Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 08:20 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The kids are probably inside surfing the internet most days. You just caught them on moving day before they settled into a normal daily routine.
You bring up an interesting point. There's a lot of talk about how kids are spending more time with their electronic devices than outside, getting exercise. But in fact, if you're in a neighborhood populated with undisciplined and delinquent kids, it's a bonus. In the last 10 years around here, the screaming kids that once went roaming around at all hours, have almost disappeared. They're too busy online or playing video games, texting, using drugs and having sex, to cause any commotion outside. When it comes their turn to take over the reins of society, we'll be in big trouble. But for now, it's much quieter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 09:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Do you also have children and a dog(s)? If so, this should work out. But if it were me, I'd get out of the purchase if I could.

Even if this family has reasonably polite children, they are going to be intrusive. Wait until they put up the basketball hoop. And the younger one won't be going to college for about 10 years. You could end up with noisy neighbors anywhere, especially in a family neighborhood. But why start out with a mess if you don't have to? Stop the sale if you can and purchase something where you know who the neighbors will be or where you have a larger lot. New construction today tends to be on very tiny properties and it doesn't sound like you're used to interacting with neighbors.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You bring up an interesting point. There's a lot of talk about how kids are spending more time with their electronic devices than outside, getting exercise. But in fact, if you're in a neighborhood populated with undisciplined and delinquent kids, it's a bonus. In the last 10 years around here, the screaming kids that once went roaming around at all hours, have almost disappeared. They're too busy online or playing video games, texting, using drugs and having sex, to cause any commotion outside. When it comes their turn to take over the reins of society, we'll be in big trouble. But for now, it's much quieter.
Some of your neighbors no doubt said the same about you when you were ten. And your parents' neighbors when they were ten. And your grandparents' neighbors when they were ten. See where I'm going here?

Old 07-30-2016, 09:52 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Met another set of neighbors(who seemed excellent neighbors) and this whole thing may be a false alarm. Seems those kids who were biking all over the yard were just visitors. The real problem kids are apparently another set of young kids at the end of the block who haven't accepted that this new subdivision has popped up in their play field. Will do things like ride their power wheels through everyone's driveway and not move when you pull up on them. Guess it's a good thing both cars have backup cams.

A trash day has come and gone and the trash pile is still there though. And yes the house is vacant but it is also the neighborhood model/office and that pile is visible from the main street entrance to the subdivision. But seems they're not living there full time yet so hopefully that gets addressed and doesn't continue. If we ran into them I would even offer to take the boxes off their hands to use for our move rather than let them get rained on.

Last edited by notnamed; 07-30-2016 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If you don't like kids in the neighborhood you need to find a 55 and over community that does not allow them.
A huge difference between " kids in the neighborhood" and kids biking on your newly sodded lawn.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah that's it so far. Question is whether that's it, or it's the tip of the iceberg regarding undisciplined children. My parents certainly wouldn't have let me bike through other people's property like that.

Will hopefully run into the parents on one of our walks by there and feel them out with an introduction.

Yeah, acreage would be ideal. But well out of price range even if I did tack on an hour commute.

We just got extremely lucky at our first place I suppose and got spoiled. Cul-de-sac with no children and very quiet neighbors.
Kids being kids is an issue? Really?

I have active kids in my neighborhood. They know who I am, as I make an effort to talk to them when I think they are a bit out of line, but never in a threatening way. They also know they can come over and ask for help if they need it if their parents are not home, and their parents know who I am as well; we got to know each other over coffee.

They are five of them from the one family. They play. They make noise. They fight occasionally. They are a bit too rambunctious every once in a while. Big deal. They are kids, they are respectful and not destructive. Oh, and my kids? They are angels.

Why?

Because they are 38 and 40 years old. Which gives you an idea of my age. You're making a huge deal out of nothing. If you don't want kids in the neighborhood, buy in an age restricted condo development. Most of them you have to be over 55.

Last edited by cupper3; 07-30-2016 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Yep as I said before, would love to buy into a 55+ community and probably will in 20 years when old enough to do so. As they say of Portland "it's where 30 year olds go to retire".

It isn't kids being kids that I have an issue with. It's kids being destructive of new sod which is fragile at this stage.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Some of your neighbors no doubt said the same about you when you were ten. And your parents' neighbors when they were ten. And your grandparents' neighbors when they were ten. See where I'm going here?
Young people were very different around here when I was age 10 and so was our regional society. We never locked-up our bikes, as bicycle theft was unknown. I always made a point about being a model for good behavior and my friends of my age did the same. When my neighbors went on vacations, I watered their lawns and flowers and fed their pets. There may have been some who misbehaved, but not in my group. I can't remember anyone in my whole grade school, who had a discipline problem. By the time we got to junior high school, there were a small number of delinquents, but no more than a dozen, out of 600 students. The kids I knew who had single mothers, were mostly those whose fathers had been killed in military service.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:34 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times
Quote:
Yep as I said before, would love to buy into a 55+ community and probably will in 20 years when old enough to do so. As they say of Portland "it's where 30 year olds go to retire".

It isn't kids being kids that I have an issue with. It's kids being destructive of new sod which is fragile at this stage.
seems most posters have a hard time reading your last sentence.
I certainly don't and I wouldn't think that is acceptable kids' behavior either .

Old 07-31-2016, 06:40 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
The kids don't know your sod is new and fragile. Kids are dopey, that's why they have to live with us till they're at least 18. My son tried to reheat a slice of pizza in the toaster oven the other day while it was still on the plate. His brain went away when he turned 14 and I've been assured it will return by the time he's 19 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate