Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
...One question about the materials coming home were they school system sponsored/school related science camps, cooking camps, soccer academies etc or were they also private community sponsored ones(non government)?
I am referring to the private camps and programs. Of course we should get the school stuff. And, the private stuff? I don't mind the info, even though I toss most of it. You can tell by the high production value that it isn't being printed at school ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,220 times
Quote:
Ok help me to understand. The opponents to Tedesco tend to be liberal. Liberals tend to embrace gay rights. In general not an absolute. So who were the folks mocking Tedesco and so if he is gay and on the board of education? Why were their comments newsworthy? Sensationalism to stir up the pot worthy maybe.
Here's a link. The whole thing creates more heat than light.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7516161

What are we angry about? What are we fighting for, or against?

Too much popsturing & grandstanding, too little debate for my taste.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Bond issues are ignorant creating a waste of money for debt service.

Developers and buyers of new construction should fund new schools with impact fees,

Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

Developers and buyers of new construction should fund new schools with impact fees,
Depends on how much you want to encourage the growth. Impact fees can discourage development and related economic and job creation growth. Much depends on the local economic cycle etc. I would think in the current climate the county would want to become as business friendly as possible. Counties do compete for development and it will often go to where they can do business for the least money with affordable housing for their employees. Impact fees on housing development are not a reliable income stream as we know from the current environment that new housing starts are way down.

The following is from Durham and is a good read on impact fees and school cost.
http://www.durhamcountync.gov/depart..._Fees_FAQ.html
10. Why are we talking about impact fees when there's a bond referendum to pay for schools?
Voter approval of bond referenda enables the County to issue debt for school improvements. Normally bonded indebtedness is amortized over a twenty-year period, meaning the County would be required to make a payment every year for twenty years. Impact fees would be used to help pay for the debt associated with school bonds; however, impact fees can only be used to pay for improvements related to capacity (increasing classrooms, building new schools, enlarging supporting facilities due to student growth, etc.). In other words, property taxpayers would continue to pay for the cost of school improvements that have nothing to do with increasing capacity.

Business wants appropriate housing available if they are going to relocate to a given area. Builders need a tax friendly environment especially with the way they are struggling. It is all a circle that becomes challenging in times like we are in now. Impact fees add to the cost of housing and can make a given area attractive or not attractive to employees. The issues you raise are very important and very valid and our beyond the thus far limited debate on education in Wake County.

Last edited by TuborgP; 07-11-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

If you issue a bond then everyone in the tax district covers the cost of the debt service.

If you have impact fees then only the new residents cover to the cost of the debt service (assuming they are financing their mortgage and the impact fees are passed on to them in increased cost).

As a current homeowner in Wake county, having impact fees drive up the price of new housing makes my existing home more attractive. However is pointed up a few posts up, impact fees will curb growth of new homes, which will also make existing home more attractive.

So I am for impact fees since I am not in the building, developing, real estate business and it only affects me in secondary ways not not directly.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM

161 posts, read 109,802 times
Quote:

YouTube - John Tedesco Wake County School Board at Tea Party

Check out the YouTube video of his introduction and speech at the Tea Party rally and if anyone still wonders why! Ok! Wow we have taken control of the largest school system at a Tea Party rally. Who are the we he was talking about? The Tea Party listeners? Wow listen to the speech and you wonder why? Listen how many times he uses the words fight, fight and fight again. It was your old fashioned throw down challenge and his words were his deeds and now Wake lives with them. Listen for yourself. The first few minutes will tell you all. Listen to him talk about wanting the roots of the tea party in our children. Listen and maybe you will understand why war has begun at the school board level in Wake. It wasn't Meeker who threw down the gauntlet. Listen to the video and still wonder!
A very inspiring and uplifting video. I am glad you posted it. It makes me proud to say I live here.

Quote:
Do they want a high profile board member giving the Tea Party speech Tedesco did?
Yes. It was a proud moment for Raleigh. We should be inspiring our children to take part in the system. Lead by example.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
If you issue a bond then everyone in the tax district covers the cost of the debt service.

If you have impact fees then only the new residents cover to the cost of the debt service (assuming they are financing their mortgage and the impact fees are passed on to them in increased cost).

As a current homeowner in Wake county, having impact fees drive up the price of new housing makes my existing home more attractive. However is pointed up a few posts up, impact fees will curb growth of new homes, which will also make existing home more attractive.

So I am for impact fees since I am not in the building, developing, real estate business and it only affects me in secondary ways not not directly.
What you say makes sense however there are economic cycles that can challenge it. If you have a boom followed by a bust you can have a surge in couples moving in. They will tend to have children in many cases who are preschool school or not yet in upper grades. As they move through the grades they will create the demand for new school facilities. If you go into a bust mode and don't have the new housing coming in at the needed rate you can have a shortage of impact fees for schools, roads etc etc etc. It is now time to pay the piper and that is one of the great challenges facing the new board.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-elect Nobody View Post
A very inspiring and uplifting video. I am glad you posted it. It makes me proud to say I live here.

Yes. It was a proud moment for Raleigh. We should be inspiring our children to take part in the system. Lead by example.
Yes it was a fine political moment for some but was it a prudent education moment for moving forward?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:49 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,733 times
The impact fee argument is 10 years too late.
Way too many new Wake County subdivisions have barely survived due to our real estate crash (and anybody who doesn't think we had one isn't paying attention).
The economic engine that drove our population growth during the last decade will never be seen again. We have had our perfect storm.
The system (WCPSS) is simply too big to be managed in a way that makes sense anymore by anyone on either side of this argument. It needs to be broken up into smaller pieces.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 PM

161 posts, read 109,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
The system (WCPSS) is simply too big to be managed in a way that makes sense anymore by anyone on either side of this argument. It needs to be broken up into smaller pieces.
This is the most intelligent solution. This is the only place I have lived where the schools are not just for each town and I can't believe busing was still in play until this year. Busing is a thing of the past almost anywhere you go. Busing was an ugly stain on our country's history and most places don't even want to admit they used to do it.

Any place that feels they need to bus students in a social experiment has big problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary