Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I'm a busy guy and I don't have time to keep abreast of what's happening in every single C-D discussion and I don't often have time to go back and read a dozen plus pages of discussion. If you did pull permits then I retract my statement, but when I last read the discussion (in it's earlier stages) I believe you said that you had not. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I explained later on that I misunderstood when someone asked if I "pulled" a permit. English isn't my first language. I answered no at the time because I thought "pulled" meant revoked.

For the dozenth time, yes I got a permit. Yes, it was inspected and cleared by the city inspector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 12:12 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I explained later on that I misunderstood when someone asked if I "pulled" a permit. English isn't my first language. I answered no at the time because I thought "pulled" meant revoked.

For the dozenth time, yes I got a permit. Yes, it was inspected and cleared by the city inspector.
Wow! Shocking that your building code would allow for an outlet directly above a cook top. My sincere apologies then.

If you pulled permits and the work was inspected by the building department then who cares who did the work.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Wow! Shocking that your building code would allow for an outlet directly above a cook top. My sincere apologies then.

If you pulled permits and the work was inspected by the building department then who cares who did the work.
Well, I also explained later on that the outlet was already there and it never occurred to me to move it when I was working on it. I will move it when I have time. It's relatively easy.

There is actually no code against having the outlet there. I just checked a few days ago, although I agree that it's not a very good place for it.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

You are correct. 99% was purely cosmetic. Actually, there was no plumbing or electrical work done. We replaced the cabinets, countertops, rearranged the layout for better access, etc.
Why did the city need to inspect it?

Old 12-14-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Who knows? Just to be safe, I got a permit. Inspector came and ok'ed it once I finished.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:55 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
There had to be plumbing work done. The gas stove moved when you look at the before picture and the after. The refrigerator also moved and if it had an icemaker then there was plumbing involved as well.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Who knows? Just to be safe, I got a permit. Inspector came and ok'ed it once I finished.
Either way, give your real estate agent the straight story.

If you had to move plumbing and gas, then it wasn't "99% cosmetic." Stop taking it personally when people here ask you the exact same questions that potential buyers or their agents will ask. Consider it a pre-inspection interrogation. Some folks here may think of something you had not considered. English may be your second language, but you don't want to come off as squirrely (i.e. deceptive) about your remodeling job.

If you are in a competitive market and/or get a lot of first-time or inexperienced buyers, they probably won't care too much or know to ask who did the job. But it may make more experienced buyers wary if they know it was a DIY job, and it could cause them to look harder at other potential issues in the house.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Either way, give your real estate agent the straight story.

If you had to move plumbing and gas, then it wasn't "99% cosmetic." Stop taking it personally when people here ask you the exact same questions that potential buyers or their agents will ask. Consider it a pre-inspection interrogation. Some folks here may think of something you had not considered. English may be your second language, but you don't want to come off as squirrely (i.e. deceptive) about your remodeling job.

If you are in a competitive market and/or get a lot of first-time or inexperienced buyers, they probably won't care too much or know to ask who did the job. But it may make more experienced buyers wary if they know it was a DIY job, and it could cause them to look harder at other potential issues in the house.
I am not taking it personally. There is just a lot of world class internet inspectors here who do not know how to read and so ask the same questions over and over even though they were answered several times already.

But yes I agree. We will be straight with the realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate