Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,186,476 times

Advertisements

Our home in Jax had 2 windows in the MBR. 1 was not 'to code' because it was solid window no egress. But the oter opened. It didn't hold up our sell and we were not required to replace it.

That inspector f8ed up IMHO. It should not have mattered!
There is something called customary to the manor....I can't remember the exact verbiage, but it has to do with how and what a home was built with originally at that point in time. I forget how our agent in Jax explained it, but somethings do not have to be brought up to codes, if they were originally that way, and accepted as so when new. ( possible lead paint of course now has to be disclosed as such)

I would look into it as you would not want it to impede a future sale.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:33 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,487,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Rae, I was just going to tell you we will go check out your place...our friends can show us where or you can email me the address ok...we'll make sure everything is ok with it!
Ok, thanks just do a quick drive by...make sure it is still standing. I sent you the address. Have a great trip

Old 02-06-2009, 01:33 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,522,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Our home in Jax had 2 windows in the MBR. 1 was not 'to code' because it was solid window no egress. But the oter opened. It didn't hold up our sell and we were not required to replace it.

That inspector f8ed up IMHO. It should not have mattered!
There is something called customary to the manor....I can't remember the exact verbiage, but it has to do with how and what a home was built with originally at that point in time. I forget how our agent in Jax explained it, but somethings do not have to be brought up to codes, if they were originally that way, and accepted as so when new. ( possible lead paint of course now has to be disclosed as such)

I would look into it as you would not want it to impede a future sale.

Some timess it is called grandfathered in.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,349,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
I don't even know the point of earnest money, really. Acoording to my realtor, they can pretty much walk for no reason at all. Besides, it is already in the inspection report as unacceptable instead of a recommendation.

Kristine
Didn't they have a downpayment on your house for the purchase and sales agreement????

Can't you get that money? since they walked??

Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 PM

959 posts, read 1,825,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Didn't they have a downpayment on your house for the purchase and sales agreement????

Can't you get that money? since they walked??
They can walk for any reason listed on the inspection report. The inspector put unnaccetable for our windows on the report even though he admitted they are fine. So they are using that excuse to walk away and apparently, there is nothing we can do. They put down $3400 earnest money but are getting that back. It sucks.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,050,338 times
Default So Sorry....

Hammy,
I'm so sorry to hear your news! The buyers must have wanted out... how can they live with themselves?

I imagine you must be beyond disappointed. Please be good to yourself and your little one (congrats, by the way)... you deserve a break from all of the stress.

Too bad there is no way to get at least a portion of the earnest money back - what good is it if you cannot get something for your trouble?

Take care everyone... Happy Friday!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,935 times
Quote:
They can walk for any reason listed on the inspection report. The inspector put unnaccetable for our windows on the report even though he admitted they are fine. So they are using that excuse to walk away and apparently, there is nothing we can do. They put down $3400 earnest money but are getting that back. It sucks.
Wow doesn't it just figure that those bizarre people would also have a bizarro inspector?? He admitted they are fine but wrote them up as unacceptable...go figure...I don't get it!

When we were just talking with our agent about inspections and stuff because you just don't know, and I have heard stories of these nutty inspectors, she alluded to the fact that earnest money can be kept etc.

But maybe they do have a valid out the way the contract reads along with the inspection report.
I just don't get how he could say they are unacceptable...I think those people are just bonkers!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:00 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
I'm afraid to post-as I'm still so mad at Hammy's idiots.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,446,083 times
Hi all, Just getting in. Hammy That idiot inspector needs to correct the report ASAP and forward an amended report to those ***** then you may get to keep the earnest money. Either way you need a corrected report for the next buyers to look at and it will save time on the next go around. Okay I have to admit when you said they looked at it way back when at the open and couldnt afford it then and now with the lower price thay can well I dont think they could afford it and was looking for a way out of it. It still pisses me off the way these sales are going.

Nothen' new on my end. Just spoke to my agent and he said that with the proposed buyers credit from Obama hes getting calls. People wanting to know about it and IF it goes through they will buying. Now why would a buyer call an agent to question this credit when it isn't approved yet, dont you think they should be calling brokers or financial folk? But if it happens then maybe it will help, I dont have the crystal ball so I don't know.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:44 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,889,463 times
Quote:
Well......we got cancellation papers this morning from the buyers. The inspection report had faulty information about our windows not being up to code (which they are) and they just cannot handle that so they want to cancel. The inspector said my windows are not up to 2008 code and then flagged it as unacceptable. Well, my house was built in 2002 so no, it is not up to 2008 code! So there it is, the buyers think that water is just going to come pouring into the windows and they just cannot deal with that.

Kristine
Kristine I am so very sorry!!! I pray you get better buyers with a better offer!!! You don't need the stress and those people would have caused stress right up to closing and then probably still would have walked. I hope Karma hits them in spades!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate