Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 02:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times

Advertisements

I don't think it was nitpicking. And I didn't see it as an AHA! moment. It was a question where the answer HUGELY affects the way people will respond.

My very first thought, when you said you did the work yourself, was "did they pull permits"? Someone asked, and you said no. That answer set off all the rest of this discussion.

I would never buy a house that had had non-permitted work done, as that has to be disclosed when I resell the house, as it is on the state disclosure form.

You did have permits, so that is irrelevant, but it was a very important, very relevant question, and you gave an answer that sent up huge red flags.

Fill out the property disclosure your agent gives you, fill it out honestly, and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 03:05 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I don't think it was nitpicking. And I didn't see it as an AHA! moment. It was a question where the answer HUGELY affects the way people will respond.

My very first thought, when you said you did the work yourself, was "did they pull permits"? Someone asked, and you said no. That answer set off all the rest of this discussion.

I would never buy a house that had had non-permitted work done, as that has to be disclosed when I resell the house, as it is on the state disclosure form.

You did have permits, so that is irrelevant, but it was a very important, very relevant question, and you gave an answer that sent up huge red flags.

Fill out the property disclosure your agent gives you, fill it out honestly, and leave it at that.
He did this in a weekend, there were no permits pulled. Hell he is talking about moving an outlet again and that requires permits and bringing the line up to current code. I'm not a troll but this dude is a loon so that was expected after the way he attacked the person who asked about permits in the first place.

Based on the pictures I listed everything a home inspector would call out. If you did have permits done yes you have to disclose the work but you may not need to say it was a DIY job. The permits will say that for you anyway.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:19 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Here's the thing...I do not remember any disclosure which asks this. You must disclose known flaws and repairs. That's it.
I watch a lot of HGTV Shows. It seems like every show features a house in which additions were not permitted, yet the buyers pay mucho bucks for dumps, and then they have to tear down additions that aren't permitted.
We do a lot of DIY in our houses, and we do not disclose, or apologize for it.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:28 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Perhaps I missed your response, but did you apply for a building permit, get the work inspected and close out the permit when you were done? "Everything was up to spec" is not the answer to my questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Yes, yes, and yes.

Right here, he said he did get permits and inspections. That's what my response was based on.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:17 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Not everyone lives where a permit is required for every little thing.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:35 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
While I think a lot of the permit requirements are absurd, this is a perfect example when one is needed.

If this was done by hiring a contractor, a permit would have ensured that the electrical is not left as it is.
If a DIYer wants to tackle this, make sure you do what is expected from inspection. When you do DIY, don't short cut. You are just cheating yourself.

BTW.. I hate to see the amount of grease that will get on the side of the microwave hood.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:48 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,318,567 times
oh heck.. I just looked at the before and after photos again and the outlet over your stove was originally the outlet for the fridge.

But since you didn't move the gas line for the stove, that means the flexible extension you got for your stove has to be incredibly long.

Are you running the flex behind the cabinets? Did you connect two flex lines together?

Old 11-21-2016, 05:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Uh, yeah, I think I'd want that disclosed.
Disclose what? It's a longer gas line. He did not change the location of the wall connection which means he did not touch the gas pipes. If he did move the actual valve location he would be required to pressure test the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
Also, I'm not an electrician or an inspector so what do I know, but that outlet over the stove screams "bad idea" and doesn't seem like it would be code. Also there don't seem to be enough outlets, which also seems not to reflect newer code. Whether that's actually the case or not, as a buyer I would walk away.
Screams bad idea why? Because you haven't seen it? (You do know that gas stoves NEED a electrical outlet to run the electronics like the timer and display. And the cord on a stove isn't that long. Thats why there is a outlet near a stove. You do know that right. (In newer houses it's lower and hidden behind the stove. Older houses have instances where the stove/cooktop with upper microwave are one huge unit. And you needed a outlet high do both the micro and stove could reach it
There are enough outlets. Because that's ALL that was required at the time. Basically you use what's called the 6/12 foot rule (dictated by the size of the room.) you are not required to have a ton of outlets everywhere. You can if you want to when you're building the house. You can add more outlets but that WILL require a permit.

If he was UPGRADING his electrical he would have to bring his electrical to code. Which would require him to get DEDICATED circuits for the all the appliances. Maybe need to upgrade the wiring.

People throw scope of work and permits around like it's everything. It's a SCOPE OF WORK for a reason. If you're cosmetically upgrading a kitchen because the original cabinets are falling apart ad that's your scope of work you are not required to upgrade the plumbing or electrical. Because that's outside the scope of work.

Permits are great. but I wouldn't pull a permit unless I'm moving walls ,electrical, plumbing, HVAC.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
I WOULD NEVER DISCLOSE anything unless asked! With that said, if they ask you have to tell them! We finished our basement 10 years ago. We did some of the work and hired contractors for some. We did not pull permits as our taxes would have skyrocketed. We listed our home this past February and sold in a week. It was never an issue and passed with flying colors during inspection. The buyers never asked if permits were pulled or if it was professional done. Had they asked though, by law we would have had to tell them the truth and take it from there.

Some people may care if its was not professionally done and others could careless. I think it depends how good it looks. if it looks great I don't think anyone would ask, if it looks shoddy, people are going to ask!

Old 11-21-2016, 07:06 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I WOULD NEVER DISCLOSE anything unless asked! With that said, if they ask you have to tell them! We finished our basement 10 years ago. We did some of the work and hired contractors for some. We did not pull permits as our taxes would have skyrocketed. We listed our home this past February and sold in a week. It was never an issue and passed with flying colors during inspection. The buyers never asked if permits were pulled or if it was professional done. Had they asked though, by law we would have had to tell them the truth and take it from there.

Some people may care if its was not professionally done and others could careless. I think it depends how good it looks. if it looks great I don't think anyone would ask, if it looks shoddy, people are going to ask!
Thank you for your answer. Makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate