Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:38 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,227,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, those "men" in prision aren't alpha males. A REAL alpha man would never end up in prison, unless he was convicted of murdering his wife's rapist, or some other scumbag who had hurt his family.

Read CaliDude's post above (#69) to understand what a real alpha man is
Hallmark opinions.
Alphas are usually highly muscular, lots of testosterone, aggressive, decisive, controling - in today's world that may mean becoming CEO, a cop or, often a criminal when paired with poor impulse control.

Wiki
In social animals, the alpha is the individual in the community with the highest rank. Where one male and one female fulfill this role, they are referred to as the alpha pair (the term varies when several females fulfill this role – it is extremely rare among mammals for several males to fulfill this role with one female). Other animals in the same social group may exhibit deference or other symbolic signs of respect particular to their species towards the alpha.

The alpha animals are given preference to be the first to eat and the first to mate; among some species they are the only animals in the pack allowed to mate. Other animals in the community are usually killed or ousted if they violate this rule.

The term "alpha male" is sometimes applied to humans to refer to a man who is powerful or in a high social position. Alpha female is used to indicate a highest-status female.
The status of the alpha is often achieved by means of superior physical prowess. The individual in the alpha position usually changes when another challenges it to a fight (in some species to the death) and wins. Consequently, alphas may have to fight individuals in their own group several times to maintain their position throughout their lifetimes. In species where the fight is to the death, alphas rarely reach old age. In some species, a nomadic individual may approach the alpha, successfully beat him, and thus become the new alpha. When this occurs in lions, the new alpha usually kills the previous alpha's cubs. In lions, several individuals may share alpha privileges in what is known as a coalition.
The social group usually follows the alpha to the hunt and to new breeding or resting grounds. The alpha is thus sometimes seen as deciding the fate of the group. If two groups of the same species find themselves competing for the same ground, they may let the alphas fight, letting the outcome decide which group stays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,387,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
No, it's not. I don't need feminism to tell me what things men and women have in common.

Yes, there is. Both men and women value their independence and don't want to feel like they need someone else in order to get by.

That's simply human nature, since human beings live for number 1 above all else. By definition, human nature applies to all, gender notwithstanding.

Feminism has brainwashed people, since it's seen now as un-PC to say that men and women are different and that any difference per se denotes superiority over inferiority. East Asians have different skin and hair colour to whites, that difference in itself does not indicate which race is better or not.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,320,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
The reality, is that betas are the result of feminism. Women complained that men wouldn't do domestic work, a share of it, so men got more feminized, and are "nicer" and do housework, now women are complaining that men are not manly enough which is the direct result of society feminizing men.
Being nice and doing housework does not keep you from being manly. A manly man in my opinion is one who does what needs to be done without complaining about it. He is strong, yet gentle when he needs to be. He is someone a woman can lean on, but he is not too proud to help out around the house. My father played football in highschool and college, but he also helped my mom around the house. She helped in the yard too. They did everything together. They liked being together, so it was natural. He would make her breakfast in bed on weekends, and never worried about a man's role. No one would ever say he is not manly. He is tall, broad-shouldered, can fix anything that is broken, works out daily, yet he is the most loving man I know. When we try to pigeonhole people into one role or emotion, it doesn't work out.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:05 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,649,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
That's simply human nature, since human beings live for number 1 above all else. By definition, human nature applies to all, gender notwithstanding.

Feminism has brainwashed people, since it's seen now as un-PC to say that men and women are different and that any difference per se denotes superiority over inferiority. East Asians have different skin and hair colour to whites, that difference in itself does not indicate which race is better or not.
Oh I see. So if someone is reluctant to point out the differences between the genders, then it follows he or she is worried that doing so will imply that one gender is better than the other. Actually, the real reason why people are reluctant to highlight those differences is because they know that men are more alike than some people want to admit. The problem is that some people just can't accept that. If anyone's been brainwashed, it's the people who attack feminism, accusing it of brainwashing the masses all because they can't cope with the fact that their views are no longer part of the mainstream. These people just can't stand that women actually have standards that many men no longer live up to. These man also can't cope with rejection so it's easier for them to blame feminism and political correctness than to own up to their shortcomings.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Quote:
That's simply human nature, since human beings live for number 1 above all else.
That's not true, otherwise human beings would not seek out communities, groups, congregations, cities to live in/associate with. Throughout history, humans have always lived with other humans.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,747,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

I think you are projecting here.

Humans have evolved as a group. This epidemic of individuality is a western notion that came about in the 20th century.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
STT, don't steal my line. I want to pity him.

Poor poor beta!

All these loose women and you can't get some. Dude you need some reassessing. Some couch work maybe. Just sayin.
No plagiarizing intended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Correction on your last sentence, than rather be with YOU, dude.
That seems to be true judging by his many previous posts on the same subject. What's odd in a sense is that he's not Quasimodo by any stretch. He once had his photo posted and he isn't an ugly short guy, is actually a quite good-looking man of average height. Thus (and as is demonstrated by his threads and posts) it's his misogynistic bent which turns off potential dates. Most intelligent women can smell a woman-hater from miles away. Poor beta doesn't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's not true, otherwise human beings would not seek out communities, groups, congregations, cities to live in/associate with. Throughout history, humans have always lived with other humans.
And likewise animals have lived with other animals with often those of different species cohabiting both in the wild and domestically. Social intercourse is evident throughout the whole animal population which includes humans.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think you are projecting here.

Humans have evolved as a group. This epidemic of individuality is a western notion that came about in the 20th century.
How is it projection? Self-interest is the basic human motivation. Individualism is a recent trend in human history, but no individualist foregos human contact since humans are by nature social beings.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Oh I see. So if someone is reluctant to point out the differences between the genders, then it follows he or she is worried that doing so will imply that one gender is better than the other. Actually, the real reason why people are reluctant to highlight those differences is because they know that men are more alike than some people want to admit. The problem is that some people just can't accept that. If anyone's been brainwashed, it's the people who attack feminism, accusing it of brainwashing the masses all because they can't cope with the fact that their views are no longer part of the mainstream. These people just can't stand that women actually have standards that many men no longer live up to. These man also can't cope with rejection so it's easier for them to blame feminism and political correctness than to own up to their shortcomings.
I don't care if other men cannot cope with rejection. It's not my issue, nor business.

However, there are quite a few who are offended by the fact that men and women are different, and that this difference is used to justify oppression of women. I am not approaching it from that angle. Women should be free to do whatever men can, even if there are some differences between them and us men. You and some others in this thread are commenting on gender roles, but I'm talking about root psychological traits. Men and women have different brain structures, as well as different hormonal types, so this lends to psychological and behavioural differences.

Gender roles are loose extensions of these psychological traits, which were developed very long ago when our knowledge of psychology was non-existent. I think personally that older and more traditional values are being discarded since our knowledge of the world invalidates them.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,065,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
The Alpha males will always dominate the beta males.

"Only the strong survive"
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships