regardless of age or gender.

I believe that it also helps that I have limited exposure to mass media outside of fashion magazines, online catalogues, and the like. Ingestion of too much celebrity media is toxic to one's mental health, I think, so I choose to ignore such things for the most part and focus on what is real in the world surrounding me on a daily basis.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:32 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:

I've known some women who were physically not very interesting as teenagers, but who developed themselves into quite striking specimens, by their mid-twenties. So it can be done, but not by those who are too lazy or passive about their own potential. It takes a long time and it's a lifelong project, but those who really want to become better, can do it. Physical fitness can also increase psychological and intellectual strength, in many ways, directly or indirectly. Those who spend their lives hovering over computer screens and never develop strong and healthy bodies, will have shorter and much less rewarding lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Oh yes, didn't you know ... it's a character flaw to look "less than."

It means you just aren't trying hard enough.

That's the beauty of C-D Forums! No matter how positive and encouraging your suggestions are, there will always be someone to tell you how unworthy your values and aspirations are.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
That's the beauty of C-D Forums! No matter how positive and encouraging your suggestions are, there will always be someone to tell you how unworthy your values and aspirations are.
Your post was positive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology