Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:08 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The place was built in 1997 when tile counters were the norm on the West coast. My new condo in SoCal had white tile with white grout -- what a nightmare! I wouldn't even pour coffee over the counter for fear of staining that grout!
My parents retired to Las Vegas in the early 80s. Their kitchen had those same tiles. I recall how hard it was to clean them when something landed in the grout.

If I bought a place that had tiles on the counter, I would have them pulled up and replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 10:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
The upstairs is interesting, I agree it’s much better laid out. It almost looks like the secondary bedroom is bigger than the primary bedroom. I also liked it has a laundry upstairs.

But you’re right, the lower level just seems kind of wrong. The fireplace appears very tiny. Like completely the wrong size. And I’m going to say it might be the fact that everything is mind blindingly white. Apparently white is the new gray. I’ve been looking at homes and more and more everything is all white. It’s difficult. It’s almost so bright that you can’t see details in photos. Kind of like over lighting actors blurs their faces to perfection.

I have never heard of a bathroom called a quarter bathroom. It’s usually a half bath.

At $355 a month for HOA dues, what do you get for that? Depending on what you get it seems a little high.

One other thing, I think the upstairs is possibly wider than the downstairs because of the garage there’s like a bump out. Maybe that’s why the lower level feels so slim.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:25 PM

20,678 posts, read 4,441,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellingham.../home/15813799

Positives are no shared walls, condition, a one car garage, and a cute little backyard.

Negatives are the floor plan, at least in my opinion. The structure is very narrow, and two stories tall, with each floor being around 600 square feet. If you take the 3D tour in the pictures, it can give you a sense of how it feels inside. Also, with no rooms on the main floor and little storage, you’ll be going up and down those stairs. A lot.

I’ve viewed it, and despite it checking off my boxes, just don’t like the floor plan. Would you find this layout unappealing as well? The upstairs is slightly larger because the stairwell doesn’t cut into the space.

IMHO The bad:

Condo, HOA
Kitchen: small, electric range, dishwasher
Washer/dryer stacked
two floors

Kitchen is too small to squeeze in a unnecessary dishwasher. Side by side washer/dryers are more efficient.

IMHO the good:

2 1/2 bath+
bathrooms & closets separate
small backyard to maintain

Old 07-06-2021, 10:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The upstairs is interesting, I agree it’s much better laid out. It almost looks like the secondary bedroom is bigger than the primary bedroom. I also liked it has a laundry upstairs.

But you’re right, the lower level just seems kind of wrong. The fireplace appears very tiny. Like completely the wrong size. And I’m going to say it might be the fact that everything is mind blindingly white. Apparently white is the new gray. I’ve been looking at homes and more and more everything is all white. It’s difficult. It’s almost so bright that you can’t see details in photos. Kind of like over lighting actors blurs their faces to perfection.

I have never heard of a bathroom called a quarter bathroom. It’s usually a half bath.

At $355 a month for HOA dues, what do you get for that? Depending on what you get it seems a little high.

One other thing, I think the upstairs is possibly wider than the downstairs because of the garage there’s like a bump out. Maybe that’s why the lower level feels so slim.

Yes, the upstairs is certainly larger than downstairs. The top half of the building is physically larger, and you don’t have the stairs intruding on the space.

As I stated, the upstairs feels normal, but downstairs, it’s just very, very tight. I’ve looked at the unit three times, and each time, notice its awkwardness.

Dues cover water, front lawn upkeep, and exterior maintenance. But, because the reserves are on the low side, I would fully expect a special assessment for when that siding eventually needs to be replaced and not just repaired. Almost all of the siding that was used here in the Pacific Northwest in the late 90s is now failing.

The housing market here is just awful. Normally, I wouldn’t be interested in something like this, but inventory is tight.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:57 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Downstairs is snug, feels claustrophobic.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:14 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,254,250 times
That type of layout is pretty typical of townhomes, especially older ones. I‘ve viewed many, and the living room is pretty much always on the small side. I dont think these are aimed at families with 2 kids. A lot of the ones I see are rented out by their owners who moved once children got into the picture.

You are obviously not going to get the space of a 2,500 sq ft SFH in such a place. If you want that you need to pay for that. If you consider a high rise 2 bedroom condo as an alternative to this, those often will seem even less spacious and at least this one has a backyard. And it actually looks like a pretty nice backyard.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Yes, the upstairs is certainly larger than downstairs. The top half of the building is physically larger, and you don’t have the stairs intruding on the space.

As I stated, the upstairs feels normal, but downstairs, it’s just very, very tight. I’ve looked at the unit three times, and each time, notice its awkwardness.

Dues cover water, front lawn upkeep, and exterior maintenance. But, because the reserves are on the low side, I would fully expect a special assessment for when that siding eventually needs to be replaced and not just repaired. Almost all of the siding that was used here in the Pacific Northwest in the late 90s is now failing.

The housing market here is just awful. Normally, I wouldn’t be interested in something like this, but inventory is tight.
The upstairs is larger - the master bath is a bump out over the garage, and the back extends ~18 inches-2 ft.

The question becomes - what furniture do you have/need, what size is it, and take a tape measure to the first floor.

Unless you're specifically looking for a 1st floor master, then you're going to have steps anywhere. And if you ARE specifically looking for just a 1st floor master ... then why look at this home anyway?

I would say the garage, the "townhouse-like" nature for a condo, and the back patio are all strong benefits you usually don't get in a condo.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:28 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
The white on white on white look, with grouted tile counters and red oak plywood cabinets is right out of the 80s/90s. Color would help a lot. Especially with that long narrow section between the living and kitchen areas.

I think that's what makes the place look so small. It's basically a long narrow hallway that's too wide to be a hall but too narrow to place furniture there. I used the measure tool in the 3d mode; it's only 8 feet wide. It will really limit furniture placement.

When I was a young single guy, I could have lived in it or perhaps when first married as a couple starting out. But once past 30, I'd have to be in a regular house.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:31 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,941,823 times
The space wouldn't work for me. I don't like the door opening directly to the staircase. I think the living room is too small and awkward. I think the kitchen/dining area is too big for the size of the lower level. I really don't like the washer/dryer in the hallway upstairs. The lack of privacy would drive me crazy. In townhomes, I much prefer decks to patios. I'm not sure in that small a space that a garage works.

I think the layout would work better if the kitchen/dining area was in the front of the house (with a smaller, more efficient footprint) and the living room was in the back of the house. That way you could extend the living space to the gorgeous patio area.

I also didn't like the dual vanity that was outside of the bathroom. I'd much prefer a smaller sink in the bathroom and that space converted to a walk in closet or even a little office.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
450 grand, no laundry room, no walls (gymnasium), no basement, gramma style double bowl sink in kitchen, 2 very dinky bathrooms, and why a double sink in a bathroom most people today, even one person couldn't even fit in?... I do give credit for the bank of drawers in the kitchen. But 450 grand? In Manhattan, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate