Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 11:11 AM

11,085 posts, read 6,933,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
^^This! I have an IBD and after first being DX, I was GF, DF, fiber free, soy free, spicy free. People would still insist that I just eat what they made. Even my family was skeptical about my change in diet and didn't believe it had anything to do with how I felt. It's been 5 years, they don't question me anymore. My 2 friends know about my disease and will tell me, I'm not sure if you can eat this or not. Early on I had a friend say, "Just eat a little," "It can't be the food"..blah blah blah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wow that is a lot of things to try to avoid. It must be difficult for you to eat anything that you haven't prepared yourself. Just general grocery shopping must be a pain and time consuming because you have to read every label. I imagine you make most of your food from scratch even things like marinades and sauces. I'm thinking about all the things in my fridge and pantry with soy and spices. Yikes! Seems like everything today has a soy warning on it.
I have major food sensitivities. Not allergies. A doctor finally convinced me. My immune system attacks almost everything I put in it, creating tons of mucus and coughing. I've learned to just eat what I want because the process of elimination never worked. I envy people who know which foods trigger their body. For me, there are myriads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 12:35 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I have major food sensitivities. Not allergies. A doctor finally convinced me. My immune system attacks almost everything I put in it, creating tons of mucus and coughing. I've learned to just eat what I want because the process of elimination never worked. I envy people who know which foods trigger their body. For me, there are myriads.
Often, the sensitivity increases when eating the same or similar foods on an ongoing basis. IF that is the case, then a rotational diet can help. During the rotation, if there is a flare, you have a head-start on knowing what to avoid for a few weeks. FWIW, the same goes for medications and food supplements.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:57 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
True! I'm not celiac just gluten sensitive. I just started using sauces on my chicken. Yes totally boring, boring diet, but if I get a flare, that's enough for me to be stricter.

I quit making Sunday Lunch for Dad because I couldn't eat what I prepared for him. But I do cook for him and take it over, he is next door, 93, we live on 10 acres.
My dd is the same way. She figured it out searching the Internet when she was a teen long before most people ever heard the term gluten-free. But she would eat a bagel, and in an hour or two her belly would pop out like she was three months pregnant, followed by pain and diarrhea for a couple of days. She was tested but doesn't have celiac, but she doesn't get stomach pains, bloating, or diarrhea when she doesn't eat gluten.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wow that is a lot of things to try to avoid. It must be difficult for you to eat anything that you haven't prepared yourself. Just general grocery shopping must be a pain and time consuming because you have to read every label. I imagine you make most of your food from scratch even things like marinades and sauces. I'm thinking about all the things in my fridge and pantry with soy and spices. Yikes! Seems like everything today has a soy warning on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Often, the sensitivity increases when eating the same or similar foods on an ongoing basis. IF that is the case, then a rotational diet can help. During the rotation, if there is a flare, you have a head-start on knowing what to avoid for a few weeks. FWIW, the same goes for medications and food supplements.
Well, I tried that (stopping similar foods frequently). But yes, the rotation idea is good advice.

I have a genetic condition that creates severe lung issues. It's degenerative. At this point and for a few decades now, it's managed. I have a good Pulm near Huntsville Hospital. I do try to avoid the most potent triggers. For example, if I buy a certain bread, let's say a French baguette and it causes a severe reaction I won't buy it again. That happened this morning. I won't be eating the remainder. I have been able to find certain breads (like Dave's Killer for example) that don't trigger as much. There are a lot of fast foods I have to avoid as well. Others are fine - thankfully ones I occasionally enjoy, like Arby's Greek gyro. I just ate some mac and cheese with only a very small reaction. I keep a list of what doesn't trigger a major problem.

Another example is certain peanut butters. I know which ones to avoid like the plague and which ones are do-able.

Old 11-05-2022, 02:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,649,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Well, I tried that (stopping similar foods frequently). But yes, the rotation idea is good advice.

I have a genetic condition that creates severe lung issues. It's degenerative. At this point and for a few decades now, it's managed. I have a good Pulm near Huntsville Hospital. I do try to avoid the most potent triggers. For example, if I buy a certain bread, let's say a French baguette and it causes a severe reaction I won't buy it again. That happened this morning. I won't be eating the remainder. I have been able to find certain breads (like Dave's Killer for example) that don't trigger as much. There are a lot of fast foods I have to avoid as well. Others are fine - thankfully ones I occasionally enjoy, like Arby's Greek gyro. I just ate some mac and cheese with only a very small reaction. I keep a list of what doesn't trigger a major problem.

Another example is certain peanut butters. I know which ones to avoid like the plague and which ones are do-able.
I'm sorry you live with this. It sounds exhausting, frustrating, and really annoying. Like if PB&J were your favorite thing on the planet it would suck that you couldn't eat it.

Old 11-05-2022, 02:43 PM

Thank you! The good news is, I can eat that! With the right bread, and the right peanut butter And I do eat a lot of it. In fact, periodically I have to not buy it because I binge on it.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:23 PM

16,572 posts, read 10,676,390 times
Cultural differences sometimes come into play. Korean friends have told me that if you're at a party in Korea, and the host offers you seconds, you're expected to refuse. The idea is, it's considered an insult if you accept right away, because it means that the host didn't feed you enough the first time around. So you refuse, and when you're asked again, you refuse again. I think they said it's OK to accept more on the third time around, or maybe it was the fourth. I told them not to try that in America. You get asked once, and if you refuse, the host will assume that you're full, or you didn't like the food, and it would be rude to ask again. So if you don't accept the first offer, you'll go hungry.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:01 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,075,306 times
Heavy/overweight people tend to do this. They want to eat all the time and they push eating onto others around them (usually thinner people) to validate their own eating abuses. Thin people aren't constantly eating.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:21 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,162,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Heavy/overweight people tend to do this. They want to eat all the time and they push eating onto others around them (usually thinner people) to validate their own eating abuses. Thin people aren't constantly eating.
Happens all the time, per that "community" (I follow various bariatrics groups). I am a morbidly obese person in remission. The condition is chronic, there is no cure, only steps to abate symptoms. I've been at a stable and healthy weight 14 months but it's ....life to go. Challenge accepted. But I do understand the thinking.

The short form of what you describe is "crabs in the bucket." I don't associate much with other morbidly obese people anymore. They find my emphasis on health and fitness...not obsession, just mindfulness each day...exhausting to their efforts to eat themselves to death. I don't have an opinion other than to keep away from crabs in the bucket that pull down others trying to escape.

Eternal vigilance, not caving to social pressure.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,564,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
A few people who I know will make food for someone, without being asked, and try to force the person to eat it. Even if the person never asked for it, never stated that s/he likes it and may not even be hungry. Then the food-forced gets angry.

If you do this to people, why do you? Why make food for someone without knowing if the person likes it, and then getting angry at the person if the person doesn’t eat it?
Well I don't, but I was raised to always accept food offered by your host. It is a social tradition that goes back centuries. When one enters your home, you offer them food. It is a symbolic gesture. To refuse one's host's hospitality show poor upbringing and reflects poorly on your family.

As my mom used to say: you only have to take one spoonful. Smile (even if you are gagging). Thank your host for their generosity, set the plate aside, and then go on with your reason for being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology