Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 12:55 PM

92 posts, read 40,965 times

Advertisements

About a month ago my girlfriend of a year(known for 2 years, friend first year) whom I absolutely adored broke up with me. Honestly still not sure why it ended. I never got a clear answer and didn't want to keep pushing so I just let it be. Regardless, it hit me pretty hard and it's something I'm trying my best to deal with on a daily basis. It being the holidays hasn't made it any easier. I lost my dad around this same time 4 years ago and my mom 6 years ago.

My parents willed their house to me and I've been living in it ever since they passed. It's the house I grew up in so I have a lot of memories here. Lately I've had this overwhelming feeling of loneliness. Almost unbearable at times to the point I have actually just broken down in tears. This house is paid for but I've been thinking it's time to sell and move on. I think staying here is keeping me in the past. If I did sell I would give a third each to my two half brothers who live in different states.

So if I sell I will again have a mortgage. I have a good job and currently my commute is 1.5 hours each way but I do get to work from home a couple days a week. My manager whom is a friend as well really wants me to move closer to the office. It's the second biggest city in the state and one of the fastest growing in the US. Right now I live in the country and have some family and friends that live around me. I just don't feel like I fit in in this city and with the people. Sometimes I even feel alone in the office because me and my manager are in our mid 30s and everyone else is in their 20s.

I just don't know what to do anymore. One minute I feel like I've made a decision and the next day I don't feel the same about it. I'm so up and down about everything in my life right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 01:07 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz85 View Post
About a month ago my girlfriend of a year(known for 2 years, friend first year) whom I absolutely adored broke up with me. Honestly still not sure why it ended. I never got a clear answer and didn't want to keep pushing so I just let it be. Regardless, it hit me pretty hard and it's something I'm trying my best to deal with on a daily basis. It being the holidays hasn't made it any easier. I lost my dad around this same time 4 years ago and my mom 6 years ago.

My parents willed their house to me and I've been living in it ever since they passed. It's the house I grew up in so I have a lot of memories here. Lately I've had this overwhelming feeling of loneliness. Almost unbearable at times to the point I have actually just broken down in tears. This house is paid for but I've been thinking it's time to sell and move on. I think staying here is keeping me in the past. If I did sell I would give a third each to my two half brothers who live in different states.

So if I sell I will again have a mortgage. I have a good job and currently my commute is 1.5 hours each way but I do get to work from home a couple days a week. My manager whom is a friend as well really wants me to move closer to the office. It's the second biggest city in the state and one of the fastest growing in the US. Right now I live in the country and have some family and friends that live around me. I just don't feel like I fit in in this city and with the people. Sometimes I even feel alone in the office because me and my manager are in our mid 30s and everyone else is in their 20s.

I just don't know what to do anymore. One minute I feel like I've made a decision and the next day I don't feel the same about it. I'm so up and down about everything in my life right now.
I can tell you from experience that selling the house is a smart idea. Different situation, but I lived in the house I was married in for 4 years after my divorce. It sucked. All my neighbor friends had stopped talking to me and I was all alone. Again, not your situation, but relate-able. I can't imagine living in my childhood house either with both of my parents being gone also. I would recommend moving. Also, why would you need to have a mortgage if your house is paid for? I assume higher housing prices in the city, but even so the mortgage would likely be small if you took the proceeds from your current house and put them into the new house. Don't worry about the mortgage. Mortgage rates are under 4%, so the interest piece will be small compared to history.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:13 PM

428 posts, read 416,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I can tell you from experience that selling the house is a smart idea. Different situation, but I lived in the house I was married in for 4 years after my divorce. It sucked. All my neighbor friends had stopped talking to me and I was all alone. Again, not your situation, but relate-able. I can't imagine living in my childhood house either with both of my parents being gone also. I would recommend moving. Also, why would you need to have a mortgage if your house is paid for? I assume higher housing prices in the city, but even so the mortgage would likely be small if you took the proceeds from your current house and put them into the new house. Don't worry about the mortgage. Mortgage rates are under 4%, so the interest piece will be small compared to history.
I was going to give the exact opposite advice.

Imagine the regret from selling a family home, when you miss it and the memories made there (which will happen). If a spouse eventually comes along, that would make selling easier probably but not while single and feeling unsure about life, which familiar surroundings at least provide stability in.

I say, stay in the house. Bank your money as much as possible. If/when you are with someone and the house doesn't make sense any longer, you will know. But you're already mourning something missing from your life...selling something stable and then missing *that too, seems very emotionally risky to me.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
I was going to give the exact opposite advice.

Imagine the regret from selling a family home, when you miss it and the memories made there (which will happen). If a spouse eventually comes along, that would make selling easier probably but not while single and feeling unsure about life, which familiar surroundings at least provide stability in.

I say, stay in the house. Bank your money as much as possible. If/when you are with someone and the house doesn't make sense any longer, you will know. But you're already mourning something missing from your life...selling something stable and then missing *that too, seems very emotionally risky to me.
I said to sell it because the OP is living in the past and I know all to well what that's like when the past is no longer reality. Staying in the house I was married in kept me stuck. Thats where my advice came from. I can see both sides, but I still think it would be wise to sell.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Why would you give away 2/3 of the house? i presume there was a reason it was willed to you and not all three of you.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why would you give away 2/3 of the house? i presume there was a reason it was willed to you and not all three of you.
I missed that key part of it. That means he would have a sizable mortgage for sure. But yeah, why would you do that if it was 100% willed to you?

Old 12-04-2019, 01:46 PM

92 posts, read 40,965 times
It was willed to me 100% if I decided to live there but if I ever decided to sell it I am supposed to split it with my brothers.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz85 View Post

I think you should see a therapist before making such a huge decision. Could make everything worse.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:58 PM

428 posts, read 416,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I said to sell it because the OP is living in the past and I know all to well what that's like when the past is no longer reality. Staying in the house I was married in kept me stuck. Thats where my advice came from. I can see both sides, but I still think it would be wise to sell.
Yes, I read that. And I think the situation is incredibly different. Losing a spouse (to divorce or illness) is traumatic- people don't get married with an intention to divorce. It's as much of a life change as death of parents, also traumatic, so I am not diminishing that. But, they are still very different situations.

This is a young-ish person who doesn't have many emotional attachments that could be considered stable, it sounds. So I think when personal emotional issues (loneliness) subsides, then a clearer mindset will be a better time to decide. To have 'nothing' familiar to come home to- no pun intended- might worsen loneliness, at least until there is a void filled in the way of a partner someday (which OP seems to miss).

Just my own opinion.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
Yes, I read that. And I think the situation is incredibly different. Losing a spouse (to divorce or illness) is traumatic- people don't get married with an intention to divorce. It's as much of a life change as death of parents, also traumatic, so I am not diminishing that. But, they are still very different situations.

This is a young-ish person who doesn't have many emotional attachments that could be considered stable, it sounds. So I think when personal emotional issues (loneliness) subsides, then a clearer mindset will be a better time to decide. To have 'nothing' familiar to come home to- no pun intended- might worsen loneliness, at least until there is a void filled in the way of a partner someday (which OP seems to miss).

Just my own opinion.
Well said. Can't argue with that. Maybe some therapy would help in his case, especially as it relates to losing the girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology