Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
What about spreading salt or sand? Do they do that? I realize you can't plow this, it is so little but salting and sanding would help vs having so many businesses shut down for days.
Doesn't seem like they do that around here. I saw a salt truck on the news that belonged to the town of Cary, but it doesn't appear to be SOP in general. More like "God put it there, God will take it away."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 AM

430 posts, read 626,848 times
Our neighborhood's roads are filled with kids sledding right down the middle of the ice covered streets, so I wouldn't be going anywhere even if I had a snowcat. Looks like fun, wish I was young enough to join them.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 AM

430 posts, read 626,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
What about spreading salt or sand? Do they do that? I realize you can't plow this, it is so little but salting and sanding would help vs having so many businesses shut down for days.
That's exactly what they said they'd be doing on the news. Plow, salt/sand, then plow again.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:20 AM

634 posts, read 913,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Depends on how you look at it. Yes, no significant ice related power outages. But, schools will be closed for several days, if not all week.
I've been thinking "home all week" too, if the sun doesn't break through today. It's 25 degrees here in very southern wake county.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:21 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
That's exactly what they said they'd be doing on the news. Plow, salt/sand, then plow again.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 AM

223 posts, read 315,228 times
I'm so happy it finally at least kind of resembles winter when I look out my window. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I also enjoy how peaceful it feels knowing that practically nobody is on the road.

I know it's probably legitimately dangerous due to the icy road conditions, but as someone from the snow belt, I have to get a good chuckle out of this. They showed a photo on the news of some woman's car in Durham, and she wrote "2015" on the windshield (of course, to mark this historic occasion, lol) and the news anchor said, "The woman who took this photo said that she couldn't even write that on her windshield with her finger! She had to use a Sharpie marker! Wow!"

Seriously? That's every freakin' day up North. That's why we have ice scrapers.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
Well I was gonna go to work, they're open, and I called...only 2 people out of 35 from my shift are there, 1 being the supervisor lol...no shipments coming in until further notice, so looks like I'm getting a snow day after all. Glad I went in yesterday (my day off) for 6 hours so I don';t have to use my vacation time. Well except 2 hours...better than 8 tho lol. Bee safe peeps....

Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
I'm so happy it finally at least kind of resembles winter when I look out my window. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I also enjoy how peaceful it feels knowing that practically nobody is on the road.

I know it's probably legitimately dangerous due to the icy road conditions, but as someone from the snow belt, I have to get a good chuckle out of this. They showed a photo on the news of some woman's car in Durham, and she wrote "2015" on the windshield (of course, to mark this historic occasion, lol) and the news anchor said, "The woman who took this photo said that she couldn't even write that on her windshield with her finger! She had to use a Sharpie marker! Wow!"

And you don't seem to be much better at it. At least we are smart enough to stay off the roads down here.

193-vehicle pileups shut down I-94 for 2 days | WOODTV.com

See the 35-Car Pile-up on New Hampshire Interstate After Sudden Snow Squall - ABC News

Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
My neighborhood has at least 1/2 inch of snow covered in sleet on the road - totally skating on it when it melts and refreezes a little smoother (not joking)

It would actually be safer than my attempt at dog walking just now.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post

I tossed my ice scraper the day I moved south and refuse to buy one again.

I have needed one a couple of times, but used my Vic card instead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary