Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:46 PM

82 posts, read 147,911 times

Advertisements

Try Idaho or Utah, I hear they are pretty "element" free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:59 PM

334 posts, read 867,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelscubachick View Post
Try Idaho or Utah, I hear they are pretty "element" free!
See what I mean?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
This board/forum is very PC. If you're not 'embracing diversity' every waking hour then there's supposed to be something wrong with you.
I don't think it is that. But some may think there is something wrong with you if you judge an entire town/city made up of 100's of thousands of people based on your experience at one gas station and pizza joint. A tad silly no?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM

223 posts, read 577,162 times
Default Trying not to stick my foot in my mouth...

I guess everyone has their own point of reference.

I am caucasian, and while I have not lived in Cary very long (5 years), I have never experienced any sort of "discomfort" while out-and-about.

Normally, Cary is accused of being too "Stepford-like."

Perhaps the "element" that you speak of is socio-economic rather than race?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writemrsc View Post
Interesting responses for the most part. Yes, felt extremely uncomfortable - as though the person at the register had a major issue with the person buying gas. My biggest concern is the air of negativity felt in both the gas station and the pizza place. It seemed to me that there is a huge problem with race/social status conflicts, and it was pretty thick. Whether a white person is in a mainly black neighborhood, or vice versa, or a person with money walks into an area that is experiencing economic hardship - seemed that the attitude was negative versus more of a "love thy neighbor" mentality.

I am originally from NE, moved to Texas about 8 years ago, and we are excited to get back to the coast. However, the experience, again, was that of a bad element.

Apologies if anyone was upset with the reference - but the responses make me feel that my assumptions are accurate. Just hoping this isn't an issue throughout NC, and we'll find a good, unbiased place to settle.
I'm not certain I completely understand your post - please correct me if I'm wrong. It appears from your above post, that you are upset about a gas/store clerk being negative toward someone of a specific race and are concerned this may be a prevalent theme in Cary. I have not encountered anything like this in the 3.5 years we've lived here. I find Cary to be a very accepting place and also a very easy place to live.You cannot judge a town with a population of 135K by one encounter at a gas station.

You mentioned that you're from NE, and I've assuming you mean New England, NOT Nebraska since you mentioned being glad to be closer to the coast. As a fellow New Englander, I think you'll find the entire Triangle to be prettly liberal and accepting of all people. Chapel Hill is definitely the most liberal.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:47 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,895 times
I've never felt that sort of vibe at all in Cary. In any event, I don't think chapel hill is the answer if you did feel that way in Cary? I feel like people are generally quite friendly and welcoming here.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,621 times
I'm a little baffled. It sounds to me like the OP was referring to a person of color being rude to a white person??? that is how I interpreted it.

So perhaps the OP was thinking Chapel Hill would be more overall white?

There are parts of Cary that are very very white and parts that are much more diverse. I can see how they could have ended up in a diverse part of town and been surprised at maybe not receiving a warm welcome. I agree with those who said it isn't representative of the entire town and probably not a good reason to ditch Cary altogether.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
lol, so you encountered a gas station clerk having a bad attitude day and that means the town of Cary doesn't like "your type"? I am so utterly confused by this post hahaha.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM

334 posts, read 867,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I've never felt that sort of vibe at all in Cary. In any event, I don't think chapel hill is the answer if you did feel that way in Cary? I feel like people are generally quite friendly and welcoming here.
Especially if you're comparing Cary to the NE US.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
This thread is totally bizarre. Cary is utterly harmless. I'm afraid the OP would freak out near any of our larger universities. Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary