Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 06:29 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times

Advertisements

One of the two was a neighbor of mine. Nice guy, seemed pretty happy-go-lucky. He had just refitted his boat with a new motor and was excited to get back on the water. He and his nephew fished practically every day off the dock before he repowered. We saw them leave the afternoon of the accident and even commented to each other when it was storming that evening that they weren't back yet. I read the news the next morning online (no names were released yet) and when I didn't see their boat at daybreak I got a real bad feeling. Sadly that feeling played out. God rest their souls and bless their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:30 AM

5,173 posts, read 4,945,353 times
I do wear my PFD (they're the inflatable, suspender type) and use the kill switch halyard if I'm out myself but like most, I don't wear my PFD if I'm with others...just figure if I ended up in the drink someone could throw me one (a PFD that is, not a drink). This might be a good time to revisit that thinking.

As far as my PFDs go , each is outfitted with a wet-whistle on a halyard. I think I'm going to add a cyalume chem light to each one too.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:07 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I do wear my PFD (they're the inflatable, suspender type) and use the kill switch halyard if I'm out myself but like most, I don't wear my PFD if I'm with others...just figure if I ended up in the drink someone could throw me one (a PFD that is, not a drink). This might be a good time to revisit that thinking.

As far as my PFDs go , each is outfitted with a wet-whistle on a halyard. I think I'm going to add a cyalume chem light to each one too.
Great idea with the whistles and lights. I do allow guests to remove their PFDs while we're stopped fishing if they ask, but I keep mine on - I figure if somebody goes over, I know what to do; if I go over, I can't be sure what's going to happen on board. When we get underway, all the PFDs go back on.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 AM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
Yesterday at stumps pass this guy would not leave my wife alone. She would walk away and he would follow her. I also found this tortoise. I have seen these tortoises almost evrytime we go there. As for the fishing the snook bite was on early but we had to cheat a little. When I would see some snook lying on the bottom I would throw a couple shrimp to them to get them primed then throw a shrimp on a hook no sinker loosen the drag and YEE HAW The bite quite when the traffic starts building.Caught some trout and sheepies also. As you will notice she only aproached the manatee from the front as she has heard the big house story. Katie had to swim out and check the manatee too I missed a great picture of them touching noses.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-dscn2118.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-dscn2111.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-dscn2114.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-dscn2124.jpg  

Old 05-22-2015, 01:44 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Did you see the smile on that dog?

Old 05-23-2015, 04:10 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Great to see you out there, Pat.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Been a couple weeks for me but gonna try my luck in the cutoff tomorrow. Shouldn't be too many holiday weekend warriors in there...figure them mostly to be on the ICW. Anyone had any luck lately? Saw a post on Franks site claiming there were 6lb Dophin (yeah, the mahi mahi kind) caught just outside Boca Grande Pass in 55'. I wouldn't head there on a holiday weekend.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 AM

249 posts, read 321,606 times
Four people were rescued yesterday after their boat capsized in Charlotte Harbor. Officials said there was a good outcome because everyone was wearing a PFD and that they stayed with the overturned boat instead of trying to swim to shore. Kudos to those aboard the boat and those involved in the rescue.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:48 PM

Pretty good day on the water today. Started at Franks at 6AM with 4 dozen selects. Jeff and Greg, behind the counter, recommended going as far south as I was willing, due to the salinity in the upper harbor and the lack of catch reports. I made the run all the way to Bokeelia/ Matlatcha area and it paid off. Caught and released 30 some fish, mostly short trout but scored these keeper trout and mangrove snapper for the table. Also caught a bonnet head shark and way too many catfish for my liking. With all the tasty table fare in our harbor, catfish is a junk fish to us. Caught 3 pin fish the size of my hand. Weather cooperated nicely. Boat ran great. Used every one of 4 dozen shrimp by 11 AM. Great day. Came back north along the east side bar, trolling the whole way...nothing. Went into the Cutoff and used the pins for cut bait...4 sail cats, no Reds. No complaints, only thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  

Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 AM

Took this shot at the Charlotte Beach boat ramp at sunrise yesterday.
My favorite time of day. Would have been really cool to have the Mako in the foreground but I was alone and there wasn't time to set a stage.

We have our Grandtwins coming out for two weeks next month. Going to have to take the GoPro out on the water and film some memories. They've been coming out here from AZ since they were 9. That year I had a 26' WAC. I taught them to drive it on the harbor and took a picture, from the bow, of them both at the helm underway. It was published in the Waterline the next week. They thought they were celebrities. They'll turn 16 later this year. #dontblink
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-image.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte