Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 12:44 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times

Advertisements

My Mom never mentioned my gaining a little until I brought it up. She just said that when she herself put on a few extra pounds, she just gave up bread and other starches for a while. So I tried it and it worked for me too. I still prefer spaghetti on salad instead of noodles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 12:52 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
I am pretty sure that most third graders know what flawless eyesight is.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:52 AM

411 posts, read 415,977 times
I don't care if I'm ugly. After the age of 15, I've spent 2 years of my life single, and I've never had any complaints.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 AM

468 posts, read 615,586 times
Only comparisons make people feel ugly.

If your significant other doesn't make you feel like the sexiest thing in the world, dump him/her.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:33 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Looking back at photos of myself during my school years, I also seem a lot better-looking than what mean-spirited people (family members and others) had convinced me I was. I was forced to wear glasses during the 3rd grade, even though I had flawless eyesight and that added to the incorrect self-image I had. Forming a strong and accurate estimation of ourselves and our abilities at that age, is more important than the feedback we get from others. Because much of what is pushed on us by others about ourselves, is not done for our benefit and we shouldn't let it eat into our self-esteem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If they gave you those glasses to prevent lazy eye, consider yourself lucky.
The potential to recover from amblyopia closes off at about age 5 for most people. My eyesight in both eyes was, as I said, flawless. My need for glasses was entirely in the mind of my mother. When an ophthalmologist with integrity, who she couldn't bully into pretending to agree with her diagnosis examined me, he dressed her down right in front of me, after testing my eyes. She was furious, to my delight, but that was the end of that particular bogus claim about my non-existent deficiencies.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:38 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
The potential to recover from amblyopia closes off at about age 5 for most people. My eyesight in both eyes was, as I said, flawless. My need for glasses was entirely in the mind of my mother. When an ophthalmologist with integrity, who she couldn't bully into pretending to agree with her diagnosis examined me, he dressed her down right in front of me, after testing my eyes. She was furious, to my delight, but that was the end of that particular bogus claim about my non-existent deficiencies.
Wow, horrible. Mother sounds like a malignant narcissist or Munchausen's sicko.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:33 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My wife contends that the false images of young, middle aged, and even senior women on Tv, print media, movies etc, make the average woman feel ugly.

So this question is for the ladies: Do you feel that all or parts of your body are ugly, gross, etc? Does this bother you a lot?

If it true, this is a shame because these women spend a small fortune on hair, makeup, clothes, they work out, spend money on plastic surgery, and on to of that, most of the still images are photoshopped. There's no way the average women can afford what these women in the public eye spend on their appearance.
False images and women in the media have nothing to do with my self body image.

I have parts of my body I wish I could change, and parts that I'm proud of. I think that's just how most women think when they think of themselves.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:42 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Wow, horrible. Mother sounds like a malignant narcissist or Munchausen's sicko. (Munchhausen's Syndrome by Proxy)
Tamajane, I wasn't going to say it, but you called it correctly on both those counts. This was at a time before that latter disorder had been given its name, but it existed, nonetheless. The previous year, my mother decided that bad eyesight was the next item on her agenda for me and took me to a series of three ophthamologists. The first two said my eyesight was fine, but she was able to finally get the third to prescribe glasses for me. I was ordered to wear them, supposedly at all times, but never did whenever I could avoid it. I think that having me in glasses, even though my eyesight was excellent, provided her with a visible symbol, to demonstrate to everyone that she had a defective son. Eyeglass wearers, please don't take offence at that analysis.

A year later, she thought she could get a bit more mileage out of the bad-eyesight claim and took me to a high-level ophthamologist, who was new in town. She told him my eyesight was getting worse and that I needed glasses with more correction. He examined my eyes with a sophisticated electronic chart to view. I was able to identify the smallest, bottom line, which he said few people could do. He then tested the glasses I'd been given previously.

We went out to the waiting room and he said to my mother, "Madam, I don't know what you're trying to do to this boy, but he has vision that is as sharp as any I've ever tested. And these glasses he has, have no correction in them at all. That other doctor probably prescribed them, just to get rid of you!". She was so enraged that anyone would challenge her right to claim any of the many disorders she wanted me to have, that she was speechless. She literally could not talk, she was so angered. So she grabbed me and headed out. That was one of the high points of my young life.

I thought that I would keep those glasses, as someday, they might become "exhibit A". But she was thinking the same thing and said, "Give me those glasses!" and ripped them out of my hand. I never saw them again and she moved on to other imaginary disorders for me. And she was a highly experienced and regarded surgical nurse, who even did surgery on her own, when she ran a medical clinic for farm workers. I've read that a high percentage of the women with this disorder, are current or former medical professionals.

I've carried this far from the thread's subject, but in answering the responses to what I first said, one thing led to another.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
My wife contends that the false images of young, middle aged, and even senior women on Tv, print media, movies etc, make the average woman feel ugly.
Oh, there is no doubt that the beauty and entertainment industry doesn't contribute to body image insecurities, for girls and women, and for boys and men, too. The age of IG influencers and social media presence has furthered these insecurities for many girls and women. (check out the documentary Social Animals. My husband and I watched it would out older daughters.)

Quote:
So this question is for the ladies: Do you feel that all or parts of your body are ugly, gross, etc? Does this bother you a lot?
There are parts of my body that I want to change or work on, but I don't feel ugly or gross at all. The only thing I want to "enhance" in the future is a breast lift/aug w/fat transfer. After six pregnancies and breastfeeding for 9 cumulative years, I'm due for some restorative work.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:21 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Quote:

If it true, this is a shame because these women spend a small fortune on hair, makeup, clothes, they work out, spend money on plastic surgery, and on to of that, most of the still images are photoshopped. There's no way the average women can afford what these women in the public eye spend on their appearance.
I feel my best looks are behind me, but I don't blame the media for this view. Yes, it bothers me, but what can you do other than take care of yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology