Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 06:58 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't put up with this nonsense in today's market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 07:30 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
In the price range and in some of the locations where I have so far looked, I often see "Offered partially furnished" or "furnishings included."
Yeah, I don't really get the consternation from others who think this is a weird situation.

The last two houses we purchased, one in Las Vegas and one in Miami, we purchased all the furniture and most of the furnishings as well. With the house in Las Vegas, we purchased it from a couple who had maintained it as a second/vacation home that they had only visited a few times in the 2 years that they owned it, so we knew that they probably didn't want or need the furniture or furnishings. After agreeing to the contract, we asked them for an all-inclusive price for everything else which we then agreed to. This was all done outside of the real estate closing.

When we moved to Miami, we bought a 3br house from a retiree who was moving to a 450 sq. ft. condo on Miami Beach. The seller was her own agent and she made an off-hand remark at the showing that she would be getting rid of everything except for one bedroom set. So when we made our offer, we wrote it to include the furniture and furnishings, but put some language in the contract that the value was negligible.

And just a few months ago, when we sold our condo in Miami Beach, we made it a point to say that the furniture and furnishings, with the exception of about 100k in artwork, would be included if the buyer wanted it. Selling it furnished was actually to our benefit because otherwise I would have had to arrange for it to be removed and then donated, given away, or disposed of. Fortunately, our buyers who were from Argentina, wanted everything, including kitchenware. All we had to do was pack a couple of suitcases and close the door behind us.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:35 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, I don't really get the consternation from others who think this is a weird situation.

The last two houses we purchased, one in Las Vegas and one in Miami, we purchased all the furniture and most of the furnishings as well. With the house in Las Vegas, we purchased it from a couple who had maintained it as a second/vacation home that they had only visited a few times in the 2 years that they owned it, so we knew that they probably didn't want or need the furniture or furnishings. After agreeing to the contract, we asked them for an all-inclusive price for everything else which we then agreed to. This was all done outside of the real estate closing.

When we moved to Miami, we bought a 3br house from a retiree who was moving to a 450 sq. ft. condo on Miami Beach. The seller was her own agent and she made an off-hand remark at the showing that she would be getting rid of everything except for one bedroom set. So when we made our offer, we wrote it to include the furniture and furnishings, but put some language in the contract that the value was negligible.

And just a few months ago, when we sold our condo in Miami Beach, we made it a point to say that the furniture and furnishings, with the exception of about 100k in artwork, would be included if the buyer wanted it. Selling it furnished was actually to our benefit because otherwise I would have had to arrange for it to be removed and then donated, given away, or disposed of. Fortunately, our buyers who were from Argentina, wanted everything, including kitchenware. All we had to do was pack a couple of suitcases and close the door behind us.
Some furnishings, maybe. But, the OP says the stuff was specifically excluded from the deal.
Router? "NO."
$4000 reduction in price and demand for furniture worth many thousands before sharing the repair request? "Go pound sand."

Old 07-13-2021, 08:18 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
Quote:

Moving stuff sucks and most people's stuff has little fiscal value so selling a house with furniture sounds like a great idea to me.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:36 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some furnishings, maybe. But, the OP says the stuff was specifically excluded from the deal.
Router? "NO."
$4000 reduction in price and demand for furniture worth many thousands before sharing the repair request? "Go pound sand."

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. My comment was mainly in response to other posters (such as the ones below) who thought the whole idea was strange, rather than to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa1015 View Post
If they want furniture they can work for it like we did. Just my opinion though. I didn't know people asked for personal items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
Is it possible the buyers want all the furnishings because they are some type of investor and want to rent the house out completely furnished? Just thinking out loud here.... otherwise it all seems quite peculiar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I have no advice but it is a really weird request. They seem like odd buys too, staying for three hours on a showing.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 12,377 times
I mean if we didn't care and wanted it gone no problem. We specifically stated what was excluded. It's going to take a few hours and some muscle but it's worth taking to us. We are not moving across the country just to a bigger home a few miles away. The couch was custom designed and everything else is new/expensive. It just weirds me out that they spent their time during their showing documenting all these items beforehand when we already said no to each item specifically. We've told them no so I am hoping they walk.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:03 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Router? "NO."
Agree. Either the buyer is unreasonable or they have a bad agent representing them. Just say no to this foolishness.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:10 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa1015 View Post
I mean if we didn't care and wanted it gone no problem. We specifically stated what was excluded. It's going to take a few hours and some muscle but it's worth taking to us. We are not moving across the country just to a bigger home a few miles away. The couch was custom designed and everything else is new/expensive. It just weirds me out that they spent their time during their showing documenting all these items beforehand when we already said no to each item specifically. We've told them no so I am hoping they walk.
Keep us posted....

RM

Old 07-13-2021, 09:12 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
First you catch the fish, then you filet the fish.

Some people only understand the word NO. And they will keep asking until you have the Cajones to say no.

One reason I like email and seldom talk to an agent is because I don't have to listen to all the whining and crying. You and your agent need to find a set.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:34 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Moving stuff sucks and most people's stuff has little fiscal value so selling a house with furniture sounds like a great idea to me.

I have 100 year old family heirloom stuff in the house. Not for sale with the house.
The rug my grandmother and mother brought back from Persia as WWII was breaking out? Not going with the house.
My wife recently bought a new chair. To replace it would be a 4-7 month waiting period. Our sofa was a 4 month wait. Not for sale with the house.
Washer and Dryer? There is an ongoing appliance supply chain disruption. Nope. Not for sale.

Plenty of deals get messed up unnecessarily over personal property. People, agents, should keep an eye on the real estate transaction, and avoid brokering furniture sales.
The OP did the right thing, communicating the excluded personal property clearly, it appears.

Now.... The best way to avoid these little peccadilloes: If it ain't for sale, it ain't in the house for marketing and showing.
And, that is not always possible.
But, the OP had multiple offers, and the buyers are treating them like pushovers. Time to say, "As you know we had multiple acceptable offers, and if you are not serious, we can resell in hours. Poop or get off the pot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate