Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 01:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,613,533 times

Advertisements

I have always been puzzled by people that voluntarily excise various life experiences, especially for more than a short period: vegans, celibates, cloistered orders, hermits, workaholics who don't vacation... I mean one can do what they want with their lives, I've just never understood the narrowing of life experience as a desirable goal. I wonder if it is an attempt to extend control over the randomness of life?

Most vegans I've met haven't had to do that for health/medical reasons although they will promote it as a benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 05:19 AM

762 posts, read 452,938 times
Living a disciplined and compassionate lifestyle is not easy when most of the world is self absorbed: vystopia.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:05 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,231,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Some people object to killing animals for meat on moral grounds but still like the taste of meat.
It's been 32 years since I ate a warm-blooded animal but the smell of cooking meat is still pleasant at times. Not pleasant enough to eat, however.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:53 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
Living a disciplined and compassionate lifestyle is not easy when most of the world is self absorbed: vystopia.
It is easier if you don’t try to control others. I am a rational speciesist, enjoy the taste of meat, view crop animals as appropriate and beneficial, and will enjoy a good steak for the duration of my life with no apologies or compromise. Yet I wouldn’t dream of forcing vegans to adopt my diet. You don’t hear of activist carnism. But you do hear of activist veganism, where vegans will violate property rights and damage what does not belong to them in an effort to compel others to accept their beliefs.

We can’t have that. Pick your own diet, enjoy it for yourself, and leave others to pick theirs. Freedom again works best in this case.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It is easier if you don’t try to control others. I am a rational speciesist, enjoy the taste of meat, view crop animals as appropriate and beneficial, and will enjoy a good steak for the duration of my life with no apologies or compromise. Yet I wouldn’t dream of forcing vegans to adopt my diet. You don’t hear of activist carnism. But you do hear of activist veganism, where vegans will violate property rights and damage what does not belong to them in an effort to compel others to accept their beliefs.

We can’t have that. Pick your own diet, enjoy it for yourself, and leave others to pick theirs. Freedom again works best in this case.
Personally I'm Vegan for the animals and do not force others to adopt to my lifestyle, so not sure what you're going on about diet and food. I am sure the animals which are raped, tortured and killed for your steak dinner would appreciate having the freedom to live their lives with their family members too, it's a two way street, sometimes it's important to look both ways. Bye

Old 01-06-2021, 03:23 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Personally I'm Vegan for the animals and do not force others to adopt to my lifestyle, so not sure what you're going on about diet and food. I am sure the animals which are raped, tortured and killed for your steak dinner would appreciate having the freedom to live their lives with their family members too, it's a two way street, sometimes it's important to look both ways. Bye
I don’t care about what you claim animals want. Cows and chickens and fish are crops, not people, and we should kill them with compassion and eat them. That’s what they are here for. Life consumes life, animals eat animals. That is normal, natural, beneficial, delicious, and good. And that’s the end of it. You eat what you want. I eat what I want. Period.

Tonight it’s chicken. Tomorrow some salad. And Friday it’s pot roast baby! A balanced diet. Plant products. Animal products. It’s all good.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
It's true, a balanced diet is a wide selection of meaty bits and planty bits.

I am on a low meat diet because my body manufactured kidney stones. Uric acid. I also have to avoid nuts for the same reason. Fish is good. I eat fish at least twice a week. Red meat, rarely. My food choices have nothing to do with morality, everything to do with medical needs. Legumes are good, grains are bad. Too many carbs, and they make you fat.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:50 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I don’t care about what you claim animals want. Cows and chickens and fish are crops, not people, and we should kill them with compassion and eat them. That’s what they are here for. Life consumes life, animals eat animals. That is normal, natural, beneficial, delicious, and good. And that’s the end of it. You eat what you want. I eat what I want. Period.

Tonight it’s chicken. Tomorrow some salad. And Friday it’s pot roast baby! A balanced diet. Plant products. Animal products. It’s all good.
Why such a hostile response? She didn't try to tell anyone else what to eat in her post.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:42 AM

24,601 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Please stay in your lane and allow others to stay in their lane.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:52 AM

A mind is a terrible thing to waste https://animaljusticeacademy.com/?fb...Z4FI2gFHzyp1i4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology