Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 11:37 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Sorry, not everyone stays "connected" 24/7 with their phone glued to their hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I put my phone away at night and I don't text while driving, which could be up to 4 hours a day. People know if they need me urgently I will answer a call.

I think the OP may be overestimating how much importance the average person gives to text messaging.

Who exactly are you complaining about, OP? Who is not texting back fast enough, and on what issue?

Also very telling that OP thinks the flip phone was an invention of the 1970s.
Agree with both.
I also belong to people who aren't anxiously attached to their phones. Not nomophobic at all.
I only stay close to the phone when I am on call - a weekend every 10 weeks and still not checking messages every few minutes. Very important stuff should be called, not texted, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 12:11 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Agree with both.
I also belong to people who aren't anxiously attached to their phones. Not nomophobic at all.
I only stay close to the phone when I am on call - a weekend every 10 weeks and still not checking messages every few minutes. Very important stuff should be called, not texted, anyway.
Haha....Yep, I even have a couple of friends who refuse to have cell phones......If you want to get in touch with them, you can call their land line and .....are you ready for this, OP?......leave a message on a recording machine....or you can go to their house......

I make sure I check my email, texts and voicemails once every day or so.....if it's seriously important they can call.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:15 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I'm one of those people who always responds back to texts within a matter of minutes. That is mainly because I always have the phone on me just like everyone else. Unless you're a new mom who have like 3 little kids running around and got baby duties and that is almost like 10% of people we know, if that. So majority of the people have no excuse to not text back or unless you live in a box and still carry a flip phone that you need to mail back to the 70s.

Am I the only one who is so responsive? Are there people out there who can relate?
So only new moms get a pass in your world? Nobody else could possibly have a valid reason for not dropping everything and responding to your text? You know, like work?

Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Haha....Yep, I even have a couple of friends who refuse to have cell phones......If you want to get in touch with them, you can call their land line and .....are you ready for this, OP?......leave a message on a recording machine....or you can go to their house......

I make sure I check my email, texts and voicemails once every day or so.....if it's seriously important they can call.
BUT - if you frequent the Relationship Forum, you would learn that not texting back momentarily is a red flag the size of China. Beats the good look, charm, intelligence and good money almost every single time.
People get anxiety attacks and engage in wildest speculations if someone doesn't reply in a timeframe of 4 hrs, max. Not to mention the zillions of threads asking to help decipher messages like: "He said he likes me - what does that mean?"

Old 01-16-2020, 02:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Please don't get me wrong. When I'm super busy at work I even forget to eat at times with my hyper focus. But majority of the times, if I see a message on my phone, It must be checked and replied to. I can't just look at a message and be like "Oh I'll just reply back later because I'm too self observed to give someone time of the day." If I am asked a question even in person. I feel the need to reply back. If I don't know the answer, I'll go searching for it so I can get the answer and reply them back with.

For example I cannot leave an email unchecked. It must be checked, trashed, archived or something. I can't have outstanding notifications laying around on my phone but mainly emails and texts. Honestly, I hate phone calls unless its business. I don't like friendly calls to chit chat, I prefer text

Old 01-16-2020, 02:49 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
When I was single and dating, this way of thinking was always a red flag for me. I interacted with a handful of men over the years who would get upset if I didn't reply immediately. No thanks.

What is it that makes people think they deserve an immediate response?

Old 01-16-2020, 02:57 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Please don't get me wrong. When I'm super busy at work I even forget to eat at times with my hyper focus. But majority of the times, if I see a message on my phone, It must be checked and replied to. I can't just look at a message and be like "Oh I'll just reply back later because I'm too self observed to give someone time of the day." If I am asked a question even in person. I feel the need to reply back. If I don't know the answer, I'll go searching for it so I can get the answer and reply them back with.

For example I cannot leave an email unchecked. It must be checked, trashed, archived or something. I can't have outstanding notifications laying around on my phone but mainly emails and texts. Honestly, I hate phone calls unless its business. I don't like friendly calls to chit chat, I prefer text
It's not self-absorbed if you don't respond right away.

IMO, It's self-absorbed to expect others to stop what they're doing because your text came in. Why do you think you are more important than what they're doing and/or the people they're with?

Old 01-16-2020, 03:04 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post

IMO, It's self-absorbed to expect others to stop what they're doing because your text came in. Why do you think you are more important than what they're doing and/or the people they're with?
Ok so how do you build and maintain a friendship if that is your behavior towards your friend? I thought the point was to be available for people you care about.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:28 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Ok so how do you build and maintain a friendship if that is your behavior towards your friend? I thought the point was to be available for people you care about.
How do I build and maintain a friendship if I ignore the friend I'm out with to get involved in a text conversation with someone else?

Old 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
But majority of the times, if I see a message on my phone, It must be checked and replied to. I can't just look at a message and be like "Oh I'll just reply back later because I'm too self observed to give someone time of the day."

Honestly, I hate phone calls unless its business. I don't like friendly calls to chit chat, I prefer text
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post

Quote:
Whew! It's hard to even know where to start with this. A real friendship develops with real face-to-face interaction. There are all kinds of non-verbal cues that help each person get to know the other better. Next best would be to at least talk to them over the phone, where you can hear the inflections in their voice that help you understand what they are trying to say. LAST on the list of showing you care is texting.

If you are with someone in person but are constantly checking your phone and replying to texts, it tells the person you are with that they aren't nearly as important as your little phone. Personally, I limit my time with people like this as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology