Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:31 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
So lets categorize Cary, NC as a racist town based on one encounter with a mentally challenged individual.
It's a shame the majority of minorities don't chime in and set the record straight. I'm sure there are incidents here and there but probably no more than other races have encountered when in a predominately black area. I know I have been over the years.

I don't think these racist posts should be allowed. You will NEVER convince another poster on this social board to change their mindset. It only inflames and accomplishes nothing but hate.
I’m in no way trying to categorize Cary as a racist town.

What I am doing is shining a light on an incidence of racism experienced within my family here in Cary. Often, including on this thread, accounts of racism are dismissed as simply “that didn’t happen”. Racist incidences happen in Cary: in neighborhoods, in stores, in schools. It’s not acceptable, and the stories deserve acknowledgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 PM

465 posts, read 699,779 times
Cary is not as diverse as Raleigh, but compared to the suburbs where I used to live (88 and 82% Caucasian, respectively), it's darn near a melting pot.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 PM

185 posts, read 127,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Cary is not as diverse as Raleigh, but compared to the suburbs where I used to live (88 and 82% Caucasian, respectively), it's darn near a melting pot.
If there was not a large East Indian migration to this area in the last 15-20 years due to our tech industry, Cary would have about the same diversity as the places you use to live. In the 80s and 90s, Cary was not very diverse by any metrics. But, even today I wouldn't label Cary as a diverse town.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times
RE: the demographics info. Seems that there is also a large percentage who don't believe in logic, reason or statistics - as well as a shocking number of mind-readers. Must be nice going around being sure of what everyone else is thinking and knowing without a doubt the exact explanation for all of their actions and behaviors. Funny how people get upset if someone makes a claim or assumption about them based on personal bias, but somehow they feel perfectly OK doing it to everyone else. This is a sad commentary on society.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:17 AM

85 posts, read 123,808 times
Boy did everyone on this thread fell hook-line and sinker for the OP. Notice said infuriated person never responded again? I think this was just to stir the 'sheetz' pot. Also there are at least 6 starbucks in Cary not counting the ones in grocery stores....So which one? Also I live in West Cary. West Cary is pretty diverse to me and I like it!

Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddicorcia1 View Post
Also there are at least 6 starbucks in Cary not counting the ones in grocery stores....So which one?
Subject lines notes it is the new one in Millpond Village (intersection of Ten Ten / Kildaire Farm)

Old 06-20-2019, 06:07 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post

What I am doing is shining a light on an incidence of racism experienced within my family here in Cary. Often, including on this thread, accounts of racism are dismissed as simply “that didn’t happen”. Racist incidences happen in Cary: in neighborhoods, in stores, in schools. It’s not acceptable, and the stories deserve acknowledgement.
you told us about a crazy or mentally-disturbed person.

I felt horrible, that an apparently rational-appearing person would have dared felt and verbalized "go back from where you came". But then you told us he was "crazy" or whatever term for mentally-ill you like to use.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:23 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you told us about a crazy or mentally-disturbed person.

I felt horrible, that an apparently rational-appearing person would have dared felt and verbalized "go back from where you came". But then you told us he was "crazy" or whatever term for mentally-ill you like to use.

I put “crazy” in quotes for a reason. That’s the word the person who knows him used to explain his actions.

Regardless of whether he’s mentally ill or not (I have no idea), he hasn’t yelled at or filmed any of the white neighbors.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post

Let's get to the gist of the problem.

1) With what happened to you, what do you think the perpetrator the racism was thinking in their heads?

2) Was it hateful malice? Was it a preconceived assumption cast too quickly before you had a chance to show who you are as a person?

3) Was is a stereo type cast upon you from the media, the news, previous occurences?

The reason I ask all of that is because a lot of what is labeled as racism I don't think has the mean, hateful intent behind it. The perpetrator could be miserably unhappy, a jerk who has to resort to bashing others to lift himself up.

Regardless, ANYONE ACTIVELY PARTICIPATING IN SUPREMICIST ORGANIZATIONS IS THE SCAREDEST, MOST THREATENED coward in all of society. Laugh at them, pity them, but worry about them.

And just regular folks who resort to using race as a weapon or crutch to make themselves feel better is also an unhappy, pathetic loser that isn't worth your attention.

And finally, I just don't know what people are supposed to do with the instance report you shared.

Human nature already has us forming opinions subconsciously that's out of our control and comes from life's experiences up until the present.

Just like with my group, the LGBT community that continues ambushing people to support equality after we recently got the right to marry, and doesn't know when to pause for a while....

Race and racism are such frequently heard accusations every day it seems that, in my opinion, overuse of the terms could hurt rather than help the effort to end it forever.

Just my opinion, as a white, gay man who is 50 years young.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,171 times
Default Actual Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldj3 View Post
My son - Age 26. Brown skin, black hair –long with beard , born here, American, bleeds red white and blue, Ivy league graduate, goes to UNC Medical School, visiting home for a week. Sitting in Starbucks enjoying his coffee and working on laptop.

Two Cary police officers are called to investigate this alien looking creature in an all white clientele of Starbucks by someone who is obviously uneducated, ignorant, racist. Equally the police officers are aggressive with presumption of guilt (How can a brown looking person dare sit in Starbucks in Cary), asked for ID and why he was there. After checking the ID they left him alone as he showed them his home is less than 1 mile away.

We should all look in the mirror and introspect what kind of society are we becoming ? The people who silently witnessed this did not speak up and shrugged it off. Remember when they get a health care scare of sickness or accident, my son would be the one of those making life and death decisions as a doctor.

Me, my family, and friends will totally boycott Starbucks from now on and will spread the word. They just lost $10,000/year revenue from 1 family forever.
To set the record straight... he was questioned because he was outside circling the store acting in a bizarre manner, doing some sort of dance, kneeling on his knees in the bushes, and creating a scene. .. I happened to be visiting the store as this was happening. Although I do believe that it was a little much for someone to have called the police on him... I do want to set the record straight that this WAS NOT an act of racism. The store manager came out after finding out what happened and apologized to him profusely and said he was ALWAYS welcome in that store.
The problem with society is that people always want to play the race card when in reality, it has nothing to do with that. If you don’t want to get the police called on you, don’t go circling the store doing some weird dance, and kneeling down in the bushes, ESPECIALLY if you think we live in a sensitive racial climate.
Don’t blame a company for your sons actions.
Next time you tell stories, get your facts straight on what your son was ACTUALLY doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary