Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
The community strife existed well before Tedesco got in office. The community strife began when the previous board. They kind of brought this on themselves. The districts that voted in the new board, were the districts that were constantly ignored by the previous board. They finally found reps that will and are listening to them. In addition they are delivering on their election promises. I find that pretty darn cool, and wish other elected officials would remember to do the same.

Wake County is not the first school board to negotiate community strife. Durham suffered simliar strife just a few years ago, as have many other school systems, and they have all survived. I don't think the strife factors one bit in anyone's decision to move here.

As for assignments, I dont know how many will be five minutes away in 2 years, but Im willing to wait to see the plan. A draft is supposed to come out the end of this year and it might just work.
Problem is there is a wave of people not willing to wait. I feel confident being a transplant and knowing others who could have been that Wake has lost some of its luster. You have to remember we have had forum discussions about how friends and neighbors reacted when telling them we were moving south to North Carolina. We THEN told them not what you think. Some of us are now hearing TOLD YOU SO! Just reading the many negative thread comments about Durham and Charlotte one has to hope Wake does a better job surviving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
If newcomers think the new board represents you, then please undserstand the rest of us are feeling very lucky that we have a man like Meeker who understands where our system came from and have the cajones to fight for it.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
The community strife existed well before Tedesco got in office. The community strife began when the previous board. They kind of brought this on themselves. The districts that voted in the new board, were the districts that were constantly ignored by the previous board. They finally found reps that will and are listening to them. In addition they are delivering on their election promises. I find that pretty darn cool, and wish other elected officials would remember to do the same.

Wake County is not the first school board to negotiate community strife. Durham suffered simliar strife just a few years ago, as have many other school systems, and they have all survived. I don't think the strife factors one bit in anyone's decision to move here.

As for assignments, I dont know how many will be five minutes away in 2 years, but Im willing to wait to see the plan. A draft is supposed to come out the end of this year and it might just work.
It might work for one year, until two new neighborhoods are built to overpopulate the school that your child goes to, and someone has to be redistricted. Same problem as always, and this board has no "plan" to manage that reality. The school board can't control growth, and they cannot build schools fast enough to accomodate that growth...especially when there is no way for them to accurately predict where and when that growth will occur. How can they promise your child will go in your neighborhood, and actually keep that promise? I suppose they could require "new families" to go to schools outside their neighorhoods, but that is busing, and they are vehemently opposed to busing, so what then?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
It might work for one year, until two new neighborhoods are built to overpopulate the school that your child goes to, and someone has to be redistricted. Same problem as always, and this board has no "plan" to manage that reality. The school board can't control growth, and they cannot build schools fast enough to accomodate that growth...especially when there is no way for them to accurately predict where and when that growth will occur. How can they promise your child will go in your neighborhood, and actually keep that promise? I suppose they could require "new families" to go to schools outside their neighorhoods, but that is busing, and they are vehemently opposed to busing, so what then?
The reality sets in that the diversity policy distracted folks from realizing the real consequences of growth with or without the diversity policy. It provided a great cover screen that is now gone.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:26 AM

7,149 posts, read 4,743,435 times
If I were considering moving here and had kids to think of, there is no way I would have enrolled them in Wake County previously. It would have stopped me from moving here.

Having lived all over the country in ten different states, I have never seen any school district bus kids all over the place and make them change schools in the middle of their high school years, or make them attend schools other than those considered their "neighborhood" schools for the sake of "diversity" like I have seen here in NC.

Meeker's political interjection and threat to sue before even seeing what is going to happen is akin to Obama's remarks and threats to sue the state of AZ before knowing what he was talking about.

The board was elected by the people, Mr. Mayor, and the people chose those members who they felt would best represent their wishes.

The way politicians are so determined to control the outcome if it's not to their liking is becoming a sickening reality in this country.

There is comfort in knowing that one's child will be attending a school close to home. Apparently the citizen voters of Wake County have spoken. It's not up to politicians to try to change the votes.

It was a foregone conclusion that the previous "diversity" policy of bussing kids all over the county would eventually fail.

best,
toodie

Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The reality sets in that the diversity policy distracted folks from realizing the real consequences of growth with or without the diversity policy. It provided a great cover screen that is now gone.
No, no, no my friend. Diversity is still the great smoke screen, and it's working beautifully for this board. They've set up the grandest of diversions over dropping the the diversity policy, and have many people entirely focused on that, as if that was the primary goal of this board. While folks bicker and complain about diversity, the board majority continues to plot it's real plan ... Are you paying attention, folks?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
The board was elected by the people, Mr. Mayor, and the people chose those members who they felt would best represent their wishes.
I was not able to vote in the latest board election. None of the people who live in my area had that option. We didn't vote for the new board. They certainly don't represent my wishes.

You think Raleigh is going to just "wait and see" what the new board will do? They have already broadcast the agenda. I'm not surprised at all that Raleigh is on the offensive now. The school board should have anticipated this. If not, shame on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
There is comfort in knowing that one's child will be attending a school close to home.
Do you also take comfort in knowing that some community schools will be at 150% capacity and children will still need to be sent somewhere further away? I am shocked at how many people think that every kid will be able to go to the school closest to them while completely ignoring the fact that a lot of bussing had to do with overcrowding issues. All these paretns expecting every child will get to go to school right down the road are simply kidding themselves.

All the best to you too.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:36 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
With any luck, Cary and Apex moves to separate itself from the Wake County School System, similar to Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Taxes will increase, but it is a price that many are willing to pay. For those that are not, options abound.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 AM

345 posts, read 1,060,599 times
Then Cary and Apex need to come up with a lot of money to build schools, or purchase those that belong to Wake County.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:56 AM

My my, Is Wake county about to Wake up? Will their seleep for the next couple of years be a dream or a nightmare? What will the future hold. Yes not everyone could or did vote in the last election so it will be interesting to see how they weigh in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary