Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 06:29 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You did.
Permits if needed were pulled? No, the permits that were needed were not pulled (I'm assuming meaning revoked).

Anything else you want to nitpick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 06:37 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Permits if needed were pulled? No, the permits that were needed were not pulled (I'm assuming meaning revoked).

"Being pulled" meaning did you apply for any needed permits? Getting permits would probably mean getting the necessary inspections.

You asked for issues with you doing the work. Depending on how serious your jurisdiction is about building codes and inspections and how deep a potential buyer's inspector wants to dig you could have an issue.

You asked a question. I answered with potential problems you might face having done the work yourself. Which could entail additional costs for you coming into compliance.

If that's "nit picking", ok.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:44 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:

Pulled means gotten or attained.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
"Being pulled" meaning did you apply for any needed permits? Getting permits would probably mean getting the necessary inspections.
English isn't my first language. Nitpicking my words for an AHA! thing is kinda mean.

Quote:
You asked for issues with you doing the work. Depending on how serious your jurisdiction is about building codes and inspections and how deep a potential buyer's inspector wants to dig you could have an issue.
No, I didn't. I asked if it's a good idea or bad idea to tell potential buyers outright that we did the work ourselves.

Try to think of it this way. I know I can build a computer that is 1000 times better than any computer you will be able to get at a best buy for a fraction of the price. But to the layman, a computer with a celeron processor they got brand new from best buy will seem better than my home-built i7.

This is what I'm referring to. Everything we've done is unimpeachable. But again, technically it wasn't "professionally" done.

Quote:
You asked a question. I answered with potential problems you might face having done the work yourself. Which could entail additional costs for you coming into compliance.

If that's "nit picking", ok.
I don't know. You seemed more interested in finding an AHA! moment to say AHA!

Old 11-20-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Pulled means gotten or attained.
This is weird. I've always assumed pulled means revoked or taken back.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:52 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
You seem upset when people say that you should. So it's more like I think you're looking for people to give you the advice not to.

I would say that you are correct, if you told me some random guy did a renovation, I'd question it. You're also right that people get way too tied up in irrelevant things like (not being sarcastic) licensing. I've known licensed people in many professions who were terrible at what they do, yet people feel comforted that a government agency has checked them. It's certainly true of contractors, as everyone well knows. But regardless of knowing that, people get worried if unlicensed people do work.

It seems like most of what you did was cosmetic: tiling and cabinetry. There's not too much that can go wrong with that. So if that's all you did, then whatever. I think it would be ethical if you did major work, like electrical or plumbing, to disclose it to a buyer up front. But I don't know if you're ethical. So also whatever. Point is, if you're bothered by it, that's your conscience telling you something.

Hope you make the right choice. Remember, we all want to be treated well by others. Sometimes we need to start with ourselves.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:54 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
English isn't my first language. Nitpicking my words for an AHA! thing is kinda mean.

No, I didn't. I asked if it's a good idea or bad idea to tell potential buyers outright that we did the work ourselves.

Try to think of it this way. I know I can build a computer that is 1000 times better than any computer you will be able to get at a best buy for a fraction of the price. But to the layman, a computer with a celeron processor they got brand new from best buy will seem better than my home-built i7.

This is what I'm referring to. Everything we've done is unimpeachable. But again, technically it wasn't "professionally" done.

I don't know. You seemed more interested in finding an AHA! moment to say AHA!
Fine. Do what you want. You'll find out soon enough if you mislead buyers or their inspection finds unpermitted/uninspected work.

You were the one who was nit picking words.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
You seem upset when people say that you should. So it's more like I think you're looking for people to give you the advice not to.
Actually, no. I was upset that beach gave me single word and single sentence answers.

Of course, I will disclose it if people ask.

Quote:
I would say that you are correct, if you told me some random guy did a renovation, I'd question it. You're also right that people get way too tied up in irrelevant things like (not being sarcastic) licensing. I've known licensed people in many professions who were terrible at what they do, yet people feel comforted that a government agency has checked them. It's certainly true of contractors, as everyone well knows. But regardless of knowing that, people get worried if unlicensed people do work.
Agreed.

Quote:
It seems like most of what you did was cosmetic: tiling and cabinetry. There's not too much that can go wrong with that. So if that's all you did, then whatever. I think it would be ethical if you did major work, like electrical or plumbing, to disclose it to a buyer up front. But I don't know if you're ethical. So also whatever. Point is, if you're bothered by it, that's your conscience telling you something.

Hope you make the right choice. Remember, we all want to be treated well by others. Sometimes we need to start with ourselves.
You are correct. 99% was purely cosmetic. Actually, there was no plumbing or electrical work done. We replaced the cabinets, countertops, rearranged the layout for better access, etc.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
Yes, I would ask who did the renovations. I would also ask about their (in this case, homeowners) qualifications. If plumbing work was done, are you a plumber? I'd also ask if permits were pulled, inspections done, etc.

I may be in the minority, but I prefer to buy a house that has not been freshly painted/upgraded so I can see things. I can easily look up property records in my area so I also avoid flipped houses. As an aside, houses with additions seriously freak me out b/c I have seen so many that were not done correctly or up to code.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Fine. Do what you want. You'll find out soon enough if you mislead buyers or their inspection finds unpermitted/uninspected work.

You were the one who was nit picking words.
I'm sorry I hurt your very delicate feelings.

I didn't say I'm going to lie to the potential buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate