Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 10:08 PM

15 posts, read 12,382 times

Advertisements

Told them absolutely no furniture. They reluctantly countered with 5k off. We told them if we could not see the inspection report to justify the discount we would decline their counter. They finally sent it over. We took care of the biggest issue already regardless if we continued with this buyer or not. The next biggest issue was some wood rot around an outside door. The other minor issues were caulking around 1 toilet, a chipped base board, and 1 smoke detector needed a battery replaced. They wanted 5k off for that.

We called a repairman for the wood rot and got a 800-1k quote depending on how severe. We sent a counter offer 1k off initial agreed upon price. We agreed to the one major repair covered by insurance, everything else as is, we would not be negotiating on anything else. They countered back with 3k off. Buyer's agent tried to play hard ball and said they were walking if we didn't accept. We said cool, bye. They held out for several hours and just now accepted and signed the contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 03:28 AM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa1015 View Post
We listed our home and had several offers within 24 hours. The one we selected is now coming back to bite us in the rear. The home inspection was completed and several issues came up. One is a big issue that insurance will take care of and we will fix. However, the buyer's realtor won't send over the list of repairs yet. They are wanting us to agree to conditions before we see the report. They are asking for $4000 off asking price and they want almost all of our personal furniture/belongings. The furniture they are asking for is worth over several thousand dollars and about everything is almost brand new. They stayed at the showing for over 3 hours. During this time they went through each room and photographed every personal item they wanted to use as leverage for repairs. I am actually disgusted by what they asked for. I was more than willing to compromise on repairs but they want all our personal belongings. Some things cross a boundary into just plain creepy. We are ready to walk and relist just to get away from this buyer. What is everyone's opinions?

I am the first one to announce creepiness. Oddly this does not sound creepy to me. I would consider selling some of my furniture when I sell. I might even mark it with an "available" tag.

I am guessing what makes moving even more expensive is you have to upsize and downsize furnishings that don't work in a new space. I think it is a blessing in disguise if you ask me. I'm not a RE Pro; just a fan.

You would maybe be in a better negotiating position if you had your home inspected and repaired prior to putting it on the market. Should they need to tell you what needs repair in your own house?

Old 07-15-2021, 03:38 AM

882 posts, read 766,906 times
I’m glad you were able to come to agreement. Hope the closing goes off without a hitch.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:34 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I don't understand. What would the purpose of the inspection period be if not to give the buyer an out if he finds something he doesn't like? And, no, attorneys don't draft the contracts -- at least not in Texas. Realtors use forms.
The discussion was centered on a contention that sellers always retain a right of unilateral termination during inspection periods. Of course, selllers don't in many areas.
And, as noted in the discussion, attorneys do draft final sales contracts in some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
This is intended to deal with the statute of frauds. There's no contract regarding real property until the agreement is in writing. The parties can use a form that (presumably) was drafted by attorneys and adopted by a governing body like the Texas Real Estate Commission in Texas.
Some areas use two documents, both in writing.
The first is in writing but only loosely binding on the parties. The second is the legal contract to sell. In some areas it is typical for attorneys to draft contracts, as noted the quoted NYC Bar snippet.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Told them absolutely no furniture. They reluctantly countered with 5k off. We told them if we could not see the inspection report to justify the discount we would decline their counter. They finally sent it over. We took care of the biggest issue already regardless if we continued with this buyer or not. The next biggest issue was some wood rot around an outside door. The other minor issues were caulking around 1 toilet, a chipped base board, and 1 smoke detector needed a battery replaced. They wanted 5k off for that.

We called a repairman for the wood rot and got a 800-1k quote depending on how severe. We sent a counter offer 1k off initial agreed upon price. We agreed to the one major repair covered by insurance, everything else as is, we would not be negotiating on anything else. They countered back with 3k off. Buyer's agent tried to play hard ball and said they were walking if we didn't accept. We said cool, bye. They held out for several hours and just now accepted and signed the contract.

Well done.
They just needed a dose of firm reality, calling their bluff.

LOL Buyers agent should feel like a dunce.

I'm curious about "signed the contract," after all the discussion here about forming contracts. Was this a complete new contract or was this just a contract revision addendum?

Old 07-15-2021, 06:53 AM

15 posts, read 12,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well done.
They just needed a dose of firm reality, calling their bluff.

LOL Buyers agent should feel like a dunce.

I'm curious about "signed the contract," after all the discussion here about forming contracts. Was this a complete new contract or was this just a contract revision addendum?
It was a contract revision addendum.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
It was a contract revision addendum.

Thanks for confirming. Good luck with the rest of the closing process!

Old 07-15-2021, 07:58 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Their agent really should have stopped them from going through cabinets and taking photos of personal property. A quick glance to see the size of a closet is one thing, taking photos of people's personal objects found in cabinets is WAY over the line. I wish OP well, and hope for them that this is the end of this buyer's shenanigans.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
When we sold our house, we put in the listing that the stove was not included. The buyer said the stove had to be included. We went round and round about this and finally gave in and included the stove thinking we could just buy another one like we had. After we moved, we discovered the price for that stove had gone up from the $3000 we paid for it to $9,000. After all the fighting to force us to leave the stove, the buyer took it out and put it on the front porch with a $500 for sale sign on it. When it did not sell, he took it apart and stuck it in the garage. For all I know it is still there. I considered asking a former neighbor to buy it and ship it to our new location, but the shipping cost was prohibitive. We could have put it on our moving truck at no added cost.

During the sale process, we also learned he was planning to gut and re-do the kitchen. We said that, since he was going to tear it out anyway, we wanted to take the antique sink that was in the kitchen to use in the house we were moving to. He said no way, he loved that sink. After we left, to took the sink and threw it in the back yard and then eventually gave it to one of our former neighbors to use in their laundry room.

Sure glad he did not insist on our including any of our antique furniture. He would probably have tossed it in the trash after we left.

We ended up really hating that guy (for several other reasons as well). I hate to be vindictive, but I was pretty happy when I learned that he had to sell the house at a $500,000 loss.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:20 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
Congratulations. Good negotiating.
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate