Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 AM

7 posts, read 13,453 times

Advertisements

Chapel hill is a great place to raise your kids. excellent schools... Small town feel with big town amenities... great schools and the homes range from 299(for a huge town home) to millions... It is absolutely beautiful!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-15-2011 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Please review the Terms of Service -- new members may NOT make recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 AM

387 posts, read 1,046,137 times
I love Chapel Hill as well. Went to college and grad school there and it is lovely. If only we could live there...but DH works off Capital Blvd. so the commute would not be lovely.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:24 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
Because it is not. Look at the data sources, including City Data. It is what it is. Chapel Hill is very very white, disproportionately higher income and disproportionately liberal. That is not exactly diverse, not that there is anything wrong with that. It just is what it is. You will find more diversity in almost every other place in the Triangle area.
I did what you and look it up on City Data:

chapel Hill is 74% white, 10% black, 10% asian.
apex 75% white 8% black, 7% asian
cary 72% white 6% black, 11% asian

That pretty much refutes your statement.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:40 AM

109 posts, read 105,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I did what you and look it up on City Data:

chapel Hill is 74% white, 10% black, 10% asian.
apex 75% white 8% black, 7% asian
cary 72% white 6% black, 11% asian

That pretty much refutes your statement.
No it does not. I used three metrics. Race, income and social leanings. You replied with race based only and chose two of the whitest towns around, ignoring all the others including Durham and Raleigh.

Diversity is about more than just race alone.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
Because it is not. Look at the data sources, including City Data. It is what it is. Chapel Hill is very very white, disproportionately higher income and disproportionately liberal. That is not exactly diverse, not that there is anything wrong with that. It just is what it is. You will find more diversity in almost every other place in the Triangle area.
For those interested, here's the Census Bureau's Quick Facts comparing Chapel Hill to the state of North Carolina:

Chapel Hill (town) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 AM

222 posts, read 550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If that's what you saw? It's not commonplace in Cary. Or anywhere else in the Triangle. That you got a negative vibe in both places you visited suggests to me that you either hit the bad vibe jackpot OR simply put? You were looking for signs of trouble.

Personally? I don't mind Cary getting passed over. We get a disproportionate share of relocaters already.

Just don't think this place is commonly like that. It's not. In fact? It's made up mostly of transplants in the first place. If you see racism around here, it's not necessarily native North Carolinians you're looking at.
I really get tired of this "blame the transplants" theme that I see on these North Carolina forums. Whenever someone comes along who isn't happy with North Carolina, it's either their fault, or it's the fault of those dastardly transplants. It's like we transplants are moustache-twirling villains, laughing maniacally as we set out to give North Carolina a bad name.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 AM

109 posts, read 105,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
For those interested, here's the Census Bureau's Quick Facts comparing Chapel Hill to the state of North Carolina:

Chapel Hill (town) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Thank you.

This compares Chapel Hill to NC. It would be nice to compare side by side to other Triangle cities.

For race based only diversity, Durham is head and shoulders above the rest, then Raleigh. Then Garner, Morrisville and Fuquay.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 AM

502 posts, read 1,252,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
In my cul de sac there are Hispanic families, black families, Asian families, white families, and a good number of mixed race families. I've never seen a racial altercation in Cary. And I'm a native of the area. Hence my utter bewilderment at your experience.
Yes, and those "elements" very likely have PhD's, or in the least MBA or MS degrees.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDJ View Post
Just imagine if the OP had stepped into the wrong "element" of Durham.
Or Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Garner, or any other municipality in the United States, right?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Again, folks -- helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary