Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,411 times

Advertisements

I am all for helping out families who are on a fixed income but if that income is so fixed.....should they be purchasing electronic equipment? And if that is the case, $1 a week for a new release movie if they choose to rent one?

I completely understand WANTING to have those types of amenities at a local library but NEEDING is a different story. In regards to the educational movies I don't think that was the original idea but if it was, and that is not available then YES that is a shame.

As for the senior living center wanting movies or activities for it's residence, my parents purchased a Nintendo Wii for the one my grandparents are living in. My thoughts are that if someone has a family member in a home like that there would be another family member willing to look out for the residents. Hell if I worked there I would provide something for the people. There is something about happy customers that makes a day easier.

I think there are more pressing issues in Wake County than new movies at the Library but to each his own. Good luck anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 PM

831 posts, read 1,964,600 times
Yes more pressing issues in Wake county such as how to properly spend my tax dollars.

I have no idea what you're referring to with purchasing electronics but I guess it really doesn't matter. The statement is obnoxious. The senior center simply took advantage of something available in the community. Only outside of here is it such an oddity to offer something other than childrens' books when everyone is paying taxes that support the library. They had the electronic equipment available, donated by a resident, and they made use of a library feature. Period.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 PM

831 posts, read 1,964,600 times
"I think there are more pressing issues in Wake County than new movies at the Library but to each his own. Good luck anyways."

By the way, ever been to a Wake County Library Sale? Where there are new releases off the best seller list, barely a year old, (with library date stamp stickers on the back) already for sale for $4? It's infuriating. If they can p--- out money on countless new releases only to be let go the following November in a library sale, they can pick up a few cd's and dvd's. I think appropriate spending is definitely a priority, and tossing out brand new books are fire sale prices is not acceptable.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,721 times
I actually like that the focus of our library is on books and reading. I would hate to see books taken out of the library to make space for DVDs.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
I have no idea what you're referring to with purchasing electronics but I guess it really doesn't matter. The statement is obnoxious.
I am talking about a family on a fixed or lower income. Not the senior home. As the rest of my statement mentioned, senior centers should at least have someone who can donate.....like my parents did. The statement makes sense. If you are on a fixed income then maybe an electronics equipment purchase, like a DVD player, is not something NEEDED but WANTED. If they already own one then go spend the $1 and go to Red Box in the meanwhile.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM

305 posts, read 713,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Money constraints to keep your taxes low.

With Netflix, etc around, why have this replicated at the library?
Since when are taxes "low" in Wake county??

You are viewing this issue all wrong, so allow me to clear it up for you: If poorer counties in NC (and America) can afford to do it, so can Wake (or I should say, ESPECIALLY Wake, since it's one of the richest in the state.)

The reason such ameneties do not exist at Wake county libraries is because your tax dollars are not being spent properly. PERIOD.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:43 PM

551 posts, read 575,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
Since when are taxes "low" in Wake county??

Since always. Taxes here are my spare change per day. It's almost laughable, but I am not complaining.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
The reason such ameneties do not exist at Wake county libraries is because your tax dollars are not being spent properly. PERIOD.
I understand your argument in regards to poorer counties having those amenities but to say that proper spending of tax dollars is buying DVDs for the local library is a little much. Those "poorer counties" may have less infrastructure, population and growth to support and that being the case have the extra $$ for DVDs in their local libraries. Now I am not backing the Wake county government in regards to "proper spending" but I can tell you that there are PLENTY of things I would rather have my tax dollars go towards than DVDs at the library but of course that is my opinion. I respect your opinion as well and understand where you are coming from, unfortunately I just don't agree

Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,721 times
Quote:
If poorer counties in NC (and America) can afford to do it, so can Wake (or I should say, ESPECIALLY Wake, since it's one of the richest in the state.)
:
Maybe if the poorer counties had bought more books for their citizens to read instead of DVDs they wouldn't be as poor

Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
I know UNC's audio/video library is extensive and of good quality, and is also open to the public. Not sure what NCSU's or Dook's libraries are like however.... but maybe you should look to them for better collections.

After experiencing the college library systems, I've never found a municipal system that even came close to their quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary