Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 03:58 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,775,337 times

Advertisements

Gonna give it a go tomorrow. In a red fishing sort of mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,962,806 times
Beautiful day on the harbor today. Took the daughters out and scored on trout and a flounder. Didn't know what to do with one flounder, so I made it into an Ecuadorian style ceviche with some poached shrimp left over from Christmas - absolutely killer. If you never do anything else, go to your favorite channel edge, get a flounder, put it on ice, take it home, make ceviche.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:40 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
We have moved down here, live next door to an avid fisherman. But at this point, I know zip about fishing down here, and he fishes for shark, giant grouper, etc. so the difference in experience is so wide that I can't use his experience. S going to take a 'how to fish in so Florida ' class next month.

Then we are headed out to wage war on the poor unsuspecting fishes.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Launched from Placida Park ramp at 830 AM just as the fog was lifting. Worked the east side of the Gasparilla Sound in 5-6 feet, catching a dozen undersized sea trout and one barely legal keeper that was fat enough to at least keep in the live well to see if he could be beat. He couldn't. Was rigged with a DOA deadly combo and live medium sized shrimp.

Trolled south along the 5' to 1' drop line, trolling the Storm Twitch Stick at 4 knots, 100' behind the boat. I'm not sure but the screaming drag may have awakened me as I was drifting off to sleep. Landed a really healthy, 22' Ladyfish. Redfish bait!

I headed straight for Bull Bay, coming in from the north side, or backside, via Sandfly Key. It always thrills me to run 20-25 knots in 1-2 feet of water at low tide. It scares me too but once I make it across the flat, I break into a big grin. If it sounds like I'm bragging...I'm not. In fair disclosure, I ran soft aground trying take the same route home. I really thought I was tracking my bread crumbs closely but obviously not. No harm, no foul.

Worked the cut bait and the shrimp in 2-3' on the rising tide in Bull Bay but to no avail. I saw some movement that looked promising but had no hookups.

The best part of this day, besides the weather and the fact that I was fishing...occurred when I was working the trout. I looked in the distance and notice another boat, with 3 anglers silhouetted against the sky, with shimmering water in the foreground. Photo opp. I laid down across my bow to get the shot right. As they drifted by I called out an offer to text it to them and they accepted. I'd love for someone to take a shot like this of me on my boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  

Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Launched from Placida Park ramp at 830 AM just as the fog was lifting. Worked the east side of the Gasparilla Sound in 5-6 feet, catching a dozen undersized sea trout and one barely legal keeper that was fat enough to at least keep in the live well to see if he could be beat. He couldn't. Was rigged with a DOA deadly combo and live medium sized shrimp.

Trolled south along the 5' to 1' drop line, trolling the Storm Twitch Stick at 4 knots, 100' behind the boat. I'm not sure but the screaming drag may have awakened me as I was drifting off to sleep. Landed a really healthy, 22' Ladyfish. Redfish bait!

I headed straight for Bull Bay, coming in from the north side, or backside, via Sandfly Key. It always thrills me to run 20-25 knots in 1-2 feet of water at low tide. It scares me too but once I make it across the flat, I break into a big grin. If it sounds like I'm bragging...I'm not. In fair disclosure, I ran soft aground trying take the same route home. I really thought I was tracking my bread crumbs closely but obviously not. No harm, no foul.

Worked the cut bait and the shrimp in 2-3' on the rising tide in Bull Bay but to no avail. I saw some movement that looked promising but had no hookups.

The best part of this day, besides the weather and the fact that I was fishing...occurred when I was working the trout. I looked in the distance and notice another boat, with 3 anglers silhouetted against the sky, with shimmering water in the foreground. Photo opp. I laid down across my bow to get the shot right. As they drifted by I called out an offer to text it to them and they accepted. I'd love for someone to take a shot like this of me on my boat.
Chamber of Commerce shot.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Successfully changed out the hydraulic pump for my Bennett trim tabs today. Pretty simple job. Looking forward to getting back on an even plane and flying over the flats. Anyone going out over New Year? I want to. Here's my old and new pumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  

Old 12-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Floated around Jug Creek Shoal this afternoon. Pompano, ladyfish, and a beautiful big Cero Mackerel - smoked fish spread for New Year's Eve!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:22 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,677 times
I was thinking of going out on New Years Day and launching at Placida.

But I have never launched there and don't want to make the drive out there and find out there is no place to park the truck and trailer after launching.

MA I know you launch there sometimes, do you think I will have any problems?

Gary

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Successfully changed out the hydraulic pump for my Bennett trim tabs today. Pretty simple job. Looking forward to getting back on an even plane and flying over the flats. Anyone going out over New Year? I want to. Here's my old and new pumps.
Wow. That's pretty used up.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I was thinking of going out on New Years Day and launching at Placida.

But I have never launched there and don't want to make the drive out there and find out there is no place to park the truck and trailer after launching.

MA I know you launch there sometimes, do you think I will have any problems?

Gary
WPC, nice catching. We're you on the outside or inside of the shoals? I'm guessing out. No trout though, huh? It's been such a good trout spot in years past but doesn't seem like it this year.

Hey Gary,

As long as you get there by 9 AM I think you would be fine. There's an overflow lot next door and I've only been forced to park there once, in all the times I've gone. Pretty sure that was a weekend day. I've been out there the past 3 weekends and found plenty of parking available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte