Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
Looks like it's a not-for-profit board driving the overall vision, and they hired a professional company to manage operations...
Still doesn't say what their angle is. Even Franklin Academy is technically a 'not for profit'..

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM

48 posts, read 128,769 times
Yes the board of directors all live in Wake County and yes the professional company Charter Schools USA was hired to manage some aspects. They have opened 2 schools in the Charlotte area. 58 schools in 7 states I believe. The class size is about 20 in k, 23 in first and second, and that is all I remember honestly. No transportation provided. Hours 8-2:45 k-2 and 8-3 for grades 3-8.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,989 times
Thank you for the information.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Still doesn't say what their angle is. Even Franklin Academy is technically a 'not for profit'..
Why do they need to have an angle?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:13 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
This is one of the problems with large corporations like this one getting into the business of education. My husband just filled out an application for a job at the school. Once the application was completed he was asked several dozen personal questions about whether he had received food stamps, been on unemployment, was a veteran, had a disability, was an ethnic minority, etc., etc., etc. Hiring decisions at this school will not be made based on the most qualified candidates. They will be made based on which candidates will get the corporation the most government kickbacks. I can't even understand how it is legal to ask all those personal questions in a job application.
I was in the process of applying for jobs last year and was asked all of these questions, I believe the applications made it clear that they weren't actually part of the app. It has something to do with info gathering but I really don't remember why/what the purpose was. I do believe you are right, has something to do with govt reimbursements or something. But it may be standard fare these days.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I was in the process of applying for jobs last year and was asked all of these questions, I believe the applications made it clear that they weren't actually part of the app. It has something to do with info gathering but I really don't remember why/what the purpose was. I do believe you are right, has something to do with govt reimbursements or something. But it may be standard fare these days.
It's not standard fare in private schools. I just think it's wrong. It gives them information that makes the hiring committee less objective when determining the hire if they actually receive funds for certain candidates. It compromises the education as far as I'm concerned. Public schools, even charters, have enough hurdles to jump through that compromise the education as it is. This is just another layer.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
It's not standard fare in private schools. I just think it's wrong. It gives them information that makes the hiring committee less objective when determining the hire if they actually receive funds for certain candidates. It compromises the education as far as I'm concerned. Public schools, even charters, have enough hurdles to jump through that compromise the education as it is. This is just another layer.
Actually I can't remember if I had to answer these questions during the application process or once I had the job

Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Actually I can't remember if I had to answer these questions during the application process or once I had the job
They usually ask those AFTER people are hired.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
They usually ask those AFTER people are hired.
Right, that is perfectly reasonable. This was definitely part of the application process. I don't know if it has changed across the board or if it's just this particular charter that is doing it as part of the process. My gut tells me that because a national corporation is managing it they are going to use every avenue they have to increase profit and so it was purposeful. Also, the application process was through their national website, so it would be the same for all of their schools but not necessarily for all charter schools. Corporations run our food supply, our government and now our schools. Oh, and our medical care. Nice.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM

75 posts, read 173,321 times
The lottery results are out for this school. I had put in an application for my DD who is starting KG this year and she made it in the lottery. Now comes the hard part of making a decision. Our elementary is capped so any chances of returning next year if things don't work out are slim. Need to decide if 25 min drive to charter will be worth it over a 2 min drive to elementary.

As it is a new school, there is no data. There are also no information sessions scheduled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary