Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:23 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Thank you for your answer. Makes sense.
By the pictures I think your Reno looks great! I'm sure no one is going to question it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 11:31 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,217 times
Quote:
Yeah, but that would assume that I'm a dumbass. Why? Because only a dumbass would put the effort to put in real stone countertops and such without using a level. It's not the suggestion of there's a slope as much as what comes after. Again, it's one of the signs of trying to get a reaction out of me. Very common tactic used by internet trolls. Innocently throw in a few seemingly innocent suggestions that implicate something much more. The trick is to make it sound innocent enough so that it doesn't really sound like anything to people it's not directed to.

Anyway, the answer is no I'm not going to hire a world class renovation expert to fix up an $80k house in this kind of neighborhood.
Uh-huh. Says the "structural engineer" who got all bent out of shape because he wasn't familiar with the term "pull permits"

Come on. Toughen up. You're just being ridiculous. Not everyone is out to get you.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:26 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Uh-huh. Says the "structural engineer" who got all bent out of shape because he wasn't familiar with the term "pull permits"

Come on. Toughen up. You're just being ridiculous. Not everyone is out to get you.
I was being ridiculous. Thank you for pointing that out.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:15 PM

199 posts, read 183,884 times
Not unless it is required by laws in your area.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:02 PM

119 posts, read 104,899 times
Where I live damage (e.g., fire) caused by unpermitted work (I.e. Work that the relevant town requires a permit to be applied for, and inspections passed, but weren't) are not covered by homeowners insurance. So buying a home with renovations or changes that are not on permits on record at town hall all have to be undone if a buyer wants to be safe. Huge bummer for your buyer if the gas connection wasn't done exactly right... (in my state only a plumber can attach or detach a stove. I know other states allow anyone to do so. I,e, you might want to confirm at your towns building department exactly when a permit is needed.)

If I were interested in buying a home with remodeling that didn't look professional, I'd for sure check the building dept. for permits. (They are public information.)

Old 11-23-2016, 12:21 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
I had both my kitchen and bath remodeled up in PA and I do not remember having to get permits. The kitchen included new appliances but not moving anything to a new location. I think maybe if you weren't taking down walls, you didn't need a permit. My contractor used his boyfriend to hook up the plumbing (not a licensed plumber), which I don't think he would've been able to do if there was a permit involved.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Should we tell potential buyers we renovated the house ourselves or should we avoid telling them?

Here's before and after pictures.

It doesn't matter who renovated the kitchen. If they ask, tell them honestly. Not sure why anyone would think that's an issue.

I would consider that kitchen still a re-do, though. I would have to change out the counters and backsplash, and have the cabinets painted. Gray in food areas is a no-no to me. There is no gray food, so it's an unappetizing and unhappy color. Like brown in a bathroom...inappropriate.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Gray in food areas is a no-no to me. There is no gray food, so it's an unappetizing and unhappy color. Like brown in a bathroom...inappropriate.
I don't eat cabinets and if so it would be a good color if you are on a diet. Plus wood is brown, so there are wood accents in a bathroom that's fine.

How is pink in the bedroom?

Old 11-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't eat cabinets and if so it would be a good color if you are on a diet. Plus wood is brown, so there are wood accents in a bathroom that's fine.

How is pink in the bedroom?
A wood accent in a bathroom would be fine, as would bronze fixtures. But a main color is a no-no (countertops, toilet or tub colors). Because brown is the color of poo and doesn't look clean.

If you want to know good kitchen colors, look at restaurant colors. They use colors conducive to eating. But yes, if you want to turn people off to your food, gray is one way to go.

Look at the colors of food and you can't go wrong. Red like apples, green like celery, purple like eggplant, white like rice, black like licorice or beans, beige like beans. I don't care for brown in kitchens, but there are brown foods, like mushrooms or beans.

When I see a gray kitchen, I automatically think a flipper did it, since that's the thing these days. Flippers seem to do everything in gray, even the kitchen. Walls, counters, backsplashes, kitchen floor, bathroom floors, and even painting the exterior brick gray. They probably have a warehouse full of gray stuff that they use to mix and match in their various flips.

Bedrooms can be done in any of the colors you've chosen in the color scheme for the house. A house is supposed to have a color scheme, for continuity and cohesiveness. It starts with the outside and continues through all the rooms of the house. Usually it's a couple of neutrals and two or more colors. You accentuate some of the colors in one room, and some of the others in another room, but throughout you have a smidgeon of most of them in the rooms, so there is a cohesiveness and flow and looks put together and more spacey. I love colors. It's an exciting part of decorating.

Last edited by bpollen; 11-23-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 11-23-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Home Depot will install a gas stove with a new line and they arent special plumbers or contractors. They dont ask for permits.

We had a 1970s stove of my great grandmas that was leaking gas and Home Depot took that one out and installed our new one. They disconnected at the line in the floor and put a new one on, then put a new gas hose for the new stove from there.
I'm pretty sure it has to be done by a licensed plumber in my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate