Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 2,753 times

Advertisements

I sold something like this earlier this year. The garage depth was the dealbreaker for almost everyone, and the narrow room is hard to stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 06:36 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellingham.../home/15813799

Positives are no shared walls, condition, a one car garage, and a cute little backyard.

Negatives are the floor plan, at least in my opinion. The structure is very narrow, and two stories tall, with each floor being around 600 square feet. If you take the 3D tour in the pictures, it can give you a sense of how it feels inside. Also, with no rooms on the main floor and little storage, you’ll be going up and down those stairs. A lot.

I’ve viewed it, and despite it checking off my boxes, just don’t like the floor plan. Would you find this layout unappealing as well? The upstairs is slightly larger because the stairwell doesn’t cut into the space.
For me, as a single person, I like it. It also depends on the location. Something like this would be out of my price range in my location. This looks like it would go for $800,000 to $1.2 million depending on particular neighborhood in Oakland, CA.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:28 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
........ I realize many people want big spacious places to live in ..........

Sometimes people who want big spacious places can not afford big spacious places so they have to settle for whatever is the best they can do in their price range.

That condo is too small for me, but I could make it work if that was all I could afford to buy.

In real estate, you have to get on the merry-go-round. Once you are on, you can work your way up by exchanging properties. If real estate goes up, so does the equity in your little condo, where if you are renting in your little apartment, the only thing that happens is prices go up and so does your rent and you are even further from buying than you were before.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The garage is between the living spaces though, was I think the point being described as a feature.

And it can be. I lived in a duplex where the garages were between us, and we never heard noise from inside the neighbor. Maybe that's the feature though.... it wasn't one garage, but two, meaning the occasional noise from the garage had another garage still between you.

Very different from sharing a wall with someone else's garage.
Those garages though are very odd. So even if it's just a garage wall the wall is in your unit. You're probably going to hear noise from it. Might even get fumes depending on if the windows are open. I don't like the recessed garages at all.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:15 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Those garages though are very odd. So even if it's just a garage wall the wall is in your unit. You're probably going to hear noise from it. Might even get fumes depending on if the windows are open. I don't like the recessed garages at all.
Anyone with an attached garage has one wall or more that touches part of their house even in a single family house.

And someone in a more typical style townhouse with a garage will not only have a shared wall with their neighbor's garage, they will share living space wall as well

https://www.rent.com/michigan/shelby...by-4-100074833

It sounds more like you object to the entire concept of a townhouse, in which case, your opinion isn't really relevant to people who are looking to buy a townhouse (regardless of whether that's their first choice or perhaps the only financially feasible choice they have in their desired location)

Old 07-13-2021, 06:20 PM

65 posts, read 40,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryRobertson View Post
I sold something like this earlier this year. The garage depth was the dealbreaker for almost everyone.
Why ?

Old 07-13-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In real estate, you have to get on the merry-go-round. Once you are on, you can work your way up by exchanging properties. If real estate goes up, so does the equity in your little condo, where if you are renting in your little apartment, the only thing that happens is prices go up and so does your rent and you are even further from buying than you were before.
Stocks, my friend. Stocks

Old 07-13-2021, 06:24 PM

2BR and 1200 sq ft is MASSIVE for a single person.
2.5 baths? You can and should live in half that space.
1BR 1BA is all you need!

Gold door knobs not my thing.

Where does the TV go in the living room?

What costs does the HOA cover?
Plowing? Mowing? Exterior?

I like the wood floors on main level and carpets on 2nd level.

This condo is very well staged. Less is more.
Dining room table will make that room crowded.

How does that fireplace work?
Is that a vent in the front of the house?
The other units don't have a chimney?

Why is Bellingham so desirable?
It's 2 hours from Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate