Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 02:17 PM

428 posts, read 416,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Well said. Can't argue with that. Maybe some therapy would help in his case, especially as it relates to losing the girlfriend.
I agree with therapy. Two parents and a long term relationship gone all within 6 years is a lot to handle. Moving is as stressful as death and divorce (or, breaking up in this case)- I can't imagine doing it, on top of mourning parents and a relationship.

Therapy with someone who can know more of the everyday details and background of those lost relationships is a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 02:23 PM

720 posts, read 429,008 times
This doesn't have to do with the house at all. It has to do with the way you remember things.
In your shoes I wouldn't sell it. I would rent it if possible, but I don't know how this works and if it is a smart idea in your country.

I understand that it's difficult to get over your relationship. But it is over. Whether the reason was enough for you or not, it doesn't matter. Would you prefer that the person you loved, stayed in a relationship that she didn't want?

You are lovesick and lonely and it is understandable. You probably haven't dealt with your dad's and mom's passing very well either.
I don't have any real advice for you mate, sorry. It will be sad for a while. It will be lonely.
But as it does every time, it gets better. Focus on the positive things in your life.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:26 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
I agree with therapy. Two parents and a long term relationship gone all within 6 years is a lot to handle. Moving is as stressful as death and divorce (or, breaking up in this case)- I can't imagine doing it, on top of mourning parents and a relationship.

Therapy with someone who can know more of the everyday details and background of those lost relationships is a great idea.
Exactly. I still go to therapy to deal with living in a city I don't like, the death of my mother, loneliness, etc.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:17 PM

66 posts, read 54,670 times
I would not sell the house right now. Get through holidays, give things some time and re-evaluate your situation in April, May next year.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:26 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times
OP I would say go to therapy. I would also look at the bright side of things. With 2020 around the corner, this might be an opportunity to take a look and understand what is really the core problem resulting in your loneliness and make a plan for 2020 to progress and move forward.

Hang in there, admitting how you are feeling and talking about (as you are here) is a good step to get you in the right direction.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:48 PM

819 posts, read 583,910 times
Reaching out to 'talk' to us on a forum like this is a good sign - you are able to communicate your feelings and deal with them. If you can manage therapy, that would help also. I wouldn't do anything drastic until you're comfortable with yourself again. There is no 'fault' here, it's just how life is sometimes.

Take some time. Be good to yourself. Maybe get out of yourself a little bit - go away somewhere for a few days. Your situation sucks and it's your pain to deal with but it's not insurmountable. This too shall pass.

Be well - sending you a cyber-hug.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:26 PM

92 posts, read 40,965 times
I really appreciate everyone here. I did contact a therapist last week and they sent me a form but I haven't filled it out yet. I felt ridiculous calling them and thought I could shake everything but I'm struggling. Some days I'm half way okay and the next I feel like I'm starting all over again. I should be stronger than I am right now.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:44 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz85 View Post
I really appreciate everyone here. I did contact a therapist last week and they sent me a form but I haven't filled it out yet. I felt ridiculous calling them and thought I could shake everything but I'm struggling. Some days I'm half way okay and the next I feel like I'm starting all over again. I should be stronger than I am right now.
No, you should not be stronger. Look, we aren't created to go through life alone. I'm alone and its a constant struggle. There's nothing wrong with getting help. Don't fall for the negative stigma. Fill out that paperwork and go talk to someone. Also, the best advice I can give you is to give yourself a break and some compassion. This is coming from someone who's been to hell and back and has 15 years on you.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:53 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
No, you should not be stronger. Look, we aren't created to go through life alone. I'm alone and its a constant struggle. There's nothing wrong with getting help. Don't fall for the negative stigma. Fill out that paperwork and go talk to someone. Also, the best advice I can give you is to give yourself a break and some compassion. This is coming from someone who's been to hell and back and has 15 years on you.
That was a very kind and compassionate response!

Old 12-05-2019, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 248 times
You need to move from home, so can get new friends and spend time with then living alone is not good idea, You can get married or find patner who can change your life. If you don't want to be married then you need to consult with therapiest who can give you proper Counseling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology