Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
1. Take the kids away and put them in schools like Boys' Town & Girls' Town
to give them a chance.
2. Terminate all government assistance to the loser parents
3. Spay/neuter the loser parents as required to prevent repetition of the
problem

Sounds cruel but it's really the only way to break the cycle if the parents are unable or unwilling to improve.
So as others have suggested is this really the end game of the new board? Are you part of the official support think tank or are you just free lancing in your support of them? Do you have access to any of the new board members and do they concur with your thinking? What is the time horizon you see them taking to implement this? Are you alone in your thoughts or do you know other supporters of the new board who have this policy. Would it be used prior to people having children? How do you plan to deal with folks taken off of government assistance.
Perhaps most importantly is your thinking part of a solution? Perhaps part of a solution that will end many problems as you see them existing? If it eliminates problems long term what you consider it to be? Perhaps the FINAL SOLUTION?
So in summary I am wondering if this is what the new board is advocating or if you are isolated from them and this is just your thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Please, not the "best county public school in the nation" nonsense again. Enough with the defensiveness already. Are the natives so defensive that they can not accept ideas from outside sources?
Give me a break.
Every time we have one of these discussions that focuses on the new school board, there seems to be a need to remind ourselves that the old board got tossed out for a reason. In fact, I believe many people voted more "against" the old board than 'for" the new one.

WCPSS does need to implement some changes. It my personal view, it had become too inbred, to focused on perpetuating itself rather than serving students and families, and too closed off to new ideas. Looking for outside talent is certainly one thing the district needs to do.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 AM

345 posts, read 1,060,680 times
Quote:
Please, not the "best county public school in the nation" nonsense again.
Enough with the defensiveness already. Are the natives so defensive that they can not accept ideas from outside sources?
Give me a break.
I'm not a native, but have been here for a very long time. I cannot accept new ideas if they involve segregation based on race and/or socio economic circumstance. I grew up in a world with "across the tracks", and I don't want that for my child. I don't want that for myself. I don't want the level of racial tension that I left behind in those other places. I like being able to wander wherever I please in this area, and not worry that I'll make a wrong turn. I attribute that reality in large part, to the way the schools are run. We teach our children many things in school. We should be progressive enough to exclude discrimination.

Just remember, they will have to redistrict, unless growth in Wake County stops all together (which is unlikely), and that might put people who go to a 1% F&R school into an 80% F&R school, depending on how close they are to one another. How does the majority plan to soothe those parents? At least with the way it is now, if your child is redistricted, it will be to another school with a similar make up. No system is perfect, but I see problems coming that will make the problems we have now, seem pathetic in comparison.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
I'm not a native, but have been here for a very long time. I cannot accept new ideas if they involve segregation based on race and/or socio economic circumstance. I grew up in a world with "across the tracks", and I don't want that for my child. I don't want that for myself. I don't want the level of racial tension that I left behind in those other places. I like being able to wander wherever I please in this area, and not worry that I'll make a wrong turn. I attribute that reality in large part, to the way the schools are run. We teach our children many things in school. We should be progressive enough to exclude discrimination.

Just remember, they will have to redistrict, unless growth in Wake County stops all together (which is unlikely), and that might put people who go to a 1% F&R school into an 80% F&R school, depending on how close they are to one another. How does the majority plan to soothe those parents? At least with the way it is now, if your child is redistricted, it will be to another school with a similar make up. No system is perfect, but I see problems coming that will make the problems we have now, seem pathetic in comparison.

Such as?

I am sure that there have been millions of folks in our country who once lived "across the tracks". Those that pulled themselves up, with no assistance from the government, no longer live "across the tracks".

BTW, how are we segregating based on race? There are kids of all races at my kids school that live in the immediate area. I happen to think that is great. Nobody is segregating.

With regard to socioeconomic status, well, it is what it is. Not everyone is able to live in Alpine, NJ either.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 AM

419 posts, read 1,398,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
I'm not a native, but have been here for a very long time. I cannot accept new ideas if they involve segregation based on race and/or socio economic circumstance. I grew up in a world with "across the tracks", and I don't want that for my child. I don't want that for myself. I don't want the level of racial tension that I left behind in those other places.
The world "across the tracks" will always exist. Do you think segregating schools makes that go away? Just because you mix rich kids and poor kids together doesn't me they will all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-27-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Fixed the quote code for clarity

Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,889 times
No, but it does offer both the same opportunity to live on the track side of their choosing as adults. It isn't about making them hold hands. It's about all public school students having the same opportunity for future achievement.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 AM

182 posts, read 386,581 times
Quote:
Please, not the "best county public school in the nation" nonsense again.
Enough with the defensiveness already. Are the natives so defensive that they can not accept ideas from outside sources?
Give me a break.
when the new ideas come from people who left their native homes because they couldn't stand it, and now want to transform our home into what they came form, I don't need your ideas

you just said:

"I came from a school system that would be considered average to below average. In my school, you could either coast and get by, or apply yourself and find the classes that were filled with like minded people."

now, why should we be listening to you? where you came from stunk, and you're going to turn us into what you came from?

but you still have no idea what the real agenda of the people behind this is. they're merely using newcomers to achieve an entirely different goal

Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
when the new ideas come from people who left their native homes because they couldn't stand it, and now want to transform our home into what they came form, I don't need your ideas

you just said:

"I came from a school system that would be considered average to below average. In my school, you could either coast and get by, or apply yourself and find the classes that were filled with like minded people."

now, why should we be listening to you? where you came from stunk, and you're going to turn us into what you came from?

but you still have no idea what the real agenda of the people behind this is. they're merely using newcomers to achieve an entirely different goal
Isn't there a tv talking head who believe average to below average people should rule? Perhaps they are heeding his call? Off with the heads of IQ's over 101!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Not a damn thing. Those that want to break the cycle will do so.
I came from a school system that would be considered average to below average. In my school, you could either coast and get by, or apply yourself and find the classes that were filled with like minded people.
Why is is that schools in impoverished areas can't offer a track of classes to accommodate those who want to learn? Why the need to bus kids out of their area and bring kids in from other areas?
Considering the topic of the thread and the title of the thread are you suggesting Wake should seek a Superintendent with the skills to make the school system average to below average?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,957 times
Your statements are incorrect. Where I grew up was a working class, blue collar town. Surrounding towns school systems were superior to ours. The point was that you can still get a good education if you (and parents) are determined to succeed.

The town where we lived as adults, prior to leaving, had a school system that was vastly superior to what we have here in Wake. Of course, how could that be, since where I am from "stunk". Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post

you just said:

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-27-2010 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary