Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,831 times

Advertisements

Hey Dogmom,

Wow, that's some serious rainfall and great pics. Bad news...flooding, good news...no alligators! SmokingPenelope, what a tragic, but inspiring story. Thank you for sharing it. Was looking at the pictures of Florida that Crazyma posted...white sand beaches...ahhh, if only.

I keep looking at the prices falling in my area, and think, if we sell now, we will give away any equity built over 22 years. Basically, selling for the building cost of s.f. in today's market.

I really don't know what to do anymore. We were thinking of relisting in February, but having the house on the market is such an added stress. In this area there are builder's specials...brand new houses, with more bells and whistles selling for less than what our asking price is. Guess they are dumping them to survive.

How are the markets in your areas? Any good news? Any showings?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 AM

525 posts, read 1,297,792 times
Hi All! I just wanted to stop in and say hi! And that I hope everyone is doing well. Our escrow process is still moving along (praise the Lord!), and we are still on track to close next week. I have been on pins and needles this whole time thinking something might go wrong. We have finally scheduled the ABF truck to load our things into and have started all the fun stuff like turning off/turning on utilities, forwarding mail, etc.

Next Friday we leave for a short Disney trip. We found this incredible deal at Sam's Club for 3 nights in a 2 bedroom condo plus 4 adult Disney tickets for only $175! It's at a timeshare resort, so they will try to sell us one, but sitting through a presentation is optional with this particular deal. They have called and offered us additional things if we sit thru the presentation, but we have an 18-month old, no thanks! And my parents gave us Disney gift cards for Christmas to help with food and stuff on the trip, so it might just be the cheapest Disney vacation ever We leave the day after we close on the house! ha ha!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
Wow, Boocake. I love Disney! Have fun! That's great that everything is moving along smoothly with the closing for y'all.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,360 times
Morning all, Nothing to good going on here in my neck of the woods. No calls or interest on the big house but we are now getting calls on the little house. Seems though most want a rent to own on it, no sorry it is for sale, next! My agent was telling me though that they got a "memo" saying that the down payment assistance plans may be cancelled, they are all saying it will be another nail in the coffin for sellers. These would effect the first timers I would suppose and not for places like mine, but who knows. Don't know what we are all gonna do. I think about all the people that HAVE to sell for what ever reason.

Football: Well the Dolphins I dont watch so...I do like the Colts only because of Manning since I am a UT Vols fan. But the Gators did win last night, which was nice.

Boocake Enjoy that vacation, you will probably need it after all the ink dries!

dogmom, That is alot of water! We have had sooooo much rain here too, but no flooding. I lived through a horrible flood on a river in IND back in 1978, watched houses wash away, just horrible. Keep on the high lands and stay safe!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,397 times
Default tgif

Good morning to all!

WOW dogmom, that's a lot of WATER!! Yikes, those poor folks that are getting flooded out of their homes. And oh that storage place, those poor folks whose belongings will be ruint. You guys be careful out there...no driving thru places you can't see the road~~

WELCOME Smoki! Yes I remember you were looking for condos. Is that what you got, or a single family? Oh Atlanta, home sweet home, how I envy you, never realized how much I liked the place 'til I left LOL. And bless your heart for the terrible time you have gone through. Yes, everyday is a miracle for sure. May you continue to heal and grow strong.We are glad you hiked into camp for fun and friendship, as we are for all who venture in

I have no idea what to tell you guys about listings, and all RE related matters. It is a very difficult situation. Those that want to buy can't. Now granted some of them really don't need to. I 'm afraid they may have unrealistic expectations of home ownership to begin with. So many seem to think a House Fairy is gonna come out of the woodwork and keep things up or repair stuff that breaks. And they seem quite shocked to find out the burden is ON them. Go figure.
I am afraid it is going to get much worse before it gets better. I hate to say that. But until people overall get their priorities in order and learn how to budget, understand their needs versus wants...its gonna be a tough road to travel.
BUT I still cheer for our sellers, and those looking to buy.YAY- you CAN do it! Patience is gonna be the key......and quit worrying about having your house 100% perfect. A good buyer will realize it is your HOME, and that is hopefully what they are looking for!

got something to check on be back

Old 01-09-2009, 04:26 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,397 times
I needed to make some homemade pizza sauce ( got some fancy rolls marked down yesterday and want to do mini pizzas tonite) BUT how can a person go to the Big Lots for a quick bottle watchamacallit of Italian seasoning, and wind up with 30$ of stuff!!??

banging head here...but it was good stuff! Cans of salmon & white meat canned chicken, tomato paste, pastas, dried beans, a 8 x 8 glass baking pan I've been wanting.....the prices were sooo good today!Wow it was near 60 here today, but down to 22 tomorrow. this is CRAZY weather.

I gotta vent~ Have any of you seen this story?
Children's clothing reselling becoming risky business - KTKA.com

I'm sure there is more out there about it...
here is another link
Frequently Asked Questions on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) (http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/faq.html - broken link)

someone also posted abotu it under the parenting forum.
I think this is the most INSANE!!!!! thing ever to pass. I had been serioulsy considering an etsy shop, and this crapola is possibly going to ruin life for many many people.
I swear the government needs to quit meddling and leave like this stuff alone. Let it be buyer beware and every man for himself. Good grief, we didn't have all these coakamamie rules and laws we most of us grew up. Everyone seems to want to blame every 'misfortune' on someone else..
GRRRRRRRRRRRR this really irritates the poo outta me.

well need to scoot, hope you are enjoying Friday!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,360 times
I am with you Crazy. the thing is more and more people are shopping thrift stores and they are surviving this economical mess. So that is why they are going to get hit now.

On to RE: I am yes me I am showing the little house in the a.m. The couple are wanting to rent it and my son is being an *** but he is coming around on it. It is a lonnnnnggggg story. But I will add that the biggest problem in this whole house thing is the dil!

Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 PM

253 posts, read 1,181,684 times
We ended up going with a townhouse -loving it so far!

I'm so sorry to hear of the flooding people are going through - that sounds horrible!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:07 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,719 times
Hey campers, well i have been absent all day...WE GOT OUT!! We went into Olympia, had to take the back road which added about 20 miles, but we got there..went to the mall and wanted to exchange a robe I bought the week before Christmas I washed it a few days ago and the zipper broke off..so I go to Macy's with the robe and of course no reciept, because it was for me and it fit so I tossed the receipt, i did not expect the zipper to break off..anyway, no robes like it..the salesclerk found one the same brand, without a receipt they could give me $8. I know I paid about $39 on sale..so i decided to just take the robe home and see if dh could try again to fix it..i mentioned that I lived in Elma and had a hard time getting there, and someone piped in that she had the authority to override it, so I got like $38 put back on my cc. Still, no robe but I will find one. I really, really liked that one though.

Ate lunch out..got home ok, same backroad...the main road is now open going eastbound, closed heading over to the coast..eventually the water goes somewhere else, and the road will open, i hear the Interstate is now open, and they had said Monday..Good job WSDOT!

CrazyMa I read that article on the used children's clothes, what a crock. I know for a fact how many shop at those stores, I did when the boys were young..this is going to hurt a lot of folks. What about having the buyer sign a realease that they are aware of the law and still accept the purchase..

We are heading down to SAC end of next week, to start househunting so I will take notes from a buyers point of view..I have a feeling we will be looking at mostly foreclosed homes and hopefully not a ton of short sales. Dont' want to really deal with those..I see the state of CA is having state employees in some departments take every other Friday off without pay. That kind of tells you how the market is going to be down there..

Tambre, not sure what to tell you...here is my opinion though. I think for right now, unless someone has to sell due to finances, or for a job move, it might pay to stay put as opposed to losing your equity. Had we not been going under in that house in Utah, we would have stayed a while.

I heard on the news this afternoon that Boeing here in Seattle is laying off 4500 employees, mostly white collar, no matter still folks without jobs, and the Post Intelligencer news in Seattle is probably going to close down at the end of the month if no buyer is found. More folks out there job hunting. And this is Washington state..not where you would think there would be so many problems as there was not a huge housing bubble here..problems all over.

Well need to get a diet coke and advil, I have a killer headache. Probably from the beer...lol

later, campers!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 AM

959 posts, read 1,823,880 times
Had another showing this morning. Doubt it went well because the agent did not even bother to leave a card.

On the upside, things seem to be picking up a bit here. Two showings in 3 days after having absolutely nothing for 2 months.

Barb - I cannot believe that water! Holy cow!

Kristine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate