Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 12:44 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok. I see that now. But my question is still the same about "Is there a contract?".

I may be misreading it but it looks to me that the buyer came back after the initial acceptance and inspection asking for a $4000 concession and property. Doesn't that change the original contract acceptance and the sellers now have to agree to that change?

Absolutely.

In most contracts, buyer makes an inspection response request. Seller can accept, reject or counter the request...

But seller can't usually walk over the request. If they reject it, BUYER decides whether to walk, or accept the sellers terms, as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 01:14 PM

15 posts, read 12,382 times
Yes we have a contract 5,000 over asking contingent on inspection. We don't know how big or small the other repairs are because they will not disclose what the inspector found. They only disclosed the major issue that is already being taken care of as we speak. They countered with 4,000 off the first accepted contract and all personal belongings they photographed themselves during the showing and will drop all minor repairs. We want the inspection report but they keep sending the counter offer letter and will not let us see what the inspector found. We have informed them that they absolutely cannot have any furniture. They countered with asking price.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:22 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
While I don't think they are obligated to provide a copy of an inspection report that they paid for, I do feel the need to detail specifically what repairs they think are necessary to justify a price reduction.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:27 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Just say no. No furniture and no repairs until after you see the inspection report.

They will probably back down, but if they don't, put it back on the market and find another buyer.

(and hope they back out. What nutcases. You'll be happier to not go through an escrow with them.)

Old 07-13-2021, 01:29 PM

15 posts, read 12,382 times
That's what we were looking for at the very least. I just want an idea of what repairs they need to justify the discount.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:05 PM

6,813 posts, read 9,361,187 times
I know all real estate is local, but in my area, if that happened to me, I would just say “no†— and if the deal fell through, I’d go with another offer and/or put the house back on the market. At least where I’m at, the market is strong enough for sellers that going back on the market wouldn’t be a huge red flag or anything like that.’

When I sold my townhouse in 2012, I said that the washer and dryer was “negotiable†— basically meaning that if the buyer didn’t want the set, I’d be happy to take it with me, since I bought it about 5 years earlier and liked it. The buyer wanted the washer and dryer, but it was kind of interesting because I felt like she made a big deal out of it to the point where she wanted to walk through the house 30 minutes before closing to make sure the washer and dryer were there, as if I was going to scam her! And in my mind, I thought I was making it easier for the buyer, by offering to take something with me if it happened to not be wanted. Either way, minor issue but kind of amusing. For those who are wondering, I bought an updated version of the same set when I moved into my new house.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Do you have language in any typical current Standard Form contracts that provides the seller with the right to terminate unilaterally during inspections?
I haven't ever seen it.
Yup. Have you seen ever standard form for all 50 states? In NY it's in the standard form. There's a line that states if repairs exceed _______ dollars that either party can terminate the contract. The buyer puts in the amount they're willing to spend up to. In all 3 of the offers I've made my max was $1000. Either party could walk away if the repairs exceeded that amount.

If a house needs $100K worth of repairs why wouldn't the seller be able to walk?

Old 07-13-2021, 02:43 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,493 times
Isn't this a seller's market? I'd tell them no to everything.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:48 PM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Yup. Have you seen ever standard form for all 50 states? In NY it's in the standard form. There's a line that states if repairs exceed _______ dollars that either party can terminate the contract. The buyer puts in the amount they're willing to spend up to. In all 3 of the offers I've made my max was $1000. Either party could walk away if the repairs exceeded that amount.

If a house needs $100K worth of repairs why wouldn't the seller be able to walk?
But... Don't attorneys draft contracts in NY? Or, not in rural areas?
I don't claim to have seen all 50 states, but I have seen several without such a provision.

Regardless, I suspect that neither of us has seen the OP's contract docs for the transaction, so NY, NC, or 47 other states' typical standard forms are likely irrelevant.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But... Don't attorneys draft contracts in NY? Or, not in rural areas?
I don't claim to have seen all 50 states, but I have seen several without such a provision.

Regardless, I suspect that neither of us has seen the OP's contract docs for the transaction, so NY, NC, or 47 other states' typical standard forms are likely irrelevant.
No attorneys don't draft real estate contracts in NY. We have standardized forms. Your realtor drafts your contract. We have attorneys for closings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate