Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 06:14 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
The original Imperial College of London death forecasts (March 2020) were 2.2M dead in US by Aug 2020.
I am talking about the US and the worst case numbers that were cited if we did not "flatten the curve". We met them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 07:05 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,756,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I am talking about the US and the worst case numbers that were cited if we did not "flatten the curve". We met them.

So the WCPSS board votes 8-1 for in-person learning and Dr. Jim Martin was the only "NO" vote. This doesn't surprise me.

As a doctorate level person, he is the worst person to review scientific articles. He has no understanding of any of the science. He needs to be voted OUT. And people need to make noise that he is the worst board member also.

Again, can't believe a PhD board member is this incompetent. Again, I'm not saying that because he is the only one that voted NO, but I have personal emails back and forth and his understanding of science is SKEWED.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:16 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
So the WCPSS board votes 8-1 for in-person learning and Dr. Jim Martin was the only "NO" vote. This doesn't surprise me.

As a doctorate level person, he is the worst person to review scientific articles. He has no understanding of any of the science. He needs to be voted OUT. And people need to make noise that he is the worst board member also.

Again, can't believe a PhD board member is this incompetent. Again, I'm not saying that because he is the only one that voted NO, but I have personal emails back and forth and his understanding of science is SKEWED.

Martin has a god complex and believes he is always RIGHT no matter what. Don't believe me? Read his reviews as a professor at State. Want him voted out? Work a little harder in two years to get someone to run against him, or mobilize the vote for whoever does. He only mustered a write in opponent this year and she was trounced. I'm SO tired of hearing people complain about their BOE candidate this year when the ENTIRE slate was up for re-election 3 months ago and they all won save for Bill Fletcher who was sounded defeated.

I'm sure he's also leading the charge at State for remote learning....a college that has testing once a week with a 48 hour turnaround time....so you find out you're positive 2 days after you've interacted with plenty of people.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:31 PM

1,228 posts, read 798,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
That is completely b.s. and off by three fold, from somebody who’s job it is to scientifically study and forecast things in healthcare. This is by no means a worst case scenario. We’re trending mid-low from initial epidemiological forecasts on morbidity given non-adherence to most advice. It’s obviously still a concern, but the histrionics from some “stay at homers†and the NCAE are beyond ridiculous. And “six feet†isn’t rooted in “science†as an absolute must, especially when masked—it’s a general guideline, get your supposed facts straight. CDC and other international guidelines tell you that. Especially for younger kids. Mandy Cohen says the same. My wife (scientist and HCP dealing daily with COVID) say the same. Reasonable scientists and health care professionals with kids in school. WCPSS ignored that by only allowing grades 4-5 to go back in three week rotations. Jim Martin is not some esteemed virologist and scientist. He is a pandering, mediocre Chemistry teacher. Many kids need to be back in school, and masked up and reasonably distanced (3-6 ft), they are completely fine. We need to worry more about some of the dumb***** adults that think it is fine to wear a mask at work, but party with friends and family+, other times—looking at you hypocritical NCAE teachers...

Old 02-02-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
That is completely b.s. and off by three fold, from somebody who’s job it is to scientifically study and forecast things in healthcare. This is by no means a worst case scenario. We’re trending mid-low from initial epidemiological forecasts on morbidity given non-adherence to most advice. It’s obviously still a concern, but the histrionics from some “stay at homers†and the NCAE are beyond ridiculous. And “six feet†isn’t rooted in “science†as an absolute must, especially when masked—it’s a general guideline, get your supposed facts straight. CDC and other international guidelines tell you that. Especially for younger kids. Mandy Cohen says the same. My wife (scientist and HCP dealing daily with COVID) say the same. Reasonable scientists and health care professionals with kids in school. WCPSS ignored that by only allowing grades 4-5 to go back in three week rotations. Jim Martin is not some esteemed virologist and scientist. He is a pandering, mediocre Chemistry teacher. Many kids need to be back in school, and masked up and reasonably distanced (3-6 ft), they are completely fine. We need to worry more about some of the dumb***** adults that think it is fine to wear a mask at work, but party with friends and family+, other times—looking at you hypocritical NCAE teachers...
Preach.

Let's add...

Most teachers are teaching from school....maskless...eating lunch together (often OUT) and where do you think they're catching COVID??? NO HIGH SCHOOL has been in session this year and HS teachers are still reporting cases of COVID. C'mon now, let's use our noggins.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:05 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
As my mom says, they're a day late and a dollar short. It's February already, and now they're suddenly urging (but not mandating) that schools open for all students as if this is the first time they realized we could and should do this. Like experts haven't been saying this for months and months. As if the "schools should be the last to close and first to reopen" isn't something that's already been said twenty times over. Where was this urgency before, and why not mandate reopening where it's safe to do so?

And Mandy Cohen trying to spin Plan B as being basically the same thing as Plan A was just so out of touch. She actually said "there's very minimal difference between A and B. It's really just about in the social distancing piece" and "Plan B doesn't automatically mean less days in the classroom. It does mean that we want to maintain 6 feet of social distance for those that are in middle and high school. I think that there are many ways in which folks can go about doing that. It doesn't necessarily mean cutting down on days" and then adding on a little footnote that possibly "certain schools" might not be able to have class every day under Plan B. How many schools are actually big enough to have kids in school every day under Plan B?

I'm glad Wake is at least doing something unlike the rest of the districts in the area who seem content to do basically nothing so far. The long term ramifications of these closures is terrifying not to mention the short term suffering.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:06 AM

Wcpss BOE is just playing both sides of the fence again. They're nervous because someone posted a list of the amount each candidate got from the NCAE PAC this past election. They realize everyone is on to their cozy little relationship.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:10 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
So tired of politics.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:43 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
Lol. The report shows that NCAE PAC gave $450 each to Bill Fletcher, Lindsay Mahaffey, Chris Heagarty and Monika Holmes and probably others. I don't know all of their names. They are hardly buying elections.

Honestly, I would like to know who is funding the Education First Alliance.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:45 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Lol. The report shows that NCAE PAC gave $450 each to Bill Fletcher, Lindsay Mahaffey, Chris Heagarty and Monika Holmes and probably others. I don't know all of their names. They are hardly buying elections.
It's more about who they gave to, not the amount. A teacher's association shouldn't have political affiliation, because politics don't dictate what is best for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary