Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:51 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I know what it takes to move an electrical outlet.

You're going to have to open up a wall somewhere to get access to it. How are you going to get to it without cutting into the back splash?
I'm going to access it from the other side of the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 01:34 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
True. We actually have no plan on moving anytime soon. We did not take any shortcut when doing this because we were planning to stay here for a while. I posed the question because we had dinner with a couple of friends and they suggested that if/when we sell the place this topic could come up.
It sounds like your "friends" were giving you a little jab there for the quality of your work. Since moving is not on the horizon, there is no reason they would bring that up except as a dig. Not cool.

I think the main thing is the finish on the cabinets, but maybe it looks better in person without the flash of a camera showing how bad it looks. And I think the other thing that makes it look unprofessional is your design choices. I love the backsplash and (quartz?) counter. But the white appliances stick out like a sore thumb with black cabinets. You could have done a gray cabinet to soften the starkness of the white, assuming you didn't want to splurge on stainless. The other thing is the drawer pulls. That style of pull looks better with a slab cabinet. So you've got a traditional style of cabinet, with contemporary pulls, and then farmhouse-style pulls on the false cabinet fronts. Kind of a mish-mosh.

The reason you're getting the critiques is that you may not be legally bound to tell potential buyers it's a DIY, but it may be obvious to them based on your choices and that could raise concerns.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:48 PM

306 posts, read 365,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It sounds like your "friends" were giving you a little jab there for the quality of your work. Since moving is not on the horizon, there is no reason they would bring that up except as a dig. Not cool.
Could be, but they could also just be pointing out a potential sticking point. Some people like thinking far ahead into the future, some don't.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I think the main thing is the finish on the cabinets, but maybe it looks better in person without the flash of a camera showing how bad it looks. And I think the other thing that makes it look unprofessional is your design choices. I love the backsplash and (quartz?) counter. But the white appliances stick out like a sore thumb with black cabinets. You could have done a gray cabinet to soften the starkness of the white, assuming you didn't want to splurge on stainless. The other thing is the drawer pulls. That style of pull looks better with a slab cabinet. So you've got a traditional style of cabinet, with contemporary pulls, and then farmhouse-style pulls on the false cabinet fronts. Kind of a mish-mosh.

The reason you're getting the critiques is that you may not be legally bound to tell potential buyers it's a DIY, but it may be obvious to them based on your choices and that could raise concerns.
Well, regarding the design and such, I think people need to understand this job in context. We set out to spend $2500 tops. That included gutting the kitchen, taking out the old floor, installing new porcelain tiles, new granite countertops, backsplash, sink, etc. We weren't really set out to compete with property brothers. Actually, I'm a little confused as to why people are trying to compare this job to something that would appear on a tv show.

Trust me, the area that we are in does not warrant us to spend anymore than that. To put things in perspective, I bought this house for $80k. I'm not going to hire a world class designer, world class renovation experts like the property brothers.

And let's be realistic. If we are going to sell this house in the future, whoever that will want to buy this house won't be as nitpicky as the people on this forum. Not in this area. LOL

Now, regarding some of the harshest critics on here. I suspect that they are trying to get a reaction out of me. I've dealt with internet trolls before and can recognize some of the signs. Take that one guy who suggested there's a slope. How in the world can he tell there's a slope? But let's be clear, there's no slope. LOL

Anyway, I've actually gotten several ideas on how to fine tune this job based on some of the constructive criticisms here.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:06 PM

306 posts, read 365,564 times
Quote:
Take that one guy who suggested there's a slope. How in the world can he tell there's a slope? But let's be clear, there's no slope. LOL
Looking at the picture a second time, I can see why he thinks there might be a slope. Could be just the angle of the picture, which is exactly what he said as well.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Looking at the picture a second time, I can see why he thinks there might be a slope. Could be just the angle of the picture, which is exactly what he said as well.
Yeah, but that would assume that I'm a dumbass. Why? Because only a dumbass would put the effort to put in real stone countertops and such without using a level. It's not the suggestion of there's a slope as much as what comes after. Again, it's one of the signs of trying to get a reaction out of me. Very common tactic used by internet trolls. Innocently throw in a few seemingly innocent suggestions that implicate something much more. The trick is to make it sound innocent enough so that it doesn't really sound like anything to people it's not directed to.

Anyway, the answer is no I'm not going to hire a world class renovation expert to fix up an $80k house in this kind of neighborhood.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Black? The cabinets are blue-gray.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:18 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
English isn't my first language. Nitpicking my words for an AHA! thing is kinda mean.
Nitpicking -- and jargon, which is what "pulling permits" is -- is the foundation of real estate contracts. You'd better get used to that right quick.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nitpicking -- and jargon, which is what "pulling permits" is -- is the foundation of real estate contracts. You'd better get used to that right quick.
I sure will.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:46 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Well, regarding the design and such, I think people need to understand this job in context. We set out to spend $2500 tops. That included gutting the kitchen, taking out the old floor, installing new porcelain tiles, new granite countertops, backsplash, sink, etc. We weren't really set out to compete with property brothers. Actually, I'm a little confused as to why people are trying to compare this job to something that would appear on a tv show.

Trust me, the area that we are in does not warrant us to spend anymore than that. To put things in perspective, I bought this house for $80k. I'm not going to hire a world class designer, world class renovation experts like the property brothers.

And let's be realistic. If we are going to sell this house in the future, whoever that will want to buy this house won't be as nitpicky as the people on this forum. Not in this area. LOL

Now, regarding some of the harshest critics on here. I suspect that they are trying to get a reaction out of me. I've dealt with internet trolls before and can recognize some of the signs. Take that one guy who suggested there's a slope. How in the world can he tell there's a slope? But let's be clear, there's no slope. LOL

Anyway, I've actually gotten several ideas on how to fine tune this job based on some of the constructive criticisms here.
You did a great job. Had you told me a contractor did it I wouldn't have thought differently. It's amazing you did all that for $2,500. You added a lot of value to the home. My father is good at carpentry and home projects and he could never do anything as nice as that. The people who are saying it's not a good job are the ones who couldn't do half as nice a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate