Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Perhaps the most significant thing about what the board discussed today is their desire to allow the boy scouts and girl scouts to send materials home in back packs. What they need to realize and if they were members of the state school board association is that there are legal issues associated with this. There are equal access requirements and you can't select which groups you allow and which you don't allow access to your communication systems. This includes the PA system and the distribution of materials.
It becomes all or none and that is why districts usually opt for none. It is a lot like community use of the facilities you need a fair and equitable process that is a level playing field for groups. The PA and materials distributed to students are controversial areas.

?!?! Those materials have been coming home in backpacks for the 4 years we have lived here. That and much more. Science camps, cooking camps, soccer academies... why the fuss all of a sudden?
Was our school running afoul of the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
?!?! Those materials have been coming home in backpacks for the 4 years we have lived here. That and much more. Science camps, cooking camps, soccer academies... why the fuss all of a sudden?
Was our school running afoul of the law?
NO they were managing the situation. You raise a good point if the stuff was coming home already couldn't the boy scouts and girl scouts of done so? Was this a point being made that didn't need to be made by a board member? One question about the materials coming home were they school system sponsored/school related science camps, cooking camps, soccer academies etc or were they also private community sponsored ones(non government)?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,166 times
From what I saw last night on ABC news I gathered that we are a year from any changes being implemented- there will be a few months of research, a few months of community input, studies, etc., etc.

I think it is bizarre that people are so violently opposed to a plan that they have yet to see.

Then they attack the board members with very thinly veiled ethnic slurs and innuendos about sexual orientation as they cry "racism!" They attack the board members as newcomers while they are led by people who don't live in Wake County. Or they say that supporters of the new board are the same people who supported segregation years ago... or they are yankees... or both.

Then they are shocked that the board wants to hire people with whom they agree. Huh? Isn't that how it always works in government?

Then they think the election was a fluke, even though there was record turnout.

So here is my question...

What happens after the next election? Will that one be seen as legitimate? Will we give the newly-constituted board a chance to try out their ideas? Or will we just hurl blanket accusations at them?

Can we please try to discuss the ideas and plans we are debating instead of just labelling people?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
From what I saw last night on ABC news I gathered that we are a year from any changes being implemented- there will be a few months of research, a few months of community input, studies, etc., etc.

I think it is bizarre that people are so violently opposed to a plan that they have yet to see.

Then they attack the board members with very thinly veiled ethnic slurs and innuendos about sexual orientation as they cry "racism!" They attack the board members as newcomers while they are led by people who don't live in Wake County. Or they say that supporters of the new board are the same people who supported segregation years ago... or they are yankees... or both.

Then they are shocked that the board wants to hire people with whom they agree. Huh? Isn't that how it always works in government?

Then they think the election was a fluke, even though there was record turnout.

So here is my question...

What happens after the next election? Will that one be seen as legitimate? Will we give the newly-constituted board a chance to try out their ideas? Or will we just hurl blanket accusations at them?

Can we please try to discuss the ideas and plans we are debating instead of just labelling people?
From the top to the bottom, from National to Local isn't that what it is all about these days? A continuing cycle as each side takes shots when they can as often as they can. I missed the sexual innuendo about someone at the local level. Who is that? When board members align with political parties it is Katie Bar the Doors and let the political wrangling begin. When Tedesco showed up at the Tea Party( a group known for name calling) he opened the doors making himself a target by others.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
I see that todays meeting confirms that the School Board is aiming for tighter powers to rein in the power of the new Superintendent. Seems they might struggle to recruit an outstanding schools leader if that level of interference is written into the job specification

Wake school board aims for tighter rein on superintendent's power :: WRAL.com
There's much to complain about with this new board - but this? Really?
Quote:
The committee looked at job descriptions from Union and Guilford counties and debated language that would require board input in major changes. It was unclear, however, how far down the chain of command the board wanted to influence changes. Language crafted Thursday would require consultation with the board for any Central Office reorganization or major staff changes and approval for anything that would raise costs.
I can't imagine any board of directors for any major business operations not wanting visibility to, and some degree of control over, major reorganizations and cost issues. That doesn't create a "yes man" to me - it creates a system of oversight, control and accountability. Our elected leaders should have authority over the staffers that they manage, and the staffers should be accountable to our elected leaders.

Has anyone actually looked at the langauge Union and Guilford counties use that the board was reviewing? (I acknowledge I have not.) What degree of control do they exercise? How different would Wake be?

I do understand the hostility toward this board, but it's starting to seem as if there's a knee-jerk "oh my god look what they've done now" reaction to every single thing they do.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 AM

YouTube - John Tedesco Wake County School Board at Tea Party

Check out the YouTube video of his introduction and speech at the Tea Party rally and if anyone still wonders why! Ok! Wow we have taken control of the largest school system at a Tea Party rally. Who are the we he was talking about? The Tea Party listeners? Wow listen to the speech and you wonder why? Listen how many times he uses the words fight, fight and fight again. It was your old fashioned throw down challenge and his words were his deeds and now Wake lives with them. Listen for yourself. The first few minutes will tell you all. Listen to him talk about wanting the roots of the tea party in our children. Listen and maybe you will understand why war has begun at the school board level in Wake. It wasn't Meeker who threw down the gauntlet. Listen to the video and still wonder!

Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There's much to complain about with this new board - but this? Really?I can't imagine any board of directors for any major business operations not wanting visibility to, and some degree of control over, major reorganizations and cost issues. That doesn't create a "yes man" to me - it creates a system of oversight, control and accountability. Our elected leaders should have authority over the staffers that they manage, and the staffers should be accountable to our elected leaders.

Has anyone actually looked at the langauge Union and Guilford counties use that the board was reviewing? (I acknowledge I have not.) What degree of control do they exercise? How different would Wake be?

I do understand the hostility toward this board, but it's starting to seem as if there's a knee-jerk "oh my god look what they've done now" reaction to every single thing they do.
Are you aware of the many issues in corporate America with the CEO of the company having such great influence of their Board of Directors and the Board not having the control over the company they should. You have got to be kidding about the Board of Directors controlling the CEO in business. The issue is just the opposite. Board of Directors in corporate America having control over the CEO and basic decisions? They are often yes men to the salaries and golden parachutes of the CEO. Remember those issues with Wall Street and the Auto industry and bailouts and lack of accountability when companies failed etc etc etc. Remember all the press about the CEO also holding the Chairman of the Board position in so many companies? Can't imagine? You don't need to imagine it is real. There is a lot of discussion about the relationship of boards to management in the private sector. To characterize it as all one way or the other is to be wrong.
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Board_of_directors
The actual power held by the board of directors varies widely from company to company. In some companies, the board of directors form a powerful body to which senior management is subservient. Other times, the board is a formality which merely rubber stamps decisions of the CEO and senior management.
The above is from the link

The board is run by the chairman of the board, who may or may not be an employee of the company. Often the CEO serves as the chairman. Some hold that this is inappropriate in a publicly-held company, for, they contend, it gives management too much power over the board, which is supposed to provide oversight of management. Can you imagine if the chairman of the school board was also an employee of the school system? Perhaps the superintendent? It does happen in the private sector.

I don't mean to be so strong in my response and I apologize if I come off as being rude. But the relationship between boards of control and management is another topic of interest for me.

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-25-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Are you aware of the many issues in corporate America with the CEO of the company having such great influence of their Board of Directors and the Board not having the control over the company they should. You have got to be kidding about the Board of Directors controlling the CEO in business. The issue is just the opposite. Board of Directors in corporate America having control over the CEO and basic decisions? They are often yes men to the salaries and golden parachutes of the CEO. Remember those issues with Wall Street and the Auto industry and bailouts and lack of accountability when companies failed etc etc etc. Remember all the press about the CEO also holding the Chairman of the Board position in so many companies? Can't imagine? You don't need to imagine it is real.
You've stated in better than I did TurborgP - lack of effective Board control over management can lead to serious problems - demonstrably true in the corporate world, and presumably equally true in the educational industruy as well. I guess we need to applaud this board for being willing to assert itself over management.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You've stated in better than I did TurborgP - lack of effective Board control over management can lead to serious problems - demonstrably true in the corporate world, and presumably equally true in the educational industruy as well. I guess we need to applaud this board for being willing to assert itself over management.

that would be great if they were experienced in school operations. Private companies regardless of how they select board members usually select ones experienced in management or the industry or politicians with ties to help them lobby. Unions are the ones who want board directors with special interest who might be anti corporate America (dumb). Many wonder if Wake now has a majority on the board who are anti public education wanting greater management/control over their school system. The size and scope of the school system doesn't drive the number of board members you have. Nine is a normal number and it is one thing for nine to exercise control over a small system and another thing for them to do so with one the size of Wake. How much bigger is Wake compared to Guilford? Would the scope of the individual board members responsibility be proportional? For obvious reasons larger district superintendents tend to have more control. The key word is effective management. It can be easier in the world of public education to find one highly effective superintendent vs a highly effective board of education to run your school system.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 AM

So you're saying this is the right policy, just the wrong board to implement it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary