Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2023, 02:09 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I haven't watched the games, but I'm alarmed at the sheer number of goals that the Canes are giving up... 24 GA in just 5 games. That's the worst in the league. We're supposed to have the best D in the league, even if the goaltending is mediocre. And they gave up another shortie last night. What's going on? Orlov has a -10 plus/minus.
I hope the lads find midseason form before we get to midseason.
And, we need Aho and Svech's defense. And, their scoring, too, to take some pressure off and keep the other teams a bit more on their toes.

We've given up several empty net goals.
Unfortunately for Orlov, he has been on the ice for them. Inflates the +/- numbers.

Orlov is tasked with carrying Deangelo. Yet, Orlov is new to the system and D-Men often struggle when they first come to Raleigh. Add on a defensive pylon to carry, and he is bound to have even a harder go of it.
Chatfield would be a better pairing. TDA for PP QB should be his designation.

But... Skjei and Pesce seem to really be struggling. Too many opposition players getting past them and having wide open opportunities against our goalies.
Goalie can only stop so many breakaways and odd man rushes. It has been an issue in the past, giving up high danger chances. This year, it started right from the get-go.

Raanta seems tentative. He has had a couple of bad bounces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 04:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I hope the lads find midseason form before we get to midseason.
And, we need Aho and Svech's defense. And, their scoring, too, to take some pressure off and keep the other teams a bit more on their toes.

We've given up several empty net goals.
Unfortunately for Orlov, he has been on the ice for them. Inflates the +/- numbers.

Orlov is tasked with carrying Deangelo. Yet, Orlov is new to the system and D-Men often struggle when they first come to Raleigh. Add on a defensive pylon to carry, and he is bound to have even a harder go of it.
Chatfield would be a better pairing. TDA for PP QB should be his designation.

But... Skjei and Pesce seem to really be struggling. Too many opposition players getting past them and having wide open opportunities against our goalies.
Goalie can only stop so many breakaways and odd man rushes. It has been an issue in the past, giving up high danger chances. This year, it started right from the get-go.

Raanta seems tentative. He has had a couple of bad bounces.
How many empty net goals have we given up? We've only lost two games. Even at 2 goals each, that's 4 goals which somewhat inflates things, but doesn't fully explain the horrific numbers.

As a team, our save percentage is .843%. I know it's only five games but that number is absolutely horrific. Even if this team played merely average defense (which would obviously be highly disappointing for a team that is constructed to be one of the best, if not THE best defense in the league), average goaltending should have us closer to 90% or so. The good news is that PK is back up and even if he plays at old form (.880-.890%), that would (sadly) be a HUGE improvement from what we've gotten out of FA/AR. But obviously, it isn't all on the goaltenders.... the defense needs to step up.

Not to blame scheduling or anything though, but a random observation but man did we get hit with a bunch of road games early. Starting off with 6 of our first 7 on the road and 11 out of 15 on the road is a BRUTAL start. The good news though is that we'll obviously get a long stretch of mostly home games later in the year (though we close with the final four games on the road too).

Old 10-20-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
How many empty net goals have we given up? We've only lost two games. Even at 2 goals each, that's 4 goals which somewhat inflates things, but doesn't fully explain the horrific numbers.

As a team, our save percentage is .843%. I know it's only five games but that number is absolutely horrific. Even if this team played merely average defense (which would obviously be highly disappointing for a team that is constructed to be one of the best, if not THE best defense in the league), average goaltending should have us closer to 90% or so. The good news is that PK is back up and even if he plays at old form (.880-.890%), that would (sadly) be a HUGE improvement from what we've gotten out of FA/AR. But obviously, it isn't all on the goaltenders.... the defense needs to step up.

Not to blame scheduling or anything though, but a random observation but man did we get hit with a bunch of road games early. Starting off with 6 of our first 7 on the road and 11 out of 15 on the road is a BRUTAL start. The good news though is that we'll obviously get a long stretch of mostly home games later in the year (though we close with the final four games on the road too).

Pyotr is at .882.
Yeah. The other guys' numbers are abysmal and far lower than Freddy and Raanta typically have turned in for their careers. A few good games for any of them, and their stats will improve nicely.
I am more concerned with the defense that is turning the other teams loose on them. Ergo, the consideration of high danger chances and other teams skating right past our D-men to face down our goalies in the crease.
4 empty net goals. I think Orlov was on the ice for 3 of them. Or, 4? That helps him get to -10, for sure.

I get Orlov and TDA stumbling, as one is new and the other is helpless on D. Tripp said Deangelo has to contribute on the PP to be in the lineup. Well, the PP is doing well, if we can only keep him off the ice at 5v5.
But, what's up with Skjei and Pesce, whom we need to be on top of their games? It looks bad.
Burns got beat by McCann for the Kraken insurance goal last night. Slipped right past him.
Kartye scored back door without a Dman in sight. Maybe Bunting should have had him covered.
And, when we are without Aho and Svech both, that takes a huge load off the other teams.
KK is struggling tremendously. Turnovers and out of position. I think that will change.

I'm more invested mentally in 82 games than 5 games.
It is ugly now, but I expect it to improve. Hopefully tomorrow night!

Old 10-20-2023, 05:07 PM

Why are there a Kraken in the crease and the other alone with one Hurricane outside in front of them?
All screening or distracting Raanta, so Gourde has an easy tip.

What was Raanta to do on this one? Defensive stumble. Canes down 1-0.

Penalty kill. Defense lets Schwartz free right in front of Raanta, with time to dangle and play. 2-1.

PP. KK tosses a careless odd angle soft pass towards Orlov from low down and cannot get back to cover after, so Orlov got beat on a 2 on 1, which the Kraken executed perfectly. Raanta hung out to dry. 3-0.

3-1 in the 1st period.

Dunn slaps a goal in on the PP, and maybe Raanta should have had it. 4-1
Goalie change.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/car-v.../19/2023020060

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-20-2023 at 05:18 PM..

Old 10-20-2023, 05:56 PM

Emergency call up??

I wonder why.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...jp1ZEN867iHXyU

Old 10-21-2023, 03:11 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Even without Svech and Aho, losing 7-4 to a winless team is pretty concerning.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

Eh. I'm not too worried. I think the D will stabilize and that will make the goalies look better. At least the Canes are scoring.
It was a trap game, and I called it that before it started.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:36 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
No one game is "concerning" in an 82 game season.

But here we are in game 6 and yet again we're giving up a ton of goals. This IS becoming a concerning trend. 6 goals through 2 periods tonight, putting the tally to 30 goals through 5 games and 2 periods...

Hopefully the guys can get this together.

Last edited by HRVT; 10-21-2023 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-22-2023, 08:50 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
The Canes are 3rd in the league for most penalty minutes. They have the 4th-worst PK in the league. This is not a good recipe.

Old 10-22-2023, 08:52 AM

RBA says it is his job to get 20 guys on the same page.

I'm pulling for him to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary