Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 07:25 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times

Advertisements

I suppose it's a bit demanding to look at a small house and say it's too small, but it seems very cramped to me. Not much space, including work space, in the kitchen. (I wouldn't want those counters, but that's an easy fix; pro tip: they still make formica and it's legal to install in a kitchen.)

Same with the main bedroom. It appears that the closet is tiny and they're trying to make the bedroom look bigger than it is by showing it with a double bed rather than a queen.

Whenever I watch those house shows on television one of the questions I always wonder about is where they keep their books. I guess if my wife and I were seriously going to downsize we would have to just get rid of them, but that would be painful.

No basement, right? As tight as things are I would like that for storage, but at least you know what to expect.

Other than the negatives, it's pretty attractive. I don't think there are any surprises, so it's just a question of whether you can live in a space that size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 10:40 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I suppose it's a bit demanding to look at a small house and say it's too small, but it seems very cramped to me. Not much space, including work space, in the kitchen. (I wouldn't want those counters, but that's an easy fix; pro tip: they still make formica and it's legal to install in a kitchen.)

Same with the main bedroom. It appears that the closet is tiny and they're trying to make the bedroom look bigger than it is by showing it with a double bed rather than a queen.

Whenever I watch those house shows on television one of the questions I always wonder about is where they keep their books. I guess if my wife and I were seriously going to downsize we would have to just get rid of them, but that would be painful.

No basement, right? As tight as things are I would like that for storage, but at least you know what to expect.

Other than the negatives, it's pretty attractive. I don't think there are any surprises, so it's just a question of whether you can live in a space that size.
I think space planning makes a big difference and I don't feel like this is the best use of the space - even within the limitations of a small, two story townhouse, I've seen others that felt more roomy and spacious than this one.

There are some good aspects, such as not having shared walls, although I live in a paired house that was constructed properly and I almost never hear my other side neighbor so that doesn't have to automatically be a problem. And that garden is lovely and I think a very well done use of that space. But I think the interior layout was not as good as it might be even with that same square footage.

As for books, yes, an open floorplan like this is not that conducive. I had about a dozen bookcases in my last house. I have a basement, so they ended up down there. But the reality is that I do about 95% or more of my reading on the Kindle anyway. So it's not that much of a hardship.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:31 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,788 times
I don't like it (for me). Stairs? C'mon, gimme a break. I'm 73 and stairs are not a desirable feature for me. The rest of it looked marginally OK, impersonal, cheaply done, and it has no appeal for me.

But hey, it's in the PNW and my uninformed guess is that that's probably a nice low price for that area.

Edited to add: OK, I just did the 3-D walkthrough as you suggested. Based on that, I'd say this is the last place on earth I'd want to live in. It has none of the features I want in a house, and it is so cramped!! Given the choice of this or a refrigerator box under a bridge, I think I'd choose the latter.

YMMV and of course it's great that we all are not identical people with identical wants and needs for a home.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 07-10-2021 at 01:47 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 02:01 PM

17,400 posts, read 16,547,378 times
This is one with a similar layout that sold recently. Looks pretty livable to me:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellingham.../home/15813888

Old 07-10-2021, 03:56 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
This is one with a similar layout that sold recently. Looks pretty livable to me:

I don't think anyone said it wouldn't sell, most of us just explained why we personally didn't care for it.

But seeing that closed listing from 5 months ago makes me think the original listing posted by the OP may be wildly inflated price wise. That second one has nicer finished, not the dated and ugly tile counter. Seems like 90K more is a bit more than just optimistic about how much prices have continued to rise in the past 5 months.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:06 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,973,336 times
Considering that 1100 sf is a really small amount of living space I think the listing that was furnished (from months ago) looked really nice and quite livable, especially for the price.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:47 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Would you find this layout unappealing as well?
Yes, the backyard, garage and upstairs does not make up for the tiny, unlivable first floor. I also do not like the lack of a window to the backyard in the primary bathroom.

If I were a single and needed to rent a place for six months to a year while looking for something else, maybe. However, to purchase it and live in it for years would not be something which I would consider.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:28 PM

1,047 posts, read 727,108 times
Default nice

Quote:

This is what I wanted to see. Don't know measurements still of OP's sofa but this looks livable. I had one place where I had the tv on a different wall, it was only good for one person.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:31 PM

1,047 posts, read 727,108 times
Default oh

Quote:

Looked again, it is love seat at best. And its a trick turning things to the side; chairs and tables all over. Be careful. Unless you are zen and like less furniture than this....Will be OK.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:53 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
They shouldn't have shoehorned a fireplace in there. The place is too small for it and it throws everything off kilter. I see it in a lot of places since developers just take a checklist of things people say they want and shove in as many as they can.

When I analyze a floor plan I'm looking for a living room that isn't a passthrough and has a wall for a sofa with a wall for a tv directly across from it, or at least a corner area if windows, or sliders take up most of the wall. I never want a tv in my bedroom so even living alone I want a space where someone else could sit down next to me and watch a movie.

Last edited by Ceece; 07-10-2021 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate