Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What you say makes sense however there are economic cycles that can challenge it. If you have a boom followed by a bust you can have a surge in couples moving in. They will tend to have children in many cases who are preschool school or not yet in upper grades. As they move through the grades they will create the demand for new school facilities. If you go into a bust mode and don't have the new housing coming in at the needed rate you can have a shortage of impact fees for schools, roads etc etc etc. It is now time to pay the piper and that is one of the great challenges facing the new board.
There has to be some model that can be used to create and manage the impact fees to account for these trends if they exist.

These are the types of issues the WCPSS administration should be discovering and advising the school board on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
There has to be some model that can be used to create and manage the impact fees to account for these trends if they exist.

These are the types of issues the WCPSS administration should be discovering and advising the school board on.
Yes under normal circumstances that function would come from staff with recommendations to the board and most importantly county commissioners and their staffs. County commissioners would have to make those fiscal decisions. However as the title of the thread suggest if the board wants a yes man they would be making the decisions for the administration to concur with. That's why there are many issues that need to be discussed that aren't. Raising the money is really a function of the county government. How to spend it the board of education
http://www.wakegov.com/budget/default.htm
The board will make their request and hopefully will have discussed with the commissioners what is possible and funding mechanisms as you suggest. With real estate values shrinking and assessments following? There is danger Will Robinson on the horizon. But that is the next wave of the local government fiscal crisis.

Last edited by TuborgP; 07-13-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
As far as the "yes man" part of the thread, to me that just reflects the opinion of the OP. It cast a negative view on the board and their selection, because he doesn't agree with them. Just my opinion on matters of that nature.

The board is looking for a super that agrees with their strategy and sentiments. It would be counterproductive to hire an administrator that would challenge the leadership's decisions. I don't think anyone would want to be put in that situation where the super is at odds with the school board regardless of politics. So removing the current one and putting one in place that reflects the new school board seems reasonable to me.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
As far as the "yes man" part of the thread, to me that just reflects the opinion of the OP. It cast a negative view on the board and their selection, because he doesn't agree with them. Just my opinion on matters of that nature.

The board is looking for a super that agrees with their strategy and sentiments. It would be counterproductive to hire an administrator that would challenge the leadership's decisions. I don't think anyone would want to be put in that situation where the super is at odds with the school board regardless of politics. So removing the current one and putting one in place that reflects the new school board seems reasonable to me.
School superintendents have very short careers with individual districts for the reasons you mention.
U.S. school chiefs see high turnover - U.S. news - Education - msnbc.com

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
The news tonight showed a public info meeting being held about the search. It looked like there were 6 people in attendance. I've seen more people waiting in line to rent a DVD from a Red Box in front of Kroger.

I guess this isn't a hot topic???

Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 AM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Nice. Nothing like a bunch of part-timers with "real" jobs elsewhere micromanaging the work of someone they hire, one assumes, with faith that person can get the job done.
Isn't that what Meeker is doing? A part-time mayor trying to manage an elected board. Or is he just using his position to promote his wife's agenda?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM

49 posts, read 146,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Is there any connection between what you suggest and members of the board of education or their strong supporters both financial and other? It is a nice sounding conspiracy but is there any connection that should really raise the red flag?
Yes there are. If you didn’t know, the Wake County Schools BOE chairman Ron Margiotta serves on the board of Thale’s Academy, a private school in Apex owned Bob Luddy. Bob Luddy also was the largest donor to the ruling 5 in the latest elections. In an interview with the N&O, Luddy said the survival of traditional public schools should be up to parents. "It should be parental choice, and that could come in a number of forms," he said. "Charter schools have overall worked very well. I favor the tax credit - a credit whether the person pays taxes or not." All this came from the local news.

I’m not trying to start a debate on the merits of a vouchers or private schools but I will say this. I don’t know how the head of Wake County School BOE can serve on the board of a private school and that not be a conflict of interest. The board chairman should be the public schools systems biggest advocate and biggest supporter.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The news tonight showed a public info meeting being held about the search. It looked like there were 6 people in attendance. I've seen more people waiting in line to rent a DVD from a Red Box in front of Kroger.

I guess this isn't a hot topic???
Most people grumble about these things, but don't do much else- most people don't vote, don't participate in forums such as these... don't write letters to the editor.

After the decision is made you will probably hear some strong opinions!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorj7034 View Post
I don’t know how the head of Wake County School BOE can serve on the board of a private school and that not be a conflict of interest. The board chairman should be the public schools systems biggest advocate and biggest supporter.
I totally agree! There are other conflicts with other board members; I addressed them in previous post when we first starting talking about the new board, i.e. our law requires they receive annual training and must pay for it themselves. It is available locally at no charge but it seems that Civitas Institute was selected to provide the annual board training to the school board. Civitas is a John Pope organization, Pope and Luddy backed the board marionettes http://www.jwpcivitasinstitute.org/
Here is info on their leadership http://www.jwpcivitasinstitute.org/about You might recognize the name Bob Luebeke, he was a staff writer for Reagan and Bush Sr. He has a PhD in Higher Education & Public Policy and is Sr Policy Analyst for the institute. I wonder if he's a candidate for the super. role?

Bob Luddy is on the board of Civitas. Here's a link from the N&O about some of this and more. The Progressive Pulse – Connect the right-wing dots There is so much graft and cronyism going on with this bunch. When you read about it you think you are reading a chapter of Alice in Wonderland! It's hard to know which way is up and who to believe.

It's a sad state of affairs. By the way, the new neighborhood plan is working well My grandson is being moved from his neighborhood school of Reedy Creek (Cary) to Davis Drive, double the driving distance! My daughter asked if he could stay at Reedy for his last yr in MS, they said maybe, but you provide the transportation! My daughter is a student and works...it's not possible.

Their motto should be "We believe in neighborhood schools, as long as you provide the ride!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary