Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Yeah we need career politicians running the system so they can cover their butts and assure their jobs are safe. That is the entire problem with our leadership system, it's inhabited by career politicians instead of regular people.
A number of people don't want their children to grow up just being regular. Thus they seek out school systems that rise above the average. Others are content with being regular and average personally and for their kids. Thus the best scenario is like people seeking communities with similar people and thoughts. One might wonder if some people wouldn't want something other than regular running their school system.

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-25-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 PM

200 posts, read 449,461 times
What does Tedesco mean by "social engineering?"

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
What does Tedesco mean by "social engineering?"
Hmmmm I will leave that to others but since it comes out of the mouth of a board member who is wanting to lead the board in a specific direction I guess you are entitled to a very specific answer from him or his supporters.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
Would Del Burns be considered regular? Is he irregular because of his PhD? I know PhD's that I would not let watch my kids for 10 minutes.

IMHO, this whole thing just stinks of good ole boy networking. What these good ole boys need to remember is that the demographic has changed in Wake County. The new board is carrying out what they promised during their campaign, like it or not.

I just get the feeling that there are so many individual agendas and academic types who like to sit around and discuss ideas in a vacuum. Unfortunately, the real world does not work in a vacuum. At the very least, I give this school board credit for taking on the establishment and carrying out the will of their supporters.

The good ole boys had their time, its looks like its over..

BTW, Meeker looks a bit Moderator cut: language whipped, given that his wife is a member of the good ole boy faction of the board.

Let the flaming begin.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A number of people don't want their children to grow up just being regular. Thus they seek out school systems that rise above the average. Others are content with being regular and average personally and for their kids. Thus the best scenario is like people seeking communities with similar people and thoughts. One might wonder if some people wouldn't want something other than regular running their school system.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-25-2010 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Please use appropriate language and let the filters do their work.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:06 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Regular people with or without a knowledge and skill base. On the job training without the state school board association to provide the knowledge of their cumulative years of experience on Boards of Education state wide? How regular is regular?
Wow I feel my point was missed. Regular was not the right word, I should of used outsider.

The board of an organization should to consist of individuals that are not tied directly to it. They give guidance and perspective that an insider just can not bring. And should consist of bright people with good heads on their shoulder. A person like that can take advice from the insiders and sort out the real value from status quo and resistance to change.

If you follow your path of logic and fill the board with life long educators, the value of the board is lost. The outside perspective and experience is no longer their. Now it's just a group of superintendent types governing a person of the same background and perspective. It's not productive at all. You will just get "more of the same" to put it in familiar terms of the day.

I think that to run, debate, get elected a person is above the average.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I guess I'm still confused.

In the N&O this AM, Mayor Meeker is quoted as saying "We have people who are not from our area, don't share our values, who are the majority on the school board".

He obviously forgot to add "and were elected by the people as I was".

Is he really saying that folks who haven't lived here a certain amount of time are not suitable to hold office? Wow, and folks are mad at Arizona for how they treat outsiders ...

I tried to research the recall petition, but can't find any direct links to NC law and school board elections.

Frank
Yeah, that's a really common complaint, though. I see it here all the time. It's always about blaming the newcomers. I don't think you have to be "From Here" to have good solutions; at the same time, you also need to have an awareness of local custom and history. There are concepts of negotiation and 2- way discourse that have been really ignored here.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 PM

I hope those considering moving to Wake county are reading the thoughts of many citizens and the new board members. It is up to you if you want to spend 600K for a house and send you children to public school in Wake. Is this the making of high schools that Newsweek will include in their top 1600 high schools 5 years from now? Only time will tell.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 PM

91 posts, read 180,988 times
I think the new school board is exactly what incoming parents want. They want their kids to go to school close to their homes. They want to be involved in their school. The key to most kids success is parental involvement. Its easier to do that when your school is 5 minutes away as oppose to 30 minutes away.

The assignment plan is a year away at best. Why do people want it to fail? Why not give it a chance, that is assuming that everyone wants our kids to be the best they can be. It may just work.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
I think the new school board is exactly what incoming parents want. They want their kids to go to school close to their homes. They want to be involved in their school. The key to most kids success is parental involvement. Its easier to do that when your school is 5 minutes away as oppose to 30 minutes away.

The assignment plan is a year away at best. Why do people want it to fail? Why not give it a chance, that is assuming that everyone wants our kids to be the best they can be. It may just work.
They may want that but do they want all of the other happenings in the system these days? Do they want a high profile board member giving the Tea Party speech Tedesco did? Do they want community strife that appears to be only getting more pronounced? How many will really get schools five minutes away in two years when a plan is actually implemented?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM

91 posts, read 180,988 times
The community strife existed well before Tedesco got in office. The community strife began when the previous board. They kind of brought this on themselves. The districts that voted in the new board, were the districts that were constantly ignored by the previous board. They finally found reps that will and are listening to them. In addition they are delivering on their election promises. I find that pretty darn cool, and wish other elected officials would remember to do the same.

Wake County is not the first school board to negotiate community strife. Durham suffered simliar strife just a few years ago, as have many other school systems, and they have all survived. I don't think the strife factors one bit in anyone's decision to move here.

As for assignments, I dont know how many will be five minutes away in 2 years, but Im willing to wait to see the plan. A draft is supposed to come out the end of this year and it might just work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary