Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,694 times

Advertisements

This may seem trivial but... I am in the process of making the flier for our FSBO home. As potential buyers (and smart women ) would the following items appeal to you and are they considered features to list on the flier?

Storage galore - I have 11 huge closets, 2 built-in bookcases, and a window seat that opens up to a ton of storage. We live in an area where attics either don't exist or can't be used due to the excessive heat. I do have an attic however, should I include that for someone coming from another part of the country who is used to having attics? Also - we have no garage (not terribly uncommon in my neighborhood or in the South for that matter) so I think other storage matters.

We live in a 1962 very well maintained home. The kitchen is updated and completely remodeled. The three bathrooms are updated to various degrees but not remodeled. One still has the original blue (vintage) tile in near pristine condition. Various agents have mixed opinions on it. One said change it, one said don't touch it b/c vintage is "in" with certain buyers and can help sell a house. I've seen websites dedicated to vintage baths and kitchens and they are growing in popularity but... are enough buyers into vintage to make my bath a "feature". My gut tells me no. What do you think?

The neighborhood is excellent - what as buyers would you want to know about it? I am fully aware of fair housing laws and am not talking about demographics, etc. I'm referring to things like "quiet street" or "friendly neighborhood" or "warm, welcoming environment".

What else should I put on my flier other than the usual sq. footage, number of rooms, etc. I want to attract lookers so I don't want to give all the information away on the flier. But, I really want to sell!

Please help!!!

Lorrie - We are near Charleston - Beaufort isn't too far away. This area is very nice for families. Do you visit often?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 AM

959 posts, read 1,825,112 times
Well......we got cancellation papers this morning from the buyers. The inspection report had faulty information about our windows not being up to code (which they are) and they just cannot handle that so they want to cancel. The inspector said my windows are not up to 2008 code and then flagged it as unacceptable. Well, my house was built in 2002 so no, it is not up to 2008 code! So there it is, the buyers think that water is just going to come pouring into the windows and they just cannot deal with that.

Kristine

Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,150,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Well......we got cancellation papers this morning from the buyers. The inspection report had faulty information about our windows not being up to code (which they are) and they just cannot handle that so they want to cancel. The inspector said my windows are not up to 2008 code and then flagged it as unacceptable. Well, my house was built in 2002 so no, it is not up to 2008 code! So there it is, the buyers think that water is just going to come pouring into the windows and they just cannot deal with that.

Kristine
Sorry to hear that Kristine.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,694 times
Kristine - I'm so sorry! I swear I think buyers in this economy sometimes have unrealistic expectations.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,935 times
Geez Kristine when it rains it pours That sucks! Could your agent hold some open houses for you? Maybe this is an in for another realistic ready and able buyer.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,935 times
Welcome In the Pines

Just want to give you the heads up on the FSBO. Doesn't seem many are doing straight FSBO around here...they at least do the MLS, but in our neighborhood someone did have success with it and never even hung a sign. I guess they didn't want to be bothered with all kinds of lookie loos and agents. It worked for them!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,926 times
Quote:

Kristine
Oh Kristine, I am so sorry...what a mess..if someone wants a BRAND new house opposed to a house that is 'broken in', as I like to think of it, then go by a frickin brand new house..don't play with sellers, and give them all this stress..good grief..I am sending lots of hugs your way..a better buyer is just around the corner sweetie....
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/bboyack/Graphics/Hugs.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,349,612 times
Quote:

Kristine
Kristine- So sorry for these incredibly rude people. I don't get it? How could your windows fail a home ins. when your house was built in 02??

What would they want? the windows replaced??? Why wouldnt they be up to code??? what reason?????

Can you imagine these people? you would be worrying if they were going to bail at the drop of a hat. They are definitely not serious buyers!!
Did they ever even put a downpayment down???? wth is with people.

Let them go find the perfect house=---maybe one BUILT to their LIKING. They will never like anyone's home unless it is brand stinking new. I am telling you H and G have ruined us!!!!!!!!!!for all the people's expectations!!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,926 times
I think I am going to boycott HGTV from now on..I am tired of all this from buyers..so unrealistic..even a brand new house has issues..oh puleeze...this just sucks and the more I think about it the madder I get...NJ is right, they would have bailed at some time or another...so better now before you were totally in the middle of it..and whats with that inspector...so, a house built in 2002 is not going to be up to 2008 code..I'm sure your windows are fine..if you could see some of the windows we have had in homes.., i think if that had been their real issue they could have asked for a credit or something, but to just bail, no they were not serious..what a waste of time and I bet their agent is pissed..

Just tell them to pound sand...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,186,476 times
In the Pines- I DMed you, re- fliers

HAMMY!! Are those people idiots or what?!?!? Geesh they are so anal retentive I bet they spend millions on Milk of Magnesia. And what is up with that inspector??? I'd get his name and put him on my poop list You (the builder that is)would have never gotten a CO (certificate of Occupancy) in the beginning if something were not up to code!!! I mean , you all didn't change anything from the original plan of the house?? Not up to code!!! Lordy- some stuff just naturally gets grandfathered in!!
Geesh let them walk, what freaking nuts. Makes you wonder HOW many homes they have pulled this game on.
sad for you though too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate