Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 11:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
We have one near our sink too...maybe it was an old house thing? Its a really weird place for one.

Hmm, i didnt even notice it was right above. Thats a gas stove so open flame + outlet....
In my house I have the garbage disposal switch to the left of the sink. Next to that is an outlet. That is very common and I'm sure meets code. It's not behind the sink. It's off to the side, like the one in the OP's new kitchen. My house was inspected, and the inspector paid attention to electrical things. He said nothing about that setup.

The outlet behind the gas stove I would bet is a fire hazard and doesn't meet code. It just needs to be moved over to the side so it's not behind the stove. Not a big deal, but then the backsplash would have to be redone in the area where the outlet had been and maybe in the area where the outlet is moved to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
He did this in a weekend, there were no permits pulled. Hell he is talking about moving an outlet again and that requires permits and bringing the line up to current code. I'm not a troll but this dude is a loon so that was expected after the way he attacked the person who asked about permits in the first place.

Based on the pictures I listed everything a home inspector would call out. If you did have permits done yes you have to disclose the work but you may not need to say it was a DIY job. The permits will say that for you anyway.
You don't need a permit to move an outlet where I live. It's a simple task.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Disclose what? It's a longer gas line. He did not change the location of the wall connection which means he did not touch the gas pipes. If he did move the actual valve location he would be required to pressure test the system.

Screams bad idea why? Because you haven't seen it? (You do know that gas stoves NEED a electrical outlet to run the electronics like the timer and display. And the cord on a stove isn't that long. Thats why there is a outlet near a stove. You do know that right. (In newer houses it's lower and hidden behind the stove. Older houses have instances where the stove/cooktop with upper microwave are one huge unit. And you needed a outlet high do both the micro and stove could reach it
There are enough outlets. Because that's ALL that was required at the time. Basically you use what's called the 6/12 foot rule (dictated by the size of the room.) you are not required to have a ton of outlets everywhere. You can if you want to when you're building the house. You can add more outlets but that WILL require a permit.

If he was UPGRADING his electrical he would have to bring his electrical to code. Which would require him to get DEDICATED circuits for the all the appliances. Maybe need to upgrade the wiring.

People throw scope of work and permits around like it's everything. It's a SCOPE OF WORK for a reason. If you're cosmetically upgrading a kitchen because the original cabinets are falling apart ad that's your scope of work you are not required to upgrade the plumbing or electrical. Because that's outside the scope of work.

Permits are great. but I wouldn't pull a permit unless I'm moving walls ,electrical, plumbing, HVAC.
People are tearing this poor guy apart. I criticized his color scheme, as well. But really...that outlet behind and above the stove is a fire hazard, I'm pretty sure and won't pass inspection. It just needs to be moved to the side of the stove, at the least. The stove isn't plugged into it, that I can tell. Neither is the microwave. (There can't be a hanging wire using an outlet above a stove, I'm certain. That won't pass inspection. Big fire hazard.) He's going to have to move that outlet in order to sell the house, I'm pretty sure. But maybe the buyer will agree to pay for the fix.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
In my house I have the garbage disposal switch to the left of the sink. Next to that is an outlet. That is very common and I'm sure meets code. It's not behind the sink. It's off to the side, like the one in the OP's new kitchen. My house was inspected, and the inspector paid attention to electrical things. He said nothing about that setup.

The outlet behind the gas stove I would bet is a fire hazard and doesn't meet code. It just needs to be moved over to the side so it's not behind the stove. Not a big deal, but then the backsplash would have to be redone in the area where the outlet had been and maybe in the area where the outlet is moved to.
How is it an issue by just being there? Do you think it's going to catch fire while cooking food?

Old 11-24-2016, 06:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Quote:
People are tearing this poor guy apart. I criticized his color scheme, as well. But really...that outlet behind and above the stove is a fire hazard, I'm pretty sure and won't pass inspection. It just needs to be moved to the side of the stove, at the least. The stove isn't plugged into it, that I can tell. Neither is the microwave. (There can't be a hanging wire using an outlet above a stove, I'm certain. That won't pass inspection. Big fire hazard.) He's going to have to move that outlet in order to sell the house, I'm pretty sure. But maybe the buyer will agree to pay for the fix.

My townhouse built in 1976 has an outlet just like that behind the stove in the first picture. Not in the middle but to the side but still behind the stove. That outlet is meant for the stove, not the range hood like in the first picture. In the newer homes, the outlet is put lower behind the stove.

Outlet in that location (2nd picture) is not practical with the newer stove with the high back. I can see that OP used a slide in stove with the update so I assume there is an outlet behind the stove. My knock on him is why put the outlet smack in the middle when you already have stuff torn out? Surely, that outlet is not bein used by the stove. I would have put an outlet on the left of that and another one to the right of the range.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:44 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
My townhouse built in 1976 has an outlet just like that behind the stove in the first picture. Not in the middle but to the side but still behind the stove. That outlet is meant for the stove, not the range hood like in the first picture. In the newer homes, the outlet is put lower behind the stove.

Outlet in that location (2nd picture) is not practical with the newer stove with the high back. I can see that OP used a slide in stove with the update so I assume there is an outlet behind the stove. My knock on him is why put the outlet smack in the middle when you already have stuff torn out? Surely, that outlet is not bein used by the stove.
I didn't put it there. It was already there. It didn't occur to me to move it at the time. I'll move it when I have time.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
As I have said many times, it was already there. It did not occur to me to move it at the time. I will move it when I have time.

As for people tearing me apart, that's ok. I set out with a budget of $2500. I've noticed on here that people always expect something like the property brothers type of work, which costs a lot more than $2500.

So, please tell us as is how that outlet is a fire hazard? Do you imagine the stove will shoot flames up and that outlet will just combust?

I agree that it's not very practical to have that outlet there. But you claiming it's a fire hazard tells me you view these things like black boxes. You should be aware that not everyone see things like black boxes. Some of us actually know what goes on behind what's visible. Not everyone needs the property brothers to come to the rescue, you know.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
You don't need a permit to move an outlet where I live. It's a simple task.
I think people are freaking out because they don't really know how moving outlets work. I used to work in tech support and computer repair. People always had the panic look on their faces when I opened up their computers to perform tests. That's why I'd rather they not be around when I started working on their computers. A lot of people think that if they don't understand something then surely nobody else understands it either.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Actually, you'd be surprised how easy it will be to move the outlet and redo the backsplash in that area. I will access the area from the other side of the wall. The backsplash is mosaic glass, which makes it even easier to fix. Just buy a few pieces of the same glass and place them there.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
As I have said many times, it was already there. It did not occur to me to move it at the time. I will move it when I have time.

As for people tearing me apart, that's ok. I set out with a budget of $2500. I've noticed on here that people always expect something like the property brothers type of work, which costs a lot more than $2500.

So, please tell us as is how that outlet is a fire hazard? Do you imagine the stove will shoot flames up and that outlet will just combust?

I agree that it's not very practical to have that outlet there. But you claiming it's a fire hazard tells me you view these things like black boxes. You should be aware that not everyone see things like black boxes. Some of us actually know what goes on behind what's visible. Not everyone needs the property brothers to come to the rescue, you know.
It's not the outlet catching fire. It's about someone plugging an appliance on there and possibly having a hanging cord (like the one in your first picture).

Moving that electrical outlet is harder than you think with the backsplash (unless your plan is to just cover it with a plate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate