Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 02:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,893,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yep, I’m struggling to think of words or terms that annoy me too , obviously they aren’t pressing for you or me at this moment.
I hate hate HATE the terms baby-momma and baby-daddy. Not quite as much hate for "mama-bear."
Don't care to hear or read mommy and daddy after a child has passed toddler stage.

Kiddo doesn't bother me but I don't read mom blogs either not since S T F U Parents shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 02:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I don't like these but they don't bother me, either. Maybe because they are realtively rare in my experience.

What does get on my nerves for some irrational reason is abbreviations like DH, DD, and DS.
Ha, ha. These acronyms have been around for a long time, predating the computer age.

I know they drive some people crazy, but they are so useful when keying in text.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:32 PM

291 posts, read 379,253 times
My husband is my biggest fan and encourages everything I do through 11 years of marriage. I am the one who sometimes uses the term "Wifey". Personally,I don't find it demeaning or subservient . It's endearing to me.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:40 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,218,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I hate hate HATE the terms baby-momma and baby-daddy. Not quite as much hate for "mama-bear."
Don't care to hear or read mommy and daddy after a child has passed toddler stage.

Kiddo doesn't bother me but I don't read mom blogs either not since S T F U Parents shut down.

Not sure why, and it’s not a judgment on others, but I just don’t seem to care and generally ignore it.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:15 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,908,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post

LOL me too! "Baby momma" and "baby daddy" are both trash terms. I despise both terms and glad I am not alone on this one.

I had my kid in '99 before those dreadful mom blogs were a thing. Sometimes there ARE good things about being old.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,893,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
LOL me too! "Baby momma" and "baby daddy" are both trash terms. I despise both terms and glad I am not alone on this one.

I had my kid in '99 before those dreadful mom blogs were a thing. Sometimes there ARE good things about being old.
Exactly that, trash terms.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:59 PM

15,722 posts, read 9,553,176 times
My ex and I never called each other "wifey" or "hubby." We did have pet names for each other, but she let me know that she did not want me to refer to her as "the wife" as she felt like that equated "the servant" or some such. Then my ex noted something. She said I never called my kids anything other than their name or "my kids" when talking to someone else. She suggested I use pet names for them, too. So the first time I did, my thirteen year daughter came home from school and I said, "Hey, sweetie. How was school?" Her face lit up and she gave me such a sweet smile. Later, my ex said our daughter came to her and was gushing that I called her "sweetie." I don't entirely get it, but I know it worked with my kiddos!

Old 04-10-2020, 05:18 PM

88,700 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

I never knew there were such a thing called "mom blogs" until this thread. My kid was born in 1991.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:20 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,074,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I'm not a prude, and pretty much far from it, but why do these terms annoy the crud out of me? And with the term "kiddo", I'm just referring to when someone refers to their kids as "the kiddo/s" or "my kiddo/s", not so much as when someone says "hey kiddo, come here".
"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves." —Carl Jung

Old 04-11-2020, 01:48 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I'm not a prude, and pretty much far from it, but why do these terms annoy the crud out of me? And with the term "kiddo", I'm just referring to when someone refers to their kids as "the kiddo/s" or "my kiddo/s", not so much as when someone says "hey kiddo, come here".
i hate ALL of them. I think they are trashy. I have used "kids", because 'my adult children" sounds long, and "children" does not work for people over 16.

"DH" dear husband is an internet term that I am guilty of using "DH" on the internet, along with "MIL" etc. I only use them to save time.

"Kiddo" is a relatively new word. It was once used by some to address their children, usually very young ones. As in "c'mere kiddo, and give your mom a hug".
I never used it, but it didn't irritate me.

Now "kiddos" is used by adults, to adults. As in "the kiddos" won't be coming home for the holidays". Or we have three kiddos, 2 boys and a girl".

I detest it's forced jocularity, and it presumes that these people are dear to you, as they are to the speaker.

No one ever has, or ever will call me "wifey"or refer tome as "the wife" (shudder).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology