Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 09:49 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
It's not the outlet catching fire. It's about someone plugging an appliance on there and possibly having a hanging cord (like the one in your first picture).

Moving that electrical outlet is harder than you think with the backsplash (unless your plan is to just cover it with a plate).
In that case there is no need to remove it. If someone wants to use it they can use an extension cord and make sure it's out of the way of anything on the stove.

If in an of itself it's not a hazard it's a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 10:53 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
I would definately worry if I had any idea the work (electrical & plumbing ) was not done by licensed contractors . Therefore I would not reveal it unless asked.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Don't tell them ANYTHING. Let them see for themselves. Don't even be around to talk to them. If they have questions they can ask your agent.

A simple raise of the eyebrow could blow the deal. Stay away. Far away. (my opinion from experience as a buyer)

Old 11-24-2016, 01:11 PM

226 posts, read 860,515 times
I was really interested in this post as we have done some work ourselves, although nothing like a whole kitchen. I am amazed by the amount of replies that don't even bother answering the initial question, or those that give their opinion on how it looks. Personally I think it looks a heck of a lot better than it did before, but that wasn't the question so who gives a crap what I think about the kitchen. My answer to the actual question would be to tell if it's asked and not bother if it isn't.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:22 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
I was really interested in this post as we have done some work ourselves, although nothing like a whole kitchen. I am amazed by the amount of replies that don't even bother answering the initial question, or those that give their opinion on how it looks. Personally I think it looks a heck of a lot better than it did before, but that wasn't the question so who gives a crap what I think about the kitchen. My answer to the actual question would be to tell if it's asked and not bother if it isn't.
To be fair, most of the people here who critiqued my new kitchen without answering the question are professional world class interior designers. Every one of them has a TV show and will settle for nothing less than a professional reno of at least $70k. They are better than the rest of us and we should be honored in their presence.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:24 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
I wouldn't say anything. Looks more like redecoration than reconstruction. You don't need a permit to paint a room or add tile to the floor. And the range looks the same as the old one. Even still, you don't need permits to buy and install new appliances.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:40 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
This is weird. I've always assumed pulled means revoked or taken back.
English is funny. Generally you are correct, pulled is revoked. However in this case, pulled means taken out.

However I know where I live that replacing cabinets, putting in a new sink, lighting fixtures and buying and installing a new stove is not technically a remodel and does not require permits. As long as you are not moving plumbing or gas and rerunning electrical, it's all cosmetic.

And while it's okay looking, the picture shows a very not professional painted finishing the cabinets...somewhat rough looking like I needed more re sanding and a few clear coats....

Old 11-26-2016, 01:12 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,410,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
English is funny. Generally you are correct, pulled is revoked. However in this case, pulled means taken out.

However I know where I live that replacing cabinets, putting in a new sink, lighting fixtures and buying and installing a new stove is not technically a remodel and does not require permits. As long as you are not moving plumbing or gas and rerunning electrical, it's all cosmetic.

And while it's okay looking, the picture shows a very not professional painted finishing the cabinets...somewhat rough looking like I needed more re sanding and a few clear coats....
Right, the critiques about the renovation were made in the context of whether it looked like a DIY job, which related to the original question. However, I agree that if the OP would ever put the house on the market, don't volunteer the information.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:07 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
To be fair, most of the people here who critiqued my new kitchen without answering the question are professional world class interior designers. Every one of them has a TV show and will settle for nothing less than a professional reno of at least $70k. They are better than the rest of us and we should be honored in their presence.
OP, I think your feelings were hurt because most people said it was obviously a DIY update. It was not a remodel.

I have no problem doing what I want to make my house a home as long as it makes me happy. I really don't care what anyone else thinks about my updates/decor tbh.

Unfortunately, most people do not want to buy a house that has DIY features that are obvious DIY fixes. The big concern with me would be if the work was done properly or if you just put a cosmetic "band aide" on something that was a bigger, more costly issue.

And if you live in a full disclosure state and you did not disclose that you had done unlicensed work you could be held responsible if your diy caused an issue after you sell your house. Cosmetic DIY is fine but DIY electric, gas. structure, etc is completely different.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post

And if you live in a full disclosure state and you did not disclose that you had done unlicensed work you could be held responsible if your diy caused an issue after you sell your house. Cosmetic DIY is fine but DIY electric, gas. structure, etc is completely different.
You would only need to disclose unlicensed work where a license is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate