Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
It's like we transplants are moustache-twirling villains, laughing maniacally as we set out to give North Carolina a bad name.
Well I don't know about you, but I dastardly twirl my mustache every chance I get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 AM

387 posts, read 1,046,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Well I don't know about you, but I dastardly twirl my mustache every chance I get!
Oh, and don't forget the chin rubbing and the evil mwhuhahahaha laugh

As for the original poster, if you want to avoid "elements", you'll need to move into a super expensive neighborhood (try Weston), send your kids to a super expensive private school (try Cary Academy), and ask your neighbors/other parents at the school which country club to join and which church to go to. You may need to hire help to do the shopping, cleaning, and gardening, but non-elemental help will cost you more.

I say that tongue in cheek of course. In reality, most of this area is incredibly diverse, and it is possible to sort of isolate yourself and only expose yourself and your children to people just like yourself, but you would be living in a bubble, and IMO, cheating your children out of valuable experiences in getting along with all types of people.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
This thread is sassy!

Makes me want to check out the beautiful area even more knowing the great characters that inhabit it.

Y'all seem like a lot of fun.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
This thread is sassy!

Makes me want to check out the beautiful area even more knowing the great characters that inhabit it.

Y'all seem like a lot of fun.
Oh.....

So you are THAT kind of element....

Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
Thank you.

This compares Chapel Hill to NC. It would be nice to compare side by side to other Triangle cities.

For race based only diversity, Durham is head and shoulders above the rest, then Raleigh. Then Garner, Morrisville and Fuquay.
Wow, Fuquay is more racially diverse than Cary? Interesting. Are we going purely black white or all races blended in?
When you say Durham is head and shoulders above the rest, what do you attribute that to? The hospitals? Duke? Socio-economic programs?
This is a very interesting thread. I think the OP might be onto something with posting such ambiguous info, and causing us all to really interact.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Yeah I'm not sure where TVFL is pulling that from. I doubt it's from the most recent Census data.

Here's a fun interactive demographic map you can play around with: 2010 Census Interactive Population Map

Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM

109 posts, read 105,713 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure where TVFL is pulling that from. I doubt it's from the most recent Census data.

Here's a fun interactive demographic map you can play around with: 2010 Census Interactive Population Map
I'm using the info provided on the City Data page.

I'm using lower percentage of white, along with more of other ethnicities as being more racially diverse. More white being less racially diverse. Of course as I said, diversity involves more than just race.

I'm trying to provide the most detail for the OP, but honestly I don't know if they want more diversity or if they are trying to hide from it.

It sure would be a whole lot easier if the OP would say specifically what happened.

Did someone get called the N word or the H word? Just tell us already. How can we help you if you keep being vague?

Old 11-15-2011, 12:27 PM

81 posts, read 138,023 times
Love this thread. We've been in Chapel Hill for more than a year and have been very comfortable. Conservatives are allowed to shop at Whole Foods. The area is more diverse than I had expected. No one bats an eyelid at us..an Indian family. I have heard some blatant anti big corporation sentiment at some stores but when I said my money is earned from a big bad corporation,they were still happy to take it. Racism exist everywhere..sadly! Wish I could raise my kids in a place free from it.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Some interesting numbers from the Census map.

Population percentage that does not self-identify as white:
Raleigh: 42%
Durham: 58%
Chapel Hill: 27%
Wake Forest: 23%
Cary: 27%
Apex: 20%
Hillsborough: 37%
Carrboro: 29%
Fuquay-Varina: 28%
Holly Springs: 20%
Knightdale: 50%
Garner: 42%

I would have never guessed Garner or Knightdale to be that high!

Population percentage that self-identify as hispanic or Latino:
Raleigh: 11%
Durham: 14%
Chapel Hill: 6%
Wake Forest: 5%
Cary: 8%
Apex: 7%
Hillsborough: 7%
Carrboro: 14%
Fuquay-Varina: 10%
Holly Springs: 6%
Knightdale: 11%
Garner: 9%

And now you know and knowing is half the battle

Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,190 times
Quote:
Some interesting numbers from the Census map.

Population percentage that does not self-identify as white:
Raleigh: 42%
Durham: 58%
Chapel Hill: 27%
Wake Forest: 23%
Cary: 27%
Apex: 20%
Hillsborough: 37%
Carrboro: 29%
Fuquay-Varina: 28%
Holly Springs: 20%
Knightdale: 50%
Garner: 42%

I would have never guessed Garner or Knightdale to be that high!

Population percentage that self-identify as hispanic or Latino:
Raleigh: 11%
Durham: 14%
Chapel Hill: 6%
Wake Forest: 5%
Cary: 8%
Apex: 7%
Hillsborough: 7%
Carrboro: 14%
Fuquay-Varina: 10%
Holly Springs: 6%
Knightdale: 11%
Garner: 9%

And now you know and knowing is half the battle
Wow, what I do see is an area way more diverse than where I live now. Off to load the U-Haul! See y'all soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary