Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 04:16 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The worst things people can eat are the processed foods, I think. I'll include most meat in that because it is factory farmed. Grass fed meat is actually pretty healthy, but it's much more expensive.
Definitely. The less processed the better for us. If you eat less meat and spend money on the grass-fed meat when you do eat it, it's better all around. Still not great for the animal who ends up in your freezer, of course.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:36 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Saying PETA is representative of vegans though is like claiming Antifa represents Democrats. PETA is an activist group.

I think animal suffering is important though and I don’t agree one bit with the poster who said anyone who objects to animals being subjected to pain and terror is anthropomorphisizing them. Just the fact that they feel pain and terror is justification enough to be against actions that cause that kind of suffering in any living being.
They are. I think I'm lamenting the fact that I have seen many legitimate movements to raise awareness and concern about truly valid things, including animal cruelty, and it aggravates me when the loonies get involved, especially since they tend to scream loud enough to get an inordinate amount of attention, and then of course, they become too much a "face" of a movement...which they NEVER should have been seen as. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 05:24 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,567 times
My step-niece is vegan and was banned from certain social media accounts because she was militant about her beliefs. She posted videos and ranted about everyone needing to conform (think PETA, but x100).

She also has horrible hygiene, but that's a different issue for this Psych forum!

Old 01-03-2021, 05:30 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm curious about people who insist meat is murder, if they're okay with abortion.

Are you saying all meat is aborted animal fetus tissue? Or that humans that have an abortion eat the aborted fetus??? Cause thats the only way that makes sense. Animals dont commit suicide, nor abort their young, to be your dinner, somebody KILLS them.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:32 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I cook them in the air fryer, so they get crispy on the outside
I tried a couple of the corn dogs in the microwave - not recommended. I did another two in the toaster oven - much nicer. They're very good, will be buying them again in the future for a change of pace.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:34 PM

Humans are omnivores. They have proven over their history to be able to survive on most anything, including modern engineered plastic food. Is it always healthy or humane, nope, but its what is available and affordable I guess. And what Madison Avenue tells them to eat.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:40 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,567 times
My step-niece is vegan and was banned from certain social media accounts because she was militant about her beliefs. She posted videos and ranted about everyone needing to conform (think PETA, but x100).

She also has horrible hygiene, but that's a different issue for this Psych forum!

Old 01-03-2021, 05:42 PM

My now deceased ex would buy the veggie fake meats, including the hotdogs in a can. Not vienna sausage, these were full size hotdogs. I think out of tofu??? They were edible, but guessing not any more healthy than regular pink slime hot dogs. I personally never understood desire for fake meat, but each their own. I mean if you are going to go veggie why would you even want the taste of meat? There are natural plant based umami tastes.

Caution a high carb veggie diet can make you fat just like a high carb SAD diet.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
My now deceased ex would buy the veggie fake meats, including the hotdogs in a can. Not vienna sausage, these were full size hotdogs. I think out of tofu??? They were edible, but guessing not any more healthy than regular pink slime hot dogs. I personally never understood desire for fake meat, but each their own. I mean if you are going to go veggie why would you even want the taste of meat? There are natural plant based umami tastes.
Why would some of us enjoy the taste of meat from time to time? Because we evolved as omnivores, and we like it. The Beyond * products contain plant based materials only -- and I have a hard time seeing them in the same category as pink slime hot dogs based on their ingredients:

Ingredients in Beyond Burgers:

Water, Pea Protein, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

Ingredients in Beyond Sausage:

Water, Pea Protein, Refined Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Contains 2% or less of: Rice Protein, Faba Bean Protein, Potato Starch, Salt, Fruit Juice (For Color), Vegetable Juice (For Color), Apple Fiber, Methylcellulose, Citrus Extract (To Protect Quality), Calcium Alginate Casing.

And for those who wish to point out they're processed, yes, I know. I don't care. They're healthful enough for me.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Why would some of us enjoy the taste of meat from time to time? Because we evolved as omnivores, and we like it. The Beyond * products contain plant based materials only -- and I have a hard time seeing them in the same category as pink slime hot dogs based on their ingredients:

Ingredients in Beyond Burgers:

Water, Pea Protein, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Beet Juice Extract (for color).

Ingredients in Beyond Sausage:

Water, Pea Protein, Refined Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavor, Contains 2% or less of: Rice Protein, Faba Bean Protein, Potato Starch, Salt, Fruit Juice (For Color), Vegetable Juice (For Color), Apple Fiber, Methylcellulose, Citrus Extract (To Protect Quality), Calcium Alginate Casing.

And for those who wish to point out they're processed, yes, I know. I don't care. They're healthful enough for me.

But if taste of meat is ok, then why not eat meat? I grew up on a farm, the old kind that raised both grain and meat animals. We butchered our own animals for meat. Even had a milk cow at one point. When Dad died and Mom moved to town, she couldnt get me to eat the grocery store meat. Seriously nasty. Thus my move to vegetarianism when I learned that was an option. I have never missed the taste of meat, especially the factory confinement raised meat. And the few times i have tried to choke it down, I regretted it. Had to smother it in ketchup and condiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology