Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yup.
I do hope the hurricanes do well so I can go to my 1 or 2 Bruin games a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:49 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Quote:
I'm fixin' to initiate Surrender Protocol #18 and to commence to dial back my 2018 Playoff aspirations and expectations.
Ima gonna say that the road has hit a dead end.

When I say hit, I mean to say mauled, destroyed, obliterated, nuked, decimated...etc.

Looks like even Peters is willing to concede that a culture of losing has likely infected the team. Sorry Bill, but I think your time is up.

This team doesn't need a tweak - it needs an overhaul.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:57 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Bill Peters should have been dismissed after the 2016-2017 season. His time is up with a new owner in place and a new general manager coming in.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:02 AM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I went to the game last night with limited expectations.

And, was never confident, even with 11 minutes left in the 3rd period, even with a 4-1 lead.

Re-upped my season plan with my rep before the game... Sheesh.

I will give Bill Peters this point...
The refs have been letting things go, playoff style reffing, for a while now.
And, the Canes met a playoff team, demonstrating they are not playoff ready.
They quit. The playoff team didn't.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Bill Peters is a lame duck, being held onto until more coaches are fired and become available. If he's brought back for another season, the fans will revolt in mass numbers. This isn't an idiotic fanbase who will throw money at a crap team season after season. That's been proven.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:17 PM

The hurricanes are misrepresenting what was happening at the game against the Bruins. That was a Bruins crowd, loud and excited. I've gone to a lot on Bruin v Hurricane(Whaler too in the civic center) and there are always a number of Bruin fans at the game. But last night was the first time I've seen it tip over 50% against the home team.

I recorded the game to watch later and when the Bruins went up 5-4 the place rocked. But to watch it on TV you'd think there were 80 or 90 whaler fans watching the game. The TV production muted the Bruin fans for the telecast.

I think if the Hurricanes left for Quebec tomorrow there would be a peep. Maybe the Canes can hope for a lockout-shortened season again so they can fluke their way back into the playoff and actually draw some of the bandwagoners back.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
The hurricanes are misrepresenting what was happening at the game against the Bruins. That was a Bruins crowd, loud and excited. I've gone to a lot on Bruin v Hurricane(Whaler too in the civic center) and there are always a number of Bruin fans at the game. But last night was the first time I've seen it tip over 50% against the home team.

I recorded the game to watch later and when the Bruins went up 5-4 the place rocked. But to watch it on TV you'd think there were 80 or 90 whaler fans watching the game. The TV production muted the Bruin fans for the telecast.

I think if the Hurricanes left for Quebec tomorrow there would be a peep. Maybe the Canes can hope for a lockout-shortened season again so they can fluke their way back into the playoff and actually draw some of the bandwagoners back.
The game they played was extreme, but too recognizable over the last few years. And, it was exactly the opposite of what any team needs to do to draw in fans. With 7500 STM sales, the Canes have a core of fans that can be expanded, just like in other cities where poor product fails to draw $$$.

Tom Dundon is all about "fan experience."
"Winning" and "Consistent Effort" unquestionably comprise the absolute #1 "fan experience." A kick in the stomach like that game will never put fans in the seats.

When he puts a better product on the ice, he can raise ticket and parking prices and shut down beer sales.
It doesn't need to be a Stanley Cup winner every year. Just a team that plays 60 minutes and rewards local hockey fans for their interest.

I think it is more likely to see the Ottawa Sens move to Quebec than the Canes...

Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Well, Dundon has 7 years to plan a move if that's his desire. But it can't happen for 7 years, so it's a moot point right now. Want butts in seats? Build a competitive team. Simple.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The game they played was extreme, but too recognizable over the last few years. And, it was exactly the opposite of what any team needs to do to draw in fans. With 7500 STM sales, the Canes have a core of fans that can be expanded, just like in other cities where poor product fails to draw $$$.

Tom Dundon is all about "fan experience."
"Winning" and "Consistent Effort" unquestionably comprise the absolute #1 "fan experience." A kick in the stomach like that game will never put fans in the seats.

When he puts a better product on the ice, he can raise ticket and parking prices and shut down beer sales.
It doesn't need to be a Stanley Cup winner every year. Just a team that plays 60 minutes and rewards local hockey fans for their interest.

I think it is more likely to see the Ottawa Sens move to Quebec than the Canes...
What do you mean about shutdown beer sales? I didn't see the sloppiness I've seen at other buildings.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
What do you mean about shutdown beer sales? I didn't see the sloppiness I've seen at other buildings.

No, I have seen very little drunken disruption. A couple of times, but the PNC people are on it like wolves.

That was just an off the cuff reference to revenue, not actually stopping beer sales. I could have said shut down ice cream sales.
Although, stopping beer sales wouldn't faze me a bit. I'm not a tee totaller, either.

The $5.00 beers on cheap tix nights led to groups of people with no interest in the game who got up and down multiple times during play to fetch beer.
Wife and friends and I missed seeing 3 goals in two games in a row last month, because beer fans had no consideration for hockey fans, and wouldn't stay in their seats.
I would just as soon have 13,000 hockey fans at the games, as 7,000 fans and 7,000 beer drinkers.

Tuesday night, I did have the folks behind us spill a 16 oz. beer that ran out under my feet, and got my friends bag on the floor wet.
Not rowdy. But sloppy. And when they mopped it up, the stale beer stink coming out of the mop did not enhance my "Fan Experience."

I actually suggested to Tom Dundon that they designate a couple of Family Sections, with no beer allowed.
I think it would be a go.

And, another thing...
No one should be able to enter the stairs to their seats with less than a minute to go in any period.
The ones who run out with 3 minutes left to beat the lines, should wait for period end to re-enter. I hate missing goals when they are coming down the stairs leisurely carrying two beers and a box of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary