Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Considering the topic of the thread and the title of the thread are you suggesting Wake should seek a Superintendent with the skills to make the school system average to below average?
Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Is this what you took from my post?
I have stated that I don't believe in socioeconomic integration.
I have stated that kids in areas that are on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale have the opportunity to get a good education. I don't believe in making excuses for your own situation.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-27-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
It isn't about making them hold hands. It's about all public school students having the same opportunity for future achievement.
Exactly! It's also about learning about other people. Prejudice is born of ignorance. How can you teach children to accept all others, when we send them a clear message that we need to "stay with our own kind"? Some things you can't learn from a book. If we tell kids that the next neighborhood over is filled with "those others", and suddenly they are redistricted to that school...what do you tell them? That that whole "our kind" thing was a lie? To still hold on to their air of superiority when they are a minority in their new school? I'm sure that will make them fit in well, and allow them to focus on their education.

Yes, the "across the tracks" situation will always exist, unfortunately. Why do we need to weave it into the fabric of our children's primary education?

And yes, I personally have gone off topic from the original post of this thread. For that, I apologize.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:01 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
Is this what you took from my post?
I have stated that I don't believe in socioeconomic integration.
I have stated that kids in areas that are on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale have the opportunity to get a good education. I don't believe in making excuses for your own situation.
I guess you won't be reading any more of my posts unless they are in response to you. Tried to draw this one out but I decided not to. So does this mean you want a superintendent who doesn't believe in socioeconomic integration also? Does that mean you want the new superintendent to believe that kids are responsible for their socioeconomic status? This is important if it represents the thinking of those supporting the new board. It would begin to explain the anxiety by many within Wake about the new majority on the board and why they feel they need to be stopped before they can accomplish their agenda. There is a difference between being against busing for socioeconomic integration and being against it period. Not sure how you meant you don't believe in it but if the new board is against it period that would be significant to some.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 06-27-2010, 01:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Dr. Del Burns was a great educator and I knew him personally.

He loved everyone and I adored him even though I didn't agree on socioeconomic integration via busing.

The new crew, however, sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats and may have a different reason for ending busing than mine which is to stop wasting money on diesel fuel to achieve no benefit.

As an aside, my son went to East Millbrook Middle School which had a diverse mix. The students polarized racially creating a hateful atmosphere for all. They did not properly assimilate.

Nowadays, the only bar to living in a safe area is the color of your money.

We can't just truck kids around twice a day and assume they will love each other.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:27 PM

182 posts, read 386,565 times
one wonders why all these folks moved here if they knew better where they were

I guess they came to show us how to do things the right way

like up home

Old 06-27-2010, 01:31 PM

really though, what choice do they have but to hire a flunky? what level of professional educator are they going to get that is going to put up with a plumber telling him how to run a 140,000 student public education system? the whole thing is comical. it's no wonder they opened the door to non-professional educators. they had to

Old 06-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
one wonders why all these folks moved here if they knew better where they were

I guess they came to show us how to do things the right way

like up home
Folks didn't necessarily realize how things were organized here. When you are so very familiar with small school districts you might not realize that you were moving to a county wide district. Even if you realized it was a county wide district you might not have anticipated the extent of the transportation policy. The News Observer has a good story on which board members came recently and which were here for a longer period of time. What most newcomers don't have is an appreciation of the history of what created the transportation policy. We can read and research but we didn't experience it.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM

^ were you here when the same group of backers succeeded at defeating the billion dollar school bond 10 years ago?

their strategic target voter then was older voters with no children isn school. "why pay $100 more in tax for schools when your kids are out of school? let the people with kids in school worry about it."

so they succeeded at that, thereby causing tremedous assignment issues, and then this time targeted those people with those assignment issues

I'm not sure if they told them they were the ones that created the assignment issues to start with

Old 06-27-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
^ were you here when the same group of backers succeeded at defeating the billion dollar school bond 10 years ago?

their strategic target voter then was older voters with no children isn school. "why pay $100 more in tax for schools when your kids are out of school? let the people with kids in school worry about it."

so they succeeded at that, thereby causing tremedous assignment issues, and then this time targeted those people with those assignment issues

I'm not sure if they told them they were the ones that created the assignment issues to start with
I understand what you are saying, just offering a perspective. I can understand how people came here not realizing how this area has schools organized differently. I was no where close to being here when the county and city schools merged but I was very aware of it from a distance and involved in discussions about.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:18 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,557,079 times
Let me understand this, because I have never experienced redistricting. I can afford to buy in Neighborhood A - so my socioeconomic situation permits us to afford what we can. This being said, I am able to have my children go to a good school 10 minutes away. School District steps in and decides to send my children 45 minutes away to a school in not so good neighborhood and not rated as good as the school in my neighborhood.

Am I understanding this correctly???? So, now, I presume many parents are sending their children to private school where they could have been sending them to school district they were able to buy into and afford.

Have I understood this concept correctly???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary