Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2023, 11:25 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

1997-1999 New Haven Beast
1999-2001 Cincinnati Cyclones (IHL)
2001-2006 Lowell Lock Monsters
2006-2010 Albany River Rats
2010-2020 Charlotte Checkers
2020-2023 Chicago Wolves

That's a lot of churn.

The Charlotte relationship seemed to work well... until it didn't. I don't believe the full story of the divorce has ever been made public. Chicago did offer the Canes more money than Charlotte, but I doubt it was a deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 06:50 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Always thought Pringles would have been a natural sponsor for Dorton Arena.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This would be very cool.

https://www.caneshomeice.com/post/fr...xAMSUc_GtOWyU8

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...-blue-jackets/

"15. The NHL and AHL are trying to sort out Carolina’s affiliate issue. Following a divorce with the Chicago Wolves, the Hurricanes are sprinkling prospects around the hockey world. “It’s not a sustainable situation going forward,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said last week. “Obviously, it’s going to be the reality this year and Carolina’s going to have to deal with it. But it’s not a status quo we can allow to continue.”

In August, Carolina offered to purchase/add a 33rd franchise. The AHL’s Executive Committee met a couple times to consider it, and recommended the Hurricanes be allowed to address the full Board of Governors in October. That way, every team will understand everything there is to know. There are some adamantly against the idea of an NHL/AHL imbalance. Also: the AHL’s two most recent adds — Henderson (Las Vegas) and Coachella Valley (Seattle) had an expansion fee above $10M. Will Carolina be willing to go there?"

I predict that Tom Dundon would gladly pop $10 million+ to have some control over player development in the AHL.
Locally would be great. Great for players. Great to grow the game locally as AHL play would be readily accessible and more affordable for families.
And, he bought the IceCaps named.

Dorton Arena?
More "Very Cool!" And, expensive renovations could be expected.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...BRYHbYpd-pJ-tg
Would the new AHL team necessarily go to Raleigh? Could it possibly also go to Greensboro and play in the Greensboro Coliseum? I've got to say that if the Canes did bring an AHL team here, I'd go to several games per year for sure.

Old 09-22-2023, 03:43 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Would the new AHL team necessarily go to Raleigh? Could it possibly also go to Greensboro and play in the Greensboro Coliseum? I've got to say that if the Canes did bring an AHL team here, I'd go to several games per year for sure.

Having them in Raleigh would be a great idea.
Affordable pro hockey that would expose more people to the game. Easier to take the family.
Great for roster moves up and down to the Canes.
Little disruption for the two way contract guys with families.

The Checkers would not have a quibble about competition like a Greensboro location might stir up.

Old 09-22-2023, 04:17 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Having them in Raleigh would be a great idea.
Affordable pro hockey that would expose more people to the game. Easier to take the family.
Great for roster moves up and down to the Canes.
Little disruption for the two way contract guys with families.

The Checkers would not have a quibble about competition like a Greensboro location might stir up.
I'm not sure a quibble with Charlotte would really be a huge factor. Greensboro Coliseum is 90+ miles from Bojangles Coliseum or nearly an hour and a half drive. Is there a formal (or informal) "rule" about how far AHL teams can be from each other?

And there are some benefits to having the AHL team just a couple miles from the NHL team. But could Raleigh support both an NHL team AND an AHL team? Or would that even really be a consideration? Greensboro on the other hand hasn't really had hockey since the Canes left their temporary home (though the Thunderbirds have done quite well in the FPHL).

I know for a while Philadelphia had both their NHL and AHL teams essentially next door to one another. They eventually moved to Allentown. Currently, Toronto is the only NHL team with its AHL affiliate in the same city (though Chicago has an NHL team and an AHL team). But it is quite common for AHL teams to be within arms reach of their NHL affiliate in a nearby (smaller) city. It makes the team/hockey more accessible to more areas (notably areas where they might not have the money/ability otherwise to go to NHL games much if at all). And being less than 90 minutes from Raleigh, it should still be pretty easy to make those roster moves as it would be a pretty easy drive.

There's pros and cons to each.... though it does sound like Raleigh is the preference for now. Richmond could make sense too if they get their arena together soon though for obvious reasons, I'd be rooting for Greensboro.

Last edited by HRVT; 09-22-2023 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-22-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I'm not sure a quibble with Charlotte would really be a huge factor. Greensboro Coliseum is 90+ miles from Bojangles Coliseum or nearly an hour and a half drive. Is there a formal (or informal) "rule" about how far AHL teams can be from each other?

And there are some benefits to having the AHL team just a couple miles from the NHL team. But could Raleigh support both an NHL team AND an AHL team? Or would that even really be a consideration? Greensboro on the other hand hasn't really had hockey since the Canes left their temporary home (though the Thunderbirds have done quite well in the FPHL).

I know for a while Philadelphia had both their NHL and AHL teams essentially next door to one another. They eventually moved to Allentown. Currently, Toronto is the only NHL team with its AHL affiliate in the same city (though Chicago has an NHL team and an AHL team). But it is quite common for AHL teams to be within arms reach of their NHL affiliate in a nearby (smaller) city. It makes the team/hockey more accessible to more areas (notably areas where they might not have the money/ability otherwise to go to NHL games much if at all). And being less than 90 minutes from Raleigh, it should still be pretty easy to make those roster moves as it would be a pretty easy drive.

There's pros and cons to each.... though it does sound like Raleigh is the preference for now. Richmond could make sense too if they get their arena together soon though for obvious reasons, I'd be rooting for Greensboro.

Even to get an AHL expansion franchise, the Canes will need approval from the leagues and there is some entrenched opposition to further expansion.
Having Charlotte onboard would only be a plus for approval.

Old 09-26-2023, 03:20 PM

Tonight's preseason Game with Tamp.
Stream it:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video...-6336966367112

Old 09-28-2023, 07:46 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Watching some of the preseason, this Felix Unger Sorum kid has great potential to be something awesome. Other players do as well but Sorum just turned 18 a couple of weeks ago.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:12 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
It would give the Canes a huge boost toward the Cup if a young player emerges who can score.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Watching some of the preseason, this Felix Unger Sorum kid has great potential to be something awesome. Other players do as well but Sorum just turned 18 a couple of weeks ago.
He's slick, but needs to put some meat on his bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
It would give the Canes a huge boost toward the Cup if a young player emerges who can score.
I'm pulling for JAYDEN HALBGEWACHS just to hear his name butchered.
He's 26 but seems to handle himself well. Definitely can find the net.

Canes are well-stocked with smaller players. Not saying everyone has to be 200# plus, but they have a lot of guys under 170 in the fold. Can they win puck battles on the boards, in the corners, and in front of the net?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary